Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The coconut milk mentions inspired me, made this in the slow cooker and am eating now:

[​IMG]

A very basic curry. Jap pumpkin, potato cubed, red capsicum, peas, grated ginger, thai red curry paste. Can of coconut milk after cooking. Dollop of yogurt with chillie powder on it. Brown rice.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looked delicious! The more I delve into the veggie side, the more I'm becoming like the veggie monster. It's like the cookie monster, but with lower glucose levels.

To hell with cooking. You should just come over to my house, because that looks really good. :D

3. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried this recipe today, and it turned out really good! So thanks for the recipe

I did have to do some alterations though;

• I don't know what a chayote squash is, so I just bought the regular green squash.
    • I was out of vinegar and sugar, so made it without
    • Thought I had some chili powder in the cupboard but turned out I didn't. So replaced chili powder with sambar powder and some tandoori spice powder.
    • Used two cans of dices tomatoes instead of one
    But all in all, this dish turned out really good. Think I will make it again in the future

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Glad you liked it! That's the best part about chili--you can make it so many different ways, experiment with different veggies and spices, and it is always great!

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Seems we're not the only ones with coconuts on the brain.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's coconut milk recipes.

This sounds good...

Cambodian wedding day dip

My version of a delicious, easy dish shown to me by David Bailey, founder chef of the lovely vegetarian restaurant Saf. As well as serving it up as part of a spread, you can make a meal of it by serving it hot with rice and maybe some garlicky greens. Serves eight.

500g cup or chestnut mushrooms (or a mix of both)
    1 tbsp sunflower oil
    ½ small hot chilli, such as bird's eye, finely chopped, including the seeds
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 tbsp curry powder or mild curry paste
    2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
    400ml tin coconut milk
    Soy sauce

Juice of ½ lime
    Finely chopped coriander (optional)

Finely dice the mushrooms into 3-4mm pieces. (Alternatively, chop them in a food processor, but don't blitz them too fine.) Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook briskly, stirring often, until all the liquid they release has evaporated. Add the chilli and garlic, and fry for one minute more. Add the curry powder/paste and peanut butter, stir in thoroughly, then add the coconut milk. Let it all bubble rapidly, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn, until thick and reduced – up to half an hour – then add soy sauce and lime juice to taste.

Tip into a bowl, scatter with coriander (if using) and serve warm or at room temperature. Flatbreads – or, in fact, any decent bread – and fresh veg crudités make the perfect accompaniment.

Also some nice Ottolenghi California recipes

6. teacake

Is that chestnut mushrooms or chestnuts and mushrooms? I ask because you say "or a mix of both".

Coconut is one of my favorite flavors. I'm not much for desserts but if it is a coconut item I am gone. I recently had sea coconut at an asian dessert place, this coconut is the largest seed in the world. I had never heard of sea coconut and when I saw it on the menu I looked it up on my phone.. of course I had to try it after that.

Anyway, eating these as snacks at the moment..

[​IMG]

They are SO DELICIOUS that they make me think I never want to eat anything unhealthy again.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That may well be a famous Grauniad misprunt :) Blame the subs.

Now I want lychees. But not the tinned ones. Yuck.

We have quite a few Viet/Thai places now for provisions - and also do very nice bubble teas. Do you have those there?

8. teacake

I have gotten fat on bubble teas.

Well not really.. but when I read about the caloric content of those damn things I had to stop my one a day habit. I like the brown rice one, the jasmine.. the oolong. And those sugar sodden bubbles of tapioca. They also do coconut jelly, little hard rectangles with no real sugar in them that taste wonderfully like green coconut when you chew them.

We are currently in the middle of a bubble tea frenzy with new places opening up all over. There are some places that have vats of strongly brewed tea and a minimum of flavors, you can cut back on the sweetness if it is not all pre made stuff. But it is all delicious.

Here's one I've tried many from, I don't bother with the straight fruit stuff, just the teas:

http://www.chatime.com.au/menu-product_d.php

9. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

If you want to make a recipe with beans more filling, just go with pinto-beans...

10. teacake

And you can never add too many pinto beans IMO, unlike some other beans that take over.

I do like salad with lil' white beans though as the main ingredient (which is what I call any small white bean LOL)

11. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
  12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, just wanted to come back to my question about keeping beans in the refrigerator.

I took a variety of different beans and lentils (4 different types), put them in a tall pop-top container, filled with water to the brim, sealed it, and stuck it in the back. I left it there for about 4 weeks. Today I took out the container, smelled it (no sign of fermentation), drained it, then checked the beans. Some had softened a bit, but others still felt too firm to eat. I put them in a pot of boiling water (to about 1" above the surface of the beans) and let it go on a low boil for about 12~15 minutes. The small lentils were soft at about 8~10 minutes and the rest were edible-soft at about 15 minutes. Definitely better than cooking for over an hour!

Of course, a pressure cooker would do the same thing without having to soak. I'm going to get one of those. Any recommendations on a model?

13. Amaris

So far it seems to be working. My current numbers are:

Blood Pressure: 135/85
    Blood Glucose: 167
    Weight: 214 lbs

14. teacake

Gary7 I would be worried about all the vitamins leeching out of the beans if I had them in water that long. But that might be some old health food tale I grew up on and have no basis in fact. As to pressure cookers.. they are too scary for me :lol: What if they exploded?!

I just cooked huge pot of black beans today after soaking them overnight. They were so delicious I was eating them warm right out of the pot, and just had them on tortillas.

J. Allen
    that is excellent news. I am super happy it is working so well for you, I hope you are finding it fun, tasty and not too difficult?

15. Amaris

Thanks, teacake. Nope, not difficult at all. It already feels like second nature. :D

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Woohoo! Congratulations! You are going to get those numbers down!

17. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Nice one, J - well done :)

Oh and thanks teacake for the yogurt and all bran suggestion - I've finally got round to buying myself some plain yogurt and I've been mixing in bran buds. It makes for a great breakfast! :techman:

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I did read up on this, that the outer shell/membrane of the bean keeps a lot of the nutrients inside. I probably won't be in the habit of letting them go that long again, especially with the lentils. It was the larger white navy beans that were really stubborn.

Pressure cookers are very safe, depending upon the model you get. The good ones have a definite lock mechanism that won't let it turn on unless it's firmly in place. :)

Good going on those numbers, J.Allen. :techman:

19. teacake

[​IMG]

Black bean stew made in the slow cooker with pumpkin, potato, green pepper, onions, corn, celery, tomoatoes, chillies.. (this is leftovers so has lost the bright colours, the black beans tend to take over after a day).

Eaten with grated cheese and fresh chillie on top.

[​IMG]

20. teacake

Later on today.. I'm going in.

[​IMG]