Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Jul 12, 2013.

?

How do you rate Pacific Rim?

1. A+

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. A-

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. B+

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A+

It's the most fun movie I've seen since Avengers, at least. I enjoyed every single second of it and will probably go to see it again soon.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny, I wasn't as blown away by the movie as others here were... but I still can't wait to own it on blu-ray and watch it again and again anyway.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think it's going to be one of those movies you'll always see playing on all the big tv's in stores like Bestbuy.

4. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Already posted on the previous page.

6. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

And at Costco!:bolian:

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

There were a few things that bugged me about the movie:

-Apparently, at the end of the world, the major world governments are unwilling to fund both the Jaeger program and the wall of life at the same time.

-Why is the leader of the Jaeger program unwilling to try that one scientist's idea? Is he afraid to risk one guy's life while dealing the potential end of humanity?

-Why is the science department limited to just two guys in a lab? Shouldn't they at least have assistants? You shouldn't have to risk the life of your best theoretical physicist on your other scientist's latest project.

-How in the world is a Jaeger more powerful than high-yield explosives?

-Why did it take so long for the Jaegers to utilize sharp objects against flesh-creatures? Punching is really inefficient.

-We know that nuclear weapons work against these creatures. Why were none of the major governments willing to nuke a few of these things? A few nukes aren't going to cause nuclear winter. You could also just try combining a lot of conventional weapons to have the same impact. Sure, it might take 40,000 conventional bombs to equal the yield of a small nuclear bomb, but we're talking about the end of the world here.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Only so much time, money, manpower and resources to go around.

9. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not buying it. They had a surplus of men working on the wall, and there appeared to be plenty of people wandering around those cities not working on the wall of life. The material used to construct a few Jaegers is miniscule compared to that needed to build a "wall of life" around entire countries. As for money: we're talking about the end of the world here. They could just confiscate the resources or raise taxes if they're that strapped for cash.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If you laid underwater nuclear bomb mines around the portal, wouldn't that cause very little harm to the greater environment?

11. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They stopped funding the Jaeger program because the kaiju were destroying the Jaegers faster then they could build them. It probably wasn't a good decision, but do governments always make good decisions?

We didn't see the Jaeger program at it's height, but at the end when it was no longer being funded. I'm sure they had a lot more scientists when they were actually being funded.

I think it was more that they didn't want to have to keep using nukes against the kaiju more then anything else.

The sword wasn't added to Gypsey Danger until before the battle where they used it, it seemed like only the Asian pilot even knew about it and kinda forgot about the upgrade until partway through the battle.

Well they were nuking the kaiju at first, but constantly nuking kaiju that are near major cities is obviously something that the world's governments would probably want to stop doing as soon as they had a viable alternative.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It wouldn't be "devastating", no, but underwater sea-life is still susceptible to radiation so it would cause some damage I also suspect it'd cause tusnamis on the surface.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd have to watch the movie again but I was under the impression that the portal wasn't very deep and was in semi-shallow water. Maybe that's my misconception...

14. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The Wall just didn't make any sense from the beginning. Even if it did manage to keep one out, they knew the portal would keep churning more and more out. I just don't understand the point of how anyone could have thought it was a good idea compared to countless other potential ideas. Hell, why not just gather up all the metals they wasted on the wall and dump it on top of the portal.

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't help. After years of Rangers fighting the kaiju hand to hand, even using cargo containers as improvised brass knuckles (why does an armored fist need brass knuckles anyway?) and using cargo ships as improvised maces it took that long to try one of mankind's basic melee weapons?

16. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I'm thinking the Wall idea wouldn't favor the worlds shipping industry too much either. What happens when the worlds oceans gradually fill up with giant, vicious, dangerous sea monsters because the walls keep them off the land or out of cities???

It looks like Pacific Rim will clear $85-90 million in China which should put the Worldwide Gross between $375 and $415 million. That makes a sequel much more likely. Good news for Pacific Rim fans. Brazil, Spain and Japan are the remaining markets for PR. Japan being the most important. Hopefully it makes $30-35 million there.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, they're not kidding about the importance of the foreign market, are they? At this rate, Del Toro could probably make a whole string of PR sequels, and if they all bombed in the US it probably wouldn't even matter much.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Right now it is showing a 104 million $ profit in total world wide box office. I read that the ssequel is underway but it could alays be cancled. If it contines to do well in the foreign market I still think a sequel is very possible.

19. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie would have made huge sense if it was made as an 1800's steampunk movie with giant steam-powered robots.

But anyway, whatever, lots of stuff blowed up so I give it an A

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Besides we have a real life example to compare it against. Towards the end of WWII Germany was being bombed into instinction by the allies - yet they seemed to muster up the resources to build huge underground factories. German slaves/citizens were churning out war materials up until the final days of the war.