Captain America Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Thor is in the midst of being cast...the latest being actress Jamie Alexander as Sif (I've never heard of her) and since there is an ongoing Thor thread I thought we could turn our attention to Captain America: First Avenger (god I hate that subtitle, why do we need a frakking subtitle??!!!!) and specfically who do you think will be chosen for Captain America? Before his death I really liked Heath Ledger as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Especially his role in Patriot...shave his head a bit into a crew cut and there is your Steve Rogers. I guess we can take this further and cast the rest of the movie as well. Bucky Barnes, Red Skull, etc.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I still think Chuck's Ryan McPartlin would be perfect for the role, but Hollywood would probably consider him too old at this point (he was born in 1975).

I think Chris Pine would do well, too, but he'd need to put on probably at least twenty more pounds of muscle first.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That makes him too young to me.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, since the Cap movie's going to start with Steve Rogers in World War II, a thirty-four year old actor really isn't too young at all.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

34? Shit, wasn't Steve Rogers in his early 30s when he became Cap?

6. Admiral_Young

I would like Chris Pine as Captain America...I liked him when he was in the running for Green Lantern as well. I agree with the muscle. Wasn't Cap like 19 when he volunteered for Operation Rebirth? He's probably operated in the modern era for ten or fifteen years by now. The movie seems to be divided into two halves, the majority taking place in World War II which in case Captain America should be in his early twenties (given a few weeks for boot camp training) and then the same for the end of the movie since he's frozen in ice for sixty odd years and found by either Howard Stark or Nick Fury (since we see a glimpse of the adamantium sheild in Iron Man we can surmise that they find Cap's sheild first).

7. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Steve would seem to have been in his late teens or early twenties. Not sure how anyone would think he was in his thirties in the early 1940s.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The look is there, would have to see his as more than one thing (Kings) to guess at acting chops, different roles, etc.

Visually, looks right...

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Late teens/early 20s (I think the comics most recently gave his birth-year as 1922, which would have made him 18 when he volunteered for Project Rebirth in 1940.

Between the affects of the serum and the general allowed age range, and actor in their mid-20s is about right. Cap is a bit difficult to cast because the actor has to be convey a personality that's a lot older than the character actually is.

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I'd try to find someone new, I think.

11. Admiral_Young

If he already wasn't Thor Chris Hemsworth would have been among my casting choices for audition as well.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Ryan McPartlin too. Maybe Jared Padelecki with blond hair.

13. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Yeah. Captain Awesome should be Captain America no doubt about it.

I heard a rumor they've already cast the other Winchester as Steve. It's probably bullshit though.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can Ryan Reynolds play this part too? :lol:

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

What about Chanum Tatum

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's more wooden of an actor than Josh Hartnett. And that's saying A LOT.

17. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Sam Worthington. I thought he showed some real charisma in Terminator: Salvation, he's got that whole square jawed thing going on, and he's just plain cool. :techman:

18. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Ryan McPartlin is the first name that pops into my mind.

Or Nick Nolte.

19. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

I know he's a little too old, but i thought Ben Browder might have done well with this part.

20. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought so too, but I dunno if he can really carry a whole movie, he's good for a series, but as CAP? I dunno. I always thought he'd be a good Winter Soldier/Bucky maybe. Or even Hank Pym.