Starbase 53 in Pre-Production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by linuxglobe, May 15, 2013.

1. linuxglobe

linuxglobe Cadet Newbie

Hello one and all, I am looking for talented even aspiring Actors, Writers, Designers, and experienced podcasters to help me bring Starbase 53 to life! With Roberto Orci's consent, I can move forward with an audio podcast series set in the altered timeline of TOS. Imagine a Saturn Size Class M Planet, being fought over by the Klingons and Federation. If you ever heard of/listened to Star Wars Radio Drama, the format is somewhat similar. I plan to have each episode in multi-parts at 30 minutes in length. I love to have original music with TOS SFX and voice actors from VETS to Amateurs. Please contact me about joining my campaign to get this made soon! :D

Markus McLaughlin
    www.starbase53.net
    www.facebook.com/Starbase53

2. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

I'd like to be a part of this (I have some acting experience on stage and in some short films) but I have a few questions. Such as:

-What characters are available for casting?
    -How can I audition?
    -In which city/state/country is the location of the recording studio?
    -In the event that I am not within range of the recording studio, can I submit audio files of my character's dialogue (assuming I am cast as one of the characters)?

If you want a link to any of my short films on youtube to get an idea of my acting abilities, please let me know, and I'll post it here!

3. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool, and good luck.

One possible science niggle you may want to work out, which for all I know you may already have done: How is a Saturn-size Class M planet possible? To be Class M/Earthlike, i.e. a rocky world like ours, its density will obviously be much, much greater than that of a gas giant, so at the same diameter of Saturn its mass and gravity will be tremendously greater than Saturn's already humungous gravity (and non-humungous mass).

Which might make any sort of human-usable biosphere untenable, assuming a solid world that large can form in the first place. Unless of course this is some strange artificial planet created by superadvanced alien science, which would fit right into Trek. The gravity of such a thing should still make it difficult to approach or maintain a close orbit safely, though.

ETA: Your short script sample places an area near the Neutral Zone "millions of light years away." You'll probably want to change that, as the entire Milky Way Galaxy is only maybe 120,000 ly across, and the Klingons (and by extension, the Neutral Zone between them and Earth) are canonically in a relatively nearby portion of it, partially in the same quadrant.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I added your 'in the works" audio drama to my listings of audio dramas. It may at some point be moved to my listings of prospective fan projects, but for now I don't have a regular way to deal with perspective audio drama, so it's here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/247.html in alphabetical order.

5. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Please feel free to post an audition call on the Excelsior website. Please also don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or issues. We're happy to help as we can.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There are some rules about what would be considered human habitable. Above a certain gravity, the strain on the human system would be unhealthy. Comparing this to obese people on Earth isn't an apt comparison because it's not about weight but about gravity (a brain doesn't become twice as heavy due to obesity, for example). And weighing twice as much as you should isn't the same as the increased acceleration of higher gravity, which means impacts are more severe, etc.

Below .68G's planets will have a tendency to outgas their atmopsheres, thus rendering them uninhabitable.

Here's some basics, from another thread.

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if the Enterprise in the alt-TOS timeline is friggin' huge, then the planets must be capable of this as well, yes? ;)

Mark

8. Maurice

^^^Well, there is a certain point at which you teeter from soft SF into sheer fantasy. :)

Frankly, there's no compelling dramatic reason for a super-huge planet. Planetary distances mean nothing to a society with FTL drives and transporters.

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of the JJverse, but it's nice to see more variety.

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's just it, and it can still work. If you want a super-huge planet, make it part of the story - it's a mystery, and one that can be running in the background. Someone can make a Dyson sphere, after all; even if the physics doesn't support it, it's SCI-FI. Make the scientific investigation of the super-huge planet part of the reason the starbase is there.

Mark

11. Maurice

^^^But why is that important? What does it add to the storytelling to have such a huge planet?

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well if they want an inexplicably large planet, they may as well use it as a mystery to solve. thats what it adds.

13. Maurice

In other words: a Macguffin.

14. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

...a hamster-style in porgress