Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

That's obviously a personal issue for you. Yeah, I have to admit seeing an integrated movie theatre took me out of the film for a second, but then I remembered it wasn't a film about racism or civil rights. Nor was it a historical documentary. It was a action adventure film based on a comic book. It would be like expecting commentary on Western Imperialism in North Africa or Japanese expansionist policies in Asia in an Indiana Jones film. Sure those things were happening at the times and places of Indy's adventures but are they needed in those films?

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know that Captain America was not designed to discuss racial segregation in the US Armed Forces in WW2. But an acknowledgement of it, and the hypocritical fight against Nazi racism while practicing homegrown racism wouldn't have been a bad thing nor would it have derailed the film. It could've been about Cap fighting against bullies no matter their uniforms and showing that we were all in it together against the Nazis.

Because the film went almost totally into the realm of fantasy with Hydra, it didn't bother me much, and we did get just a smidgen with Dugan and Morita. But why it is that some folks feel that any mention of racism equates to it having to be a full accounting or an exhaustive exploration of racism? Like the very mention of it is too much for some folks to handle. I heard this reasoning with X-Men: First Class, and now I'm seeing shades of that with Captain America.

Whether with Captain America or other films, I'm not a fan of sweeping history under the rug, and when it comes to the history of non-whites in this country, I think there is a tendency on the part of some folks to minimize it, ignore it, or remain blissfully ignorant of it all together, and then get mad or indignant if you bring it up. I'm not referring to anyone in this thread from what I've seen per se...yet, but that it is more of a general statement.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

For me its a topic that deserves more than a quick nod. It would be a disservice to the topic ( and those that suffered) to treat it in that manner. The Captain America character has faced this topic in comics over the years, but it was given the room is deserves and not just a quick scene or line.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but I really don't think CA was really trying to be any kind of an accurate representation of the times, and if you expected it to be then you were very mistaken. All this wanted to be was a fun, comic book movie and that is all it was. I actually didn't even notice any of the stuff you guys are talking about, but then again when I go to a movie like CA I don't analyze every single frame as it appears, I pretty much just turn my brain off and enjoy the movie for what it is.

5. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess we can skip over to Cowboys and Aliens. But we have invested 265 post and we are a week past opening day. Analyzing ever single frame of TV and movies is what we do. :vulcan:

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

did anyone else think Schmitt's line about "digging in the desert" was a joke about Raiders?

and who else loved Steve's pulling down the flagpole and casually handing the flag to the drill sergeant before climbing in the jeep whilst everyone else stared at him?

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was good. I saw that scene as a one-up on the similar scene in Disney's Mulan.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It obviously was, given that Johnston was the art director on that film.

Personally, I loved the old school 'A Matter Of Life And Death' shout out with Peggy talking to Cap over the radio

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is a good reason. In fact, I'd say it's the best.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The estimates for Cap's second weekend have him in 3rd place with about $24.9m. That is a 61% drop if estimates hold and a bit worse than you'd like to see.

Still, the US domestic total is now $116.7m in 10 days, more than Green Lantern after 7 weeks. The worldwide is up to $170.2m and will hit more international markets this week.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved both of those.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally thought that was a Raiders reference.

The flag pole scene was great, both crowds I saw it with liked it.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Damn, I'd forgotten that both Cowboys & Aliens and The Smurfs released this weekend. If it had just been one or the other, Cap would have fared better, I think.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I went into this with little anticipation and I thought it was pretty good. I did prefer Thor and X-Men First Class, but I thought it was a solid movie. The makeup on the Red Skull was flawless and the FX on Skinny Steve looked totally real.

15. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Did anyone else notice the Iron Man 2 viral video playing in a screen behind Cap in the final scene?

This one:

http://www.starkexpo2010.com/accutech/

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this - not as much as Green Lantern, but certainly it's a great deal better than Thor.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it, it just felt like it was a bit rushed to get him in place for The Avengers. Sort of like it was a highlights of Cap's life so that people don't get confused when they watch Avengers. I hope they do another film in WW2 era so we can have more of Bucky and the others.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It was also nice they avoided the "All Germans were evil Nazis" cliche thing: That bit where Erskine points out that the Germans were the first ones conquered by the Nazis served as a small reminder that plenty of Germans suffered from the Nazis as well.

19. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the film, now I can finally relax since I was hoping that after the Green Lantern debacle that it wouldn't suck. My one concern about the storyline is that I really want time devoted to Steve Rogers adapting to life in the 21st century and I doubt that the Avengers film will spend any significant amount of time doing that.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i saw it, but couldn't make out what it was advertising.