need alittle help, got supposedly signed novelisations of TMP and TWOK

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Paulcpick, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

I picked up these books at a local used book store for almost nothing($3.00 each) and then noticed that the inside of the hard cover each had signatures on em, Alan Dean Foster in TMP, and Harve Bennett in TWOK. I've always wondered if they were authentic or not. It won't break my heart if they aren't, considering I've got all of six bucks tied up in em, but it would be nice to know...

I'll try to get some pictures up in a few minutes.

Here's TWOK..
    [​IMG]

2. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Re: need alittle help, got supposedly signed novelisations of TMP and

I'm no expert, but if you look here, there do seem to be a few similarities, particularly in the way he crosses both of the t's in "Bennett" at the same time. :shrug:

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Its hard to make out...it could just be printed, or autopen.

4. Paulcpick

Its not printed, it could be auto-pen I guess, the reason its hard to make out is because I used my tablet camera for it, and the camera on my tablet sucks.
    I noticed those similarities myself, but that's not much to go on.

5. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I´m not much of an expert...but when I saw an autopen autograph while visiting a friend, I noticed that the writing felt much to flat to the touch. You could try to find out if the author actually ever signed any books.

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Paulcpick,

It looks real to me, but as FreddyE stated, inquire if the author signed the books. I have a friend that forges celebrity signatures and she's good at it. She just does it for fun if somebody asks her to do it. She's never scammed anyone, but my point is that there might be people that would.

If I purchase something with a signature, I try to get a certificate of authenticy if possible or purchase from a reliable source. I realize that you couldn't in this case. Anyway, good luck with your books.

Now if I could just find a way for authors to sign all the e-books that I've bought...

ps - Nice looking family, I grew up in Woodville (Tyler County).

7. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The H and B are completely different. I am not sure it is real.

8. Paulcpick

Thanks, that's my little brother and baby sister. Im from just down the road in Jasper. I pass thru Woodville quite often, as I used to live and work north of Houston, and now I'm going to school in Waco. It hasn't changed much between Livingston and Jasper the last 2+ decades.

As for the books, like I said, I've got a grand total of $6.00 in them, if theyre fake or auto pen or some such, it won't break my heart. If they're real, hey I paid $6.00 for them.

9. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

If you don't mind my asking, what does the signature from Alan Dean Foster from the TMP book look like? I've got a copy of Star Trek Log Seven with his signature on the inside - It has a big "author signature" sticker on the front cover so I've always assumed it to be authentic but I don't know for sure - it would be interesting to compare.

10. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Here's an example of ADF's signature from ~1985. I watched him sign this myself.

[​IMG]