Why did Doohan hate Shatner?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by misskim86, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I've been reading a lot of books lately, star trek memories and such and it seems like Shatner was really disliked, but Nichelle and George seemed to atleast like dislike him enough to like him on some professional level, like when they roasted Shatner. Doohan on the other hand refused to have anything to even do with him, turning down money deals just so he wouldn't have to work with Shatner on Futurama and such.

Now I know why Shatner was generally disliked, like taking lines and such but does anyone know anything personal he did to Jimmy Doohan to earn his hate?

2. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

The shatner haters will invade your post but I will give you the real reasons why Doohan hated Shatner..

1. He was jealous of Shatner. As you stated, Shatner took Doohan's lines. Well, TOO BAD, Jimmy. Shatner was the star of the show. And like Jack Lord, Tom Selleck, he had the right to trade lines...

2. Shatner often took credit for getting Jimmy the job. Shatner did suggest Jimmy for the job...and..wow..he got it!

3. Shatner revealed the fact that someone from the main cast, in a drunk state of mind, sexually harrased the woman who played Rand. Hmmmm..I wonder who that was.

Nichelle Nicholes? no...
    Nimoy (Shatner's close friend...no...)
    De'Kelley (class act..)
    Koenig (wasn't there yet)
    Takie (gay)

So that leaves either Shatner, who wrote the book, or Doohan.!! Now, in defence of Doohan, he is never named at the person who did it, nor am I..but you get the picture.

I have been to dozens of Trek conventions, starting in the late 70s. I have heard the lower rung actors bitch and bitch how hard it was to escape Trek's shadow. Well, Shatner did it, and so they are jealous hacks.

Okay ani-shats...time to spread more of your lies about the only Emmy winning actor who starred in Star Trek...WILLIAM SHATNER!!

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    While I think it is silly to be a "Shatner hater," I think it is equally silly to act as if the sun shines out of the man's ass.

4. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Well, there are many stories of the actors disliking him because of his ego. Even worse are the stories of Shatner pushing the writers and directors to rework scripts giving him the best lines. And then there was Shatner's put down of Star Trek fans which Doohan though was bitting the hand that fed them.

5. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

If I remember that book right, though, I think Shatner said that it was someone on the production staff that was doing the drunken harassing all the time, not the acting cast.

Been a long time since I've gone over the book, though.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look at how many decades it took Shatner to get that Emmy.

What's Nimoy's excuse, he had a more lucrative career than Shats.

Why did Shatner appologize a few years ago to all his cast mates of TOS for stepping on their toes and cutting down their parts? Being a star of a show doesn't grant you the right to be a big shot. TOS wasn't even a top rated show and he was still throwing his weight around.:lol: If that is in fact true, then it was about an inflated ego.

Frankly if you weren't on the set or good friends of either man, nobody here has the "real story".

7. misskim86

Ok some of that stuff is interesting but doesn't really explain why Doohan hated him so much more than the others did

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because only he can answer that question and unfortunately the man is dead.

Only answers you can get from fans about it, is speculation.

9. misskim86

Speculation is just fine

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Animation lines can (and usually are) recorded separately. Doohan was on record as turning down "Futurama", IIRC, because he felt it sent up ST too much, and De Kelley had already passed away so it wasn't going to be able to include everyone anyway - but he didn't realise everyone else was fine with the script. But the ailing Doohan was also cutting down on his workload in general.

Um... Some people suffer fools differently to others? Some people are more forgiving than others? Some people run out of patience faster? Actors have egos? Shatner was also a prominent no-show at many ST-related events not focused on him, such as the rest of the cast's separate Hollywood Star ceremonies.

Doohan and Shatner always sparkled on camera together and that's all that matters. Haven't you ever had to work with people you didn't get along with?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Just another example of Canadian on Canadian hate. When will it stop?!!!!

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Because Shatner had all of his fingers on each hand.

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, speculation is fine. How dare we let FACTS get in the way of speculation.
    I HAVE met and worked with Shatner. Anyone who has KNOWS why so many people hate him, but I won't bore you again. See my post elsewhere.
    On the other hand, Jimmy Doohan was one of the kindest folks I ever met who was connected to Hollywood. He did more charity work than any other cast member, to my knowledge. He was the kind of person who would give you the shirt off his back.
    Knowing this, it is easy to see why such opposites would not get along.

14. misskim86

huh? when did you bore me? I'd love to know what you experienced

15. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolute horseshit. You need to be careful with such nonsense. It WASN'T a cast member. And EVERY woman who has ever met Doohan reports him to be absolutely charming and a true gentleman.

As to the question at hand, Doohan was indeed jealous of Shatner - he's admitted that he'd rather have had the role of captain - but it didn't really start until the 70s, when waves of Trekies started worshipping the lesser 4 cast members. Basically, Doohan and some of the others started believing their own press. They started believing that they were the stars of the show, or were at least as important to it as Shatner was.
    Shatner, for his part, can be a jerk. But it's not personal. The man had a family to feed, so yeah, he had to promote himself to get ahead, and didn't care whose feelings he hurt in the process. It wasn't until the 90s that Shatner realized how people reacted to that, so he learned to temper it.
    For Doohan, on the other hand, it was personal, and he carried the grudge, sadly, to his grave.

17. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

That's lie number 1.You have no proof or evidence that doohan was jealous of shatner. Not every star of a show stole lines to suit his own purpose and coincidently, none of them are as hated by their fellow cast members like Shatner is.
    That was lie number 2.Doohan got the job because of his ability to do different voices. He was the one who said that the engineer should be a scotsman. And it was joe Di agosta the casting director that recomended the actor to rodenberry, NOT shatner.

And that was lie number 3.This is one of many innaccuracies that were in Star Trek Memories. As pointed out in Bob Justman and Herb solow's book, it was a suit for the studio that was known for forcing himself on actresses that assaulted Nichelle Nichols.I can also see where your gross misinformation is coming from. Shatner's book has been panned by so many people who were involved with the show that it shouldn't even be considered a reliable source of information.

You did just fine in the lie department.You don't need anyone else. Learn to read multiple sources besides one person's view when discussing a topic. It tends to make your argument less one sided.

18. Sarah James

Sarah James Lieutenant

With each point you listed you couldn't be further away from the truth.

1) Doohan wasn't jealous of Shatner. On the set and at the parties he would avoid the man because he thought Bill was racist, sexist and intolerant.

2) Bill never suggested Jimmy for the part. Bill only suggested that Star Trek could do without an engineer (Doohan) which Jimmy never forgave him.

3) Doohan and Grace Lee Whitney were always best of friends (at one time more than that) right until his death. He was never known to force issues with women. Jimmy worshipped women. All women. But one of the NBC executives working for Star Trek was renowned for being a pest and forcing himself on femal staff. And this person who shall not be named raped Grace, harrassed Nichelle and attacked Takei on several occasions. The person to stand up to him was not Bill Shatner. It was Doohan who got severely reprimanded by a bunch of hypocrites, for being a caring, courageous friend at all times.

That, my friend, is the truth as I know it, right out of the mouth of somebody who is not here to defend himself. So I have to do it for him.

19. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I love Shredded Wheat

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer to think that Jimmy and the Shat did reconcile their differences before he died. I love every one of the original actors, James Doohan being one of my very favorites. He endeared himself to me even more as he did each movie, and I loved him in Star Trek, all series. It was old home week when I watched him on the TNG episode, "Relics", and it brought tears to my eyes to see him there. I never got the chance to meet him, just like I never got to meet DeForest Kelley. But like De, I would imagine it to have been a wonderful experience.

Godspeed De, Godspeed Jimmy. May the wind be forever at your backs. :(

Your what? Shatner isn't yours. Doohan isn't hers. They're human beings, not ideological fodder for pissing contests. I suggest you get some perspective and get the chip off your shoulder.

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.