La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have I overlooked it, or is the 3rd Season Bumper music missing?

Bumper Fan Out (by Wilbur Hatch)

It follows William Shatner's v/o at mid-episode in the 3rd season: "William Shatner speaking: Tonight's Star Trek continues in a moment."

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good interview with Jeff. You know what? I just bet there's a ton of research material that he couldn't fit into those liner notes. How about a companion book?

I knew Ray Ellis did the episode scores for the '60s Spider-Man, but someone else was credited with the theme song. Is it true that Ellis did the arrangements for the song?

You guys saved some of the best or most iconic excerpts for last. We finally hear "Monster Illusion" -- although I'm puzzled, because I remember it having a high three-note ostinato, a sort of "ping-ping-ping, ping-ping-ping" that isn't there in this cue. Maybe that's something that was added in the library version? We also get "Space Cube," the quintessential first-season action cue, and the never-before-released "Condition Alert," plus the long-awaited "Apollo's Storm," which unfortunately didn't sound too great on my old, deteriorating computer speakers. Mullendore's library cue is one I certainly remember, though I can't recall what episodes it was used in.

But "Death of Miramanee" was the best. You were right, Indysolo, about how that cello sting would affect me.

3. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The samples are just excerpts... I'm sure it'll be full on the actual album.

4. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Oh, I'm ecstatic over the "Monster Illusion" excerpt. I didn't expect that at all, as it is the single most important piece of Trek score I've been anticipating! Too bad the other seasons are looking so bloody fantastic and I still want the whole bloody set! ;)

5. Christopher

No, I'm not talking about a separate portion of the cue; I'm talking about an ostinato that played under the part that was included, under the sung melody. It didn't seem to be there in this version of the cue, so I'm guessing it was added for the library version. I think it's heard pretty prominently in "This Side of Paradise" when Spock gets zapped with the spores.

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Just got home from the screening event/release party here in Hollywood. A fabulous time was had by all. Larry Nemecek, The Okudas, Greg Jein, Robert Meyer Burnett, album producers Lukas Kendall and Neil S. Bulk, La-La Land Records founders Matt Verboys and MV Gerhard and several others were present. Jeff Bond did a fantastic job hosting and moderating the panel with Gerald Fried and David Gerrold afterward.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100750876898627.2535956.15600363&type=1&l=b1b69cfdea

Video from the beginning of the evening, when Gerald Fried performed what he affectionately dubbed "Eight Songs from Three Episodes of Star Trek":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1BB7xM-NMg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've read, they didn't have the rights to the music for the bumpers.

What I find amusing is that for years, it had been said by a variety of sources, from fans all the way to Bob Justman, that Alexander Courage never returned to Star Trek because of Gene's credit and pay grabbing lyrics. Yet Courage not only came back for library cues in the second season, he did full scores in the third. And evidence of his return is not only in the episodes, but obviously in the files. Just shows you that no authority on any subject can be trusted 100%.

I for one and glad these guys were wrong, Sandy Courage contributed some great stuff.

8. Christopher

Who was the pianist who accompanied Fried on the "Eight Themes" performance?

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it unfortunately cast doubt on Solow and Justman's whole book (which is a very good book, btw) when Solow claimed that he axed the soprano in the opening credits after the first season because of royalty concerns. When obviously the voice was ADDED after the first season and continued into the third! (She's on The Cage, isn't she?)

10. Christopher

Well, it's a given that any historical text is going to be subject to error and bias, or that any individual's recollection of events from decades earlier is going to be imperfect. (I think I saw Leonard Nimoy make a similar mistake of the order of events in an interview about his Mission: Impossible years -- he thought he worked with Lesley Ann Warren in the first of his two seasons, when in fact it was the second.) That's why one should never take any single source as authoritative in itself, but try to get a consensus, or at least a parallax, from multiple sources.

11. doubleohfive

Did anyone else from here make it to the event? What did you guys think?

I didn't catch his name. I'm sure IndySolo will be able to provide that info the next time he checks in.

Your welcome, by the way.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved it. It was fantastic hearing Gerald Fied play the oboe.

It was also fun watching episodes of Star Trek with a large, enthusiastic crowd.

I also got a number of Tribbles, a T-Shirt and second introduction booklet of the set, pre-signed by Mr. Fried.

After the show, I good my "Music of Star Trek" book signed as well, and got to meet him. Real nice guy.

As for the set itself: There's a LOT here, and I can attest to just how much better The Cage sounds compared to the GNP release.

It'll take quite some time to go through it all. :)

13. doubleohfive

^Jeff Bond is a class-act. Did you know that he built the model Enterprise on display (with the lights and everything!) and that it was from his personal collection?

Here's another photo from the event, snapped by Michael Coate:

[​IMG]

(L-R: Jon Skoryak, who designed the cover art and packaging for the set (as well as the Ron Jones set in 2010), album producer Neil S. Bulk,come Gerald Fried, La-La Land co-founder MV Gerhard, La-La Land Records co-founder Matt Verboys, moderator Jeff Bond, album producer Lukas Kendall, writer David Gerrold.)

14. Ssosmcin

In the case of using the soprano early or Alexander Courage late in the series, it was ridiculously easy to confirm. If a fan can pop in two episodes and call shenanigans, it does tend to put the overall text into doubt.

However, I still find it to be the best making of Trek book out there.

15. Ssosmcin

He looks like he's in his glory! And I love his shirt. He reminds me of my dad in this picture. Very hip in his older years. Also a musician. It must have been an amazing time.

16. OneBuckFilms

Yes, I asked Matt Verboys who made the model, as I recognized it from the behind then scenes video.

Actually, I got the Music of Star Trek book signed by Gerald Fried (Jeff Bond signed it a couple of Comic-Cons ago), and also had the pre-signed CD set booklet signed by Jeff Bond.

But yep, Jeff Bond and IndySolo are both great in person.

BTW, Charlie X sounds great on the set. :)

17. doubleohfive

Agreed on all points. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet!

18. OneBuckFilms

I think you can see how happy he was right there. Big Tribble-eating grin all the time.

19. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Doubleoh, One Buck was nice enough to take the group photo of all of us!

Neil

20. doubleohfive

You're kidding! Now I feel like a total dope! I handed my camera off to you OneBuckFilms, and didn't even think to say hello. I'm so sorry! Thank you for taking the photo of us!