Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly!!!:guffaw::guffaw:

Wesley couldn't figure out how to kiss a girl, meanwhile Jake is hooking his dad up with woman and giving him sexual advice. Jake is what I expect a kid of the modern age to be.

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I still to this day don't get what people's deal is with Wesley. In fact, I think one of the only reasons people hate on his major episodes like Justice is because they didn't kill him off. I'm glad the writers kept using him. Gotta feel bad for Wheaton, though. He really didn't deserve all of the criticism fans gave him (and continue to give him).

3. AdmiralScreed

:vulcan:

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Criticizing Wheaton is stupid. The acting was perfectly competent and he worked with what was given to him. He is also pretty friendly with fans and fandom, unless of course you are a furry.

5. AdmiralScreed

Completely agreed.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I said, I find him a stereotype
    I agree.
    I don't fault Wheton for the faults of a character he played.
    I find it disgusting that many fans take Trek so seriously that they mail the actors hate mail over the characters they play.

7. AdmiralScreed

Understandable. I should have been clearer, but I was actually referring to the more rabid fans that seem to take extreme pleasure in bashing his character. He may have had his flaws, but there's not enough bad there for someone to constantly wish death upon the character (and in some even more extreme cases the actor).

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Most people write letters to movie stars. This Simpson guy writes to movies. "Dear Die Hard: You rock. Especially when that guy was on the roof. PS. Do you know Mad Max?""

9. teacake

What's wrong with writing love letters to movies, or tv shows?

NOTHING. IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I could be wrong but I think I read years ago that it was an idea that Denise Crosby came up with and presented to the producers/writers.

11. teacake

When I first saw all the Sela stuff I was completely confused and not in a good way.

12. Guy Gardener

I remember an interview where she's laughing and talking the whole way through about what a sleigh ride her time on TNG was about (without sarcasm) "ALL the fun things things they did to her" including casting her as her own daughter.

So, did they do it to her, or did she do it to herself?

13. AdmiralScreed

I would guess that she did it to herself. After TNG took off she probably wanted to get back in the spotlight, so I'm guessing she asked to return to the show.

...just did some digging, and found this on the Wikipedia article for Yesterday's Enterprise...

"Stillwell also met Denise Crosby, who had played Tasha Yar in the show's first season, at a 1989 fan convention in San Jose. Over dinner, Crosby admitted she missed being part of the show and suggested that Stillwell could write a script to bring her character back, who had been killed off in the episode "Skin of Evil"."

There ya go...

14. Guy Gardener

15. AdmiralScreed

Nothing Human: Another home run for Voyager! The moral/ethical dilemma of this episode was fascinating, and I completely agree with the way Janeway handled it. I loved the guest star Crell Moset. He brought a much needed darker element to Voyager. I really wish that he had become a regular on the show. So much wasted potential...why did the Doctor have to be an idiot and delete him at the end?
    Despite my quarrel with the ending, I still think that this is an excellent episode.
    9/10

16. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the moral dilemma was rather trite and artificial myself.

We all know the Naz...excuse me, I mean the Cardassians...did horrible things to the Je...Ga...Pol...Bajorans, but how does it honor the sacrifice of those who were killed to simply discard any medical advances that may have been discovered, advances which could save who knows how many people? Just because a discovery was made through unethical means doesn't mean that putting that discovery into practice is unethical. The problem is the means, not the ends.

Frankly, if anyone can learn anything from however I might end up dying, I would consider it an -honor- if it was used to save other peoples' lives, and a dreadful, dreadful waste if whatever had been learned was lost.

17. teacake

Facts are neutral. How you got those facts could be evil which makes your actions evil, not the facts. Dumb, dumb, dumb dilemma.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I hate to break it to ya, and I know this is your review thread, but Nothing Human is universally reviled as one of the bottom five episodes of Voyager.

19. Guy Gardener

But the Cardassians weren't caught, or they were creatively ignored at the very least. If the Nazis had managed to keep the origins of their medical science a secret, no one would mind using it...

When Voyager returned him do you think that they pushed their conclusion that Gul Mossets findings had to scrubbed for EVERY Federation data base no matter who was in the process of being treated with his findings?

Starfleet would tell Janeway to re-include the data with her ships database, and if handshaking between ships and starbases work like I think they do, Janeway wouldn't have any choice in the matter because every star ship she met would be trying to force that information back onto her.

She could be court-martial if she persists in trying to remain ignorant to something her superiors demand she is cognisant of...

Imagine an Amish lad Joins the US Army because he''s patriotic, but refuses to use any weapons or tools created after 1820?

In a fish bowl Janeway can make these decision which will just simply not stand when she returns to the Federation.

20. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Nothing Human" is an illogically written piece of horsesh*t in my opinion. Nothing about it makes sense to me whatsoever

-The doctor made a hologram of self-aware, sentient hologram at the touch of a button when Harry basically admitted it couldn't be done in "Message in a Bottle" when they failed miserably to even make a basic EMH. Why doesn't the Doctor just expand his program like we know he can?
    -B'Ellana and the Maquis were acting like complete and utter morons, getting worked up over a hologram
    -Why doesn't the Doctor just change the appearance of the hologram when he sees how its bothering the idiots around him?
    -Why does the hologram suddenly develop all these "eevvilll" traits based on some biographical data from the computer?
    -Why the hell does the Doctor delete the information just because it was gained through nefarious means? Shouldn't that also mean they should prevent Seven using any of her expertise that the Borg learned through assimilation? His act at the end totally goes against everything he's been saying the whole episode, and it basically destroys the episode for me beyond redemption.

It should be noted though that not everyone hates this episode. SFdebris gave it a 7/10 which is probably the most surprising score I've ever seen him give an episode.
    Personally I think it was trying too hard to shoe-in some kind of important message about medical experimentation but forgot to make it make sense.

Also I don't see how it was "wasted potential" not to have Crell Moset be a recurring character...that would have made no sense whatsoever.