Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

This might have been mentioned already, in which case please close the thread, but I just found out that the complete Farscape series is being released in a single DVD set on Nov. 17 here in North America:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GP7ZWI?ie=UTF8

And it's only about $100US. This is good news for those of us who couldn't (at the time) afford to pay the rather high prices the previous DVD-rights holders charged for the 1-2 episode singles and the rather expensive whole-season sets.

Looks like they've got most if not all of the original bonus features, too, including the great commentaries like the ones I heard on the couple of discs I picked up awhile back. I miss this show and am willing to pony up the $100 (for $135 here in Canada) for it.

Anyone know if this includes the mini-series?

Alex

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Last I heard it did not include the mini.

3. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I could've sworn that somewhere I read that there was going to be a special edition set that does include the mini-series, but the rights to it are still owned by Lion's Gate entertainment so it was probably in error and it will not be included.

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a related topic, I've started watching this series, looking for something to make up for the contemporary dearth of interesting sci-fi. I've heard the show receive a lot of praise in the past for apparently subverting standard tropes, but I'm a few episodes in now and so far I'm not really seeing it (other than the muppets as non-humanoid aliens), or why it gathered so many fans. So far it feels like a watered-down version of Lexx. Is this one of those situations were the show finds its footing later on?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Absolutely yes. It doesn't really start getting awesome until the last few episodes of Season 1.

6. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep watching. Its way better than Lexx.(which was just a horrible show)
    Farscape can get very campy at times but almost every episode has some good dramatic banter between the main cast.

7. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Yes Trent, it get's much better later. As RoJoHen said, it's the last few eps of the season where it picks up. If you watch "A Bugs Life" through the end of the season and are still bored, it might not be for you. But I think you'll like it.
    And don't skip to "A Bugs Life", the end of the season is not nearly as good without the story build.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree. While they might not be that great, the earlier first season episodes help you get to know the characters so that what they do at the end of the season actually means something to you.

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I don't know why this gets such a bad release in the US.

We've had this set in New Zealand for over a year.

Interesting, it says 25 discs. Our set only had 24 (6 per season). Maybe the mini is on it.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'll join the chorus. You definitely should stick with it, Trent.

I'll probably pick up this up at some point despite having the season 2 & 3 Starburst sets, if only because it's going to be impossible for me to find the remaining sets for a reasonable price.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I already own the whole series (I was impulsive and bought the original DVD releases even though they cost an absurd amount of money), but if someone wants to buy this for me, I won't say no. :p

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've already ordered it. I was in the mood for a sizable purchase, and as it happened I hadn't previously bought any of this show.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'd love to get this, as I don't have any of the Starburst sets, but I've already dropped a lot of money this month on Dragon Age: Origins and Modern Warfare 2, and with Christmas coming up, I probably won't be making any big personal purchases again until January. I'll definitely grab it ASAP, though. That price is practically a steal.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I bought the Region2 boxset already, but I'm glad to know that there's going to be an available version here in the states again.

15. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Farscape is my 3rd favorite show after Star Trek and Babylon 5. I've been waiting for years for some company to re-release this series as the original season sets were vastly overpriced. The second it's on the shelves it's mine.

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a bit longer than I was hoping. Then again, it's not as if there's anything else on (well, not that it's 'on', strictly speaking). Adequate space opera is better than no space opera, so I'll push on.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, there are still some good episodes in Season 1. But yeah, for the most part, it's not too special. But at least it isn't crappy!

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Season 3 on the other hand is one of the most amazing seasons of any show ever.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^This is true.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Season 1 is, for the most part, average to decent. It's not really bad, it's just a little slow and clearly the writers and actors were still feeling things out. I think the season really kicked into gear starting with "Durka Returns."

ETA: I completely agree about Season 3. :techman: