Day of the Dove (unresolved ending)

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Terran_Empire, Aug 17, 2014.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually distinct (admittedly without the s) is a English word. So, Klingon warriors could deliberately cultivate a distinct scent, which would set them apart from the general population.

Perhaps this odor is the source of that background "mist" we see hanging in the air in Klingon warships?

:)

2. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing about this episode that deserves mention is the animation of the *. Most especially noteworthy is the (at least one) corridor-panning shot, with the animation superimposed onto it, giving the impression that the camera is following the *'s movement. Disappearing down that ladder alcove..slipping between the seams in a door...all sorts of shots like that. Often, any animated effects on television back then weren't so nearly convincing, but they made the * really live in the environments it was seem in. Great work! :techman:

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Thanks! :techman:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry for the late to the party post, but I was wondering if the * had showed up in other Trek fiction, like comics and the like. I appreciate the tidbit from the author :D

Personally, this is among my favorite TOS episodes. I find Kang, and Mara, to be far more fleshed out as characters, and make him one of the more memorable Klingon characters. He has a certain charm, a no nonsense style of leadership that is very direct. All in all, I liked the fact that he had no problem with fighting Kirk, but recognized that the battle meant nothing if all it did was benefit * and not actually be an honorable battle.

Now, reviewing Memory-Beta for info about * and Kang :D

5. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, * also makes an appearance in Greg's The Q-Continuum, which is a great book that I highly recommend.

6. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

We can see that the nature of the Klingons has been an evolving concept since their first appearance on TOS. The first movie determined how they would look like, until then they were little more than dark skinned, black haired, humans with a rustic appearance and a rude demeanor.

7. fireproof78

This is perhaps the more interesting aspect of this discussion. Kang was not the fleshed out Klingon, part of a race of warriors, as we now know him to be in the universe. Rather, he is a soldier, fighting against the Federation, regardless of the reasons.

It's simplistic storytelling at its finest, but the deeper aspects of Klingon culture give it more flavor, in my opinion.

8. Kobayshi Maru

I wonder, when was the first time that we see Klingons eat live food with their hands? I believe I didn't see it until TNG but I could be mistaken.
    I remember that in The Undiscovered Country they have terrible table manners though.

9. fireproof78

I'm not sure, but TNG sounds about right for the time frame. It was probably part of the greater exploration of Klingon culture with Worf.

It is funny, with regards to TUC, that Azebur, Gorkon's daughter, becomes Chancellor, but in TNG a woman is not allowed to be Chancellor.

Another curiosity I have is when did Klingons become so fond of melee weapons? In Day of the Dove, it is from * changing the rules, probably so that it was an even match or not a one trigger pull fight. But, again, looking back, Klingons are supposed to be far more experienced with melee weapons.

10. Kobayshi Maru

I still thing that knives, swords and axes are no match for one of those wide range phasers/disruptors that can kill all the people in a room with one shot. In a realistic fight those batl'leth wielding Klingons wouldn't stand a chance.

11. fireproof78

Agreed. At least the Jaffa from Stargate mad their melee weapon their long range weapon ;)

More to my point is that in DotD the Klingons really should have had the advantage with the swords and things. But it seems pretty even.

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps melee weapons are prefered on Klingon starships so that they don't accidentally blow up the bulkheads with their disruptors.

Kirk did worry about others using his phaser as they might blow up an entire side of a building.

13. Kobayshi Maru

What's funny is that they seemed to go along with the change of weapons.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yes, but it's an adjective, and you can't automatically turn an adjective into a verb by slapping an s on the end, otherwise I could say "the vile comment pungents the air". :)

15. Kobayshi Maru

Some words just don't make a lot of sense.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I believe the live food thing was first introduced in "A Matter of Honor" with Riker on the Klingon ship, not Worf.

17. fireproof78

An episode that also featured Riker throwing a mouthy Klingon officer in to a console, and the console promptly exploding.

I actually had forgotten about that episode but watching some clips was actually pretty interesting.

18. Kobayshi Maru

Riker seemed to enjoy it at that.

19. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

The whole enterprise crew was present, but they were trapped on the lower decks. This was always a stretch for me b/c it meant that only 10% of the crew were shown, implying they only had access to roughly 10% of the ship. Is that enough to fight a war? Both sides needed space to strategize, fight, sleep, eat, bathe, use the bathroom, etc.

The shows says the alien did something to material to make it impossible to cut through to the rest of the crew. It also did something to their minds to distract them from that goal and get them focused on its little game of war. Once the alien was gone, it would have been a very easy matter for the Enterprise crew to get to the rest of the crew using cutting tools, overriding motors on the doors, or the transporter. Then the crew would have been able to control the Klingon prisoners. The only reason they were locked out of over half their ship was the creature.

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Kirk surmised that perhaps the * had influenced human history with all the violence, death and destruction in the past and now that he had identified it and it's needs humanity would be ready for it if it returned!
    JB:cool: