Poll: Future of DS9 (unofficial fellow reader/writer opinions)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 30, 2011.

?

Where would you like to see the DS9 Relaunch go from here

1. Return to the post The Soul Key timefram,

21.7%
  2. Continue forward with the Avatar-The Soul Key cast back, filling in the gaps as we go

18.8%
  3. Continue the storyline with a mostly new cast, and occaisional guest appearances by the A-TSK cast a

13.0%
  4. Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue forward with A-TSK cast back

18.8%
  5. Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue with new cast and occaisional appeareances by

18.8%
  6. no opinion

8.7%
  1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the only way what would work in the modern Treklitverse. Besides which, people like a redemption story.

I was actually referring to the events on Trill and the devastation that millenia of secret-keeping wrought on her home society. This is a woman who helped expose one of the deepest, darkest secrets of her own people; the idea that she'd support a cancer at the heart of the Federation flies in the face of that. The Breen mission, while covert and secret, was done under the auspices and regulation of Starfleet and the President and was limited to a specific action.

Eh, Bashir's corruption seems fairly natural. Maybe cause he kept his own secret so well, maybe because he hung around Garak so much. And of course throwing the opportunity for romance and adventure at him is just perfect.

:bolian:

2. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

"Redemption story" is right--which is why a "clean slate" concept wouldn't be satisfying in that regard. Show them as the "good" guys for once--show us their saving the Federation, being the only ones who could deal with a To Be Determined major threat.

I see. However, the reasons for that secret and the reasons for this secret are somewhat different.

However--as I have said, Ezri doesn't necessarily have to be supporting 31. Perhaps this would lead to great conflict between her and Julian--again, especially with Sarina in the equation. As far as she'd be concerned, 31 basically took away her chance to make things right with Julian.

Well, Ezri has 8 lifetimes of memories--and therefore secrets. Recall the ending of the episode "Dax"....

3. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's about as likely as a story featuring the Tal Shiar as the good guys saving the Federation. That has many of the same critical implausibilities are your suggestion.

A Shattered Mirrors story set in the universe where the Founders recognized the Federation attempt at genocide and ended the Dominion War with a wave of planetbuster attacks would be interesting, mind ...

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah...no. The Tal Shiar has as its stated agenda the protection of the Romulan Empire. Section 31 has as its stated agenda the protection of the Federation.

Tal Shiar saving the Federation is more akin to Section 31 saving...the Romulan Empire.

Ah-hem. Kinda begs the question of why they didn't do that anyway, if they were capable of it. Strategic "planetbuster" attacks a la Hiroshima/Nagasaki or General Sherman would be an excellent method for victory--again, IF they were capable of it.

They weren't, of course. Resources are resources.

5. JonoKyle

JonoKyle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

With the poll - I would go with a 'Full Circle'-type novel/trilogy to fill in the gap and then continue from there. However I would like to see the Aventine crew included with future stories - with the Gamma Quadrant available they could even be assigned to there as Ezri would be one of the most Gamma-experienced command officers in Starfleet due to Dax's experiences on DS9, which also brings in opportunities to bring back Odo & Taran'atar. Then have a combination of DS9 stories - some dealing with Aventine/Gamma Quadrant & some with DS9/Bajor-Cardassia and some combined.

As for the DS9 crew - I like the idea of Sam Lavelle :techman:, however instead of First Officer I would put him into the former 'Ezri/Worf' position - First Officer/Chief of Security/Tactical Officer of the Defiant & Second Officer of DS9 only because I think a Commanding Officer/First Officer situation between Ro & Sam could possibly hinder the continuation of their TNG DW relationship.

As for some of the other crew-gaps:
    * Ayala as Chief of Security - from Voyager, with former-Maquis Ro in charge it could easily introduce the opportunity to expand on his character.

* Fo Hachesa as First Officer(DS9)/Command(Defiant) - from Titan.

Ayala & Fo Hachesa, simply because I liked the characters and believe they had alot of potential and don't want to see them end up in character-limbo.

6. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ You're going to have to delete that post. Story ideas are forbidden on this forum.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is pretty much ridiculous because the authors are also reading posts containing story ideas in other TrekBBS forums.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ridiculous or not, it's what the rules say; I wasn't trying to offer an opinion, just a heads-up.

10. JarodRussell

The rule is awfully hypocritical and pointless.

11. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Edited post, though I think it's kinda crazy.

12. JarodRussell

Just repost the idea in the DS9 forum or somewhere and lead the whole thing ad absurdum.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It is kind of crazy, but it's necessary. Nuisance plagiarism lawsuits can cost writers and publishers a great deal of money, time, and work, so for our own protection we need to take a zero-tolerance policy toward reading unsolicited story ideas. It's the same reason you need an agent to submit a spec script to a TV series, or why the open submission policy practiced by TNG, DS9, and VGR required you to sign a release form before submitting anything. Pro writers participate in the Trek Lit forum, so story ideas have to be prohibited, because otherwise we'd have to avoid posting here altogether. You're free to discuss story ideas in the Fan Fiction forum, however, because the pros know to avoid that one.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised you guys are so shocked by this. You've both been here long enough, that I would think you'd have run into this by now.

15. JarodRussell

Problem is Trek Lit authors participate in the entire rest of the forums where you are allowed to post story ideas. Just look at the Trek XI forum and all those countless of alternatives and sequel ideas.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I guess that stuff would be up to those mods. I think the reason it's the case here, is because this one is much more focused on the books and authors, so there are alot more people wanting to share their ideas. And I have a feeling if as many people involved with the movies and shows posted in the other forums, then it would probably be the case there too.

17. Odo

Odo Commander Red Shirt

I definitely lean towards a 'Full Circle' type book for continuing the DS9 relaunch - though of course quality is more important than format, so if something else is done depicting the missing five years and is great I'd be happy. God, I miss Marco. You never truly appreciate someone until they're gone.

I feel bad for my girlfriend who's going through the DS9 relaunch right now and loves it - she just started Fearful Symetery so I'll have to break the news to her that the relaunch is on the backburner soon.

Though I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspision that my fav Trek author, DRGIII, has some secret future DS9 project that will answer the relaunch's problems and is working on it now even as we speak...