PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

So cute! And those are amazing photos. I love the lighting in them. It's masterful ... especially the lemonade shot. How do you get your daughter so well-lit with the bright window behind her?

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Our 19 year old stopped by the house with a car load of friends on their way to Spring Break on Saturday. Time flies.

Adorable pictures!

:techman:

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    My gym just got new equipment in, and all the personal monitors now have web access. Will be hard to resist temptation to log in to TrekBBS while ellipsing :)

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It originally started out as a Dora the Explorer party since she likes the show so much, but it slowly morphed into a fiesta theme instead. It was her idea to change the party to that theme too! My wife made the cookies as toppers for cupcakes and had the idea to present them in a sombrero. We also had a homemade pinata that my wife and daughter made together. All in all, the party was a big hit.

I actually cheated a bit with that particular photo. I shot it in evaluative metering mode so she turned out quite dark, but since I shot in RAW I was able to use Adobe Camera Raw to tweak it using a combination of Fill Light, Recovery, and boosted Blacks.

When I realized my error with the first couple of shots I switched to Partial metering mode and got a much better result which required very little tweaking.

[​IMG]

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You people do themes for your parties?!? With the chaos that is my house (3 kids from 5 to 14 years old), we're lucky to get a cake made, let alone wrap anything! :lol: Eh, our "parties" are just family members anyway.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

If it was up to me I would just throw some hot dogs and a cake on a table and be done with it, but my wife lives for this kind of stuff. She started planning this party the day after my daughter's third birthday!

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I've been trying to get myself out of a depressive funk lately, and after much cajoling from friends and family, I've committed myself to taking one good photo a day. (I hadn't used my dSLR since September 2013.) I'm sharing them on Facebook. The first three days' results (I started on Saturday):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Instagram filters, no Photoshop (outside of cropping and histogram correction), no Lightroom. The bokeh is captured entirely in-camera.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Very nice shots, Timby. You have a real eye for this. I especially like the image with the leaf.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I especially like the notebook.

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

This past Sunday was the Jewish holiday of Purim, so my wife and sons made some Hamantaschen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we went to a Purim Carnival at the Jewish Community Center, Purim is kinda like the Jewish version of Halloween. So the boys went dressed up as Astronauts.
    [​IMG]

11. Greylock Crescent

Timby, I really like all three photos. The DoF with the leaf really gives it character, but this:
    I just love it. It's a "classic" B&W photo. Kudos! :techman:

Well, there's no arguing the results. Especially considering the two other photos you shared above (the dress and the cupcakes). You've got a good eye for lighting. I may have mentioned before that your photos have a kind of "Norman Rockwell" quality to them (if I didn't I should have), and these just reinforce that.

Tom Hendricks, looks like it was a blast (pun intended)! Those photos really capture the joy of the moment.

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Timby, that notebook picture is sublime.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Would make a good blog picture header :techman:

14. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Absolutely.

Seeker, the little one has really grown! Just lovely.

15. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Timby, your photos are awesome. I especially love the one with the leaf.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Thanks, all. The notebook picture was really a happy accident -- it was late in the work day (I work from home full-time) and the weather was going to get nasty, so I wasn't going to be able to go outside to take a photo with anything resembling contrast. I closed my laptop and walked away for a few minutes to clear my head after a particularly frustrating call with a co-worker, and when I came back, I saw my notebooks, realized the lighting was casting some great shadows, and knew I needed to capture it.

Not sure what I'm going to take today, though. Very grey, overcast skies, so contrast will be an issue again. Might have to do another interior object / setting.

17. Greylock Crescent

It's been pretty cold here in NYC over the past couple of days ... but there are signs of spring, and I managed to capture a couple of them last Sunday (among some other sights)!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Wow! Those are terrific. :techman:

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Those are all fantastic. I really enjoy the Empire State Building against the black sky. Quite atmospheric.

20. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Damn, I miss that city. Next spring I'll be back, hopefully...