Dallas - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 15, 2013.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Monday was the last time we'll see any new footage of Larry Hagman. The scene with him learning how to use his tablet was cut from one of the earlier episodes this season before Hagman died. (There's another scene in a previous episode where he's using the tablet and seems to know what he's doing with it, though you're right that someone else hooked him up with the virus.)

The Dream Season is frustrating but ultimately worth watching because there's a lot of good storylines — Sue Ellen going through the agony of detox rather than simply willing herself not to drink (which she does in Season 10 after the reset); Ray and Donna adopting a deaf kid; and some of Victoria Principal's best work on the show. Even the utterly ridiculous cat-and-mouse game involving J.R. and Angelica Nero has its moments.

There actually will be an episode next week, titled "The Furious and the Fast", but AFAIK we won't see any footage of Larry Hagman.

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Josh Henderson (John Ross) is posting lots of private pictures of the cast with Larry Hagman on facebook lately.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So tonight is a new but an entirely JR-less episode?

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't know, but I had a thought this morning on my drive to work and from it sprung forth a huge theory about the overall story and arc this season, based on some rumored and if true, MAJOR spoilers:

Recently, one of the DALLAS Facebook pages/fanzines posted some blurb about J.R. being behind Pam's disappearance back in 1987. But then I remembered - Cliff later found Pam and she swore him to secrecy about her whereabouts and her well-being. And even though she had re-married her doctor and we were led to believe she "only had months to live," that was effectively the last time we saw her.

But what if J.R. was in fact behind it? What if, after her accident, he had either found her and found a way to keep her away from Bobby and the Ewings, or if J.R. had in fact been the one who made her disappear to begin with?

Earlier this season, when J.R. confronted Pamela/Rebecca at Barnes Global, he made the offhand remark:

"You're not the first Pamela to fox her way into the hen house and I'm 1 for 1 so far on getting rid of Pamela's and I plan on being 2 for 2"

At first, I thought, "That's not right. Pam was horribly disfigured in a fiery car crash and left Bobby and Dallas to recover on her own. But what if J.R. had been behind it all along?

I don't like the idea that J.R. might have caused the crash - that seems a bit too far to go, even for him. But upon learning of the crash and Pam's condition, I certainly wouldn't put it past J.R. to sieze the opportunity to get rid of her once and for all.

But think of the ramifications - Bobby, upon learning about J.R.'s complicity would be wracked with anger, guilt, grief, and hatred for his deceased older brother. Sue Ellen would be furious. Christopher would be devastated but also very motivated to find Pam. And poor Ann would have to contend with all of it - dealing with the ghost of her husband's ex-wife all over again. (What do you wanna bet the show still won't mention April? :lol: )

Meanwhile, I think everything we've been seeing about the Ewings vs. the Barnes, Cliff and Pamela/Rebecca's vendetta, etc... even Harris Ryland fucking around with Ann - I think it's all been a masterstroke of revenge by the Barnes family to defeat the Ewings once and for all.

Imagine the mindfuck if, after 15 episodes we find that not only is J.R. dead and we've seen all these familiar old faces but then in the season ending cliffhanger, Victoria Principal as Pam showed up as Cliff's partner in crime?

EDIT: Well, never mind. Still... misdirection certainly wouldn't be unknown in Hollywood, but this would seem to put a definitive end to my theory. Oh well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. doubleohfive

6. doubleohfive

7. cardinal biggles

#2 is my favorite confrontation, if only because it also led to a pool fight that Ray and Clayton had to break up. :D

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Not quite. Disney doesn't own CBS, it owns ABC. ;)

9. doubleohfive

No, but Dynasty aired on ABC, which is the correlation I think that Admiral2 was trying to make, that someone from Dynasty/ABC/Disney would have shot J.R. because Dallas/CBS was doing better numbers than them. Though, when did Dynasty start? Was it even on the air when "A House Divided" aired?

10. cardinal biggles

Dynasty began its run in January 1981, about two months after "Who Done It," where they revealed the culprit. It should have begun airing in the fall, but was delayed by the 1980 SAG strike.

11. cardinal biggles

Woah, J.R. showed up at the beginning of tonight's episode! I'm pretty sure that's reused footage from a Season 1 episode.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was surprised to see Ted Shackelford last night. Last I heard, he wasn't going to do the show. Guess he changed his mind. Nice jab at that with the "I'm strapped for cash." line.

And J.R.'s last scene looked too perfect to be footage that was shot earlier. If that was reworked from something else, then I'm impressed, and they were lucky.

13. doubleohfive

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm pretty sure I linked an article in the last thread that confirmed Shackleford and a few other familiar faces from the old show would be back this season. :)

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Looking back, I see that you did. I think I was trying to avoid spoilers.

15. doubleohfive

Ah. Fair point then. :)

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The implication above was that Dynasty's network hired the shooter. In America, that was ABC. :cool:

Lucky to have the footage, sure, but kudos to the editors for making the scene work out that well.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Disney didn't own ABC in 1980.

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were three great but oh-so-brief scenes with J.R... and I couldn't figure out if they were really shot as-is (and spread out through ep06 and ep07) or made from unused scenes from last season or maybe they pulled a John Candy in Wagons East and CGI'ed ol' J.R. right up.

Any thoughts?

Otherwise It was great to see him one last time. While most of the storylines were engaging, I was on the edge of my seat wondering about the fate of JR!

19. doubleohfive

No, they didn't. But now we're treading in to "thinking about this far too seriously."

Ditto. I had a feeling they'd save the death for the end of the episode, but I wasn't expecting that.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, my inner nitpicker took over.