Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by milojthatch, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It's even more amazing when you realize this was being done at the same time TOS was being produced -- and even a decade later theatrical SF films were being released with crappier FX.
    You do know that TOS was remastered with all the original FX intact, right? I'm not quite seeing how simply retransferring the original film master is rewriting anything.

2. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Here is a full length (rarely seen) new TAS episode called "Return to Triskelion" using the TAS style with proper TOS music (mostly) and a CG Enterprise and
    new voice actors doing the original TOS actors (as someone had mentioned)
    https://vimeo.com/4438987

:)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

For me, I love TAS, but I'm coming to it from not just a Star Trek fan perspective, but as an amateur animation historian. From an animation perspective, the Filmation years were really interesting and I would go so far as to say important to animation. Filmation and Hanna-Barbera, while both used limited forms of animation, basically invented Saturday Morning cartoons and really made tv animation acceptable to the masses. Far better animated properties from the 80's, 90's and today would not have existed with Filmation and H-B.

Now from the Star Trek perspective, until the DVD's came out, I had never seen an episode. It was 2009, I was really missing Star Trek on tv and that dumb JJ-Trek film was fresh on my mind. I was really missing the Star Trek I became a fan of and feeling really down that outside of JJ-Trek, it was all done. Then on a random shopping trip, I ran into TAS for $15 (sale price mind you) and decided to give it a go. It was like finding lost Star Trek I didn't really know existed! It actually got me excited about Star Trek again.

I really see the two seasons as the last two years of Kirk's five-year mission, and unlike fan films (no offense to the hard working fans that make them), it was actually made by a lot of the same people that made TOS! For me, the main things I'd love to see changed however on a possible Blu-ray would be fixes to various glitches in the show (i.e. the voice of one character coming out of another character's mouth, etc.) and the much need color correction. Poor Hal Sutherland as I understand it was color blind, but it would be nice to see Klingons, Kzinti and Tribbles in the colors they were meant to be seen in.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is an old--and false argument. Take the original Star Wars trilogy: Lucas deliberately removed the original version from home video to replace them with the 1997-forward Special Edition changes. In a marketplace, one cannot expect interest consumers to dig back into fading or dead technology (ex. VHS, Beta, laserdisc, etc.) to satisfy their entertainment needs--or concern for history. In fact, that is exactly what is being asked of innumerable fans who want the theatrical version preserved as best as possible...and wasting money on old technology is not doing that.

In 2006, Lucas/Fox released a DVD of the unaltered films (presumably to shut fans up), but the near-unanimous view was that it was not the same transfer as that for the SE, but was something reminiscent of the muddy laserdics.

The original films in a best preserved format do not exist, because Lucas--in his quest to keep the films up to the cartoony standards of today's fantasy movies--only pushes the ever-altered Special Editions.

Oh? The point is that the original work be respected and preserved on the best format available, which has nothing to do with so-called artistic changes the film never needed to entertain generations of fans.

For one example, if you ever see the the behind the scenes of Universal's Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection Blu-Ray set, technicians recall how they worked to maintain the original artistic integrity of the various filmmakers' work, but cleaned up scratches, etc...but it was not replacing or adding entire scenes (for whatever reason).

The films are as close to 100% to what has been in circulation since Universal first packaged its horror films to TV in the 1950s...but generations still accept the work, while I ague anyone else saying that cannot watch it (for Lucas-ian reasons) were not too interested to experience the work in any case.

Video-game level shots of the 1701 are a distraction, while the terrible modern transitions from CG back to the 35mm film are also glaring.

I'll give CBS this much: offering the Blu-Rays with both versions acknowledges that TOS-R was not the accepted "final word" representation of the series.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Did you miss the part where BillJ said that Lucas did this "the wrong way?" I don't think anyone here in this thread is endorsing what Lucas has done to the original Star Wars trilogy.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yep. The remaster of TOS is simply the original film masters. Nothing has been added. People don't seem to get that. The episodes with crappy CGI FX are essentially bonus features on the BD discs.

There were more egregious changes made to the show when TOS went to DVD than there were when the series was transferred to HD. It makes objections to HD-TOS all the more puzzling, since the same people seem to be fine with the altered DVDs. Unfortunately, those changes were retained with the BD release, but that still begs the question why those objecting to the BDs have no problem with the DVDs.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You called? :)

Look, I actually happen to LIKE the Special Editions (of both SW and ST-TOS). In fact, in both cases I greatly prefer the SE's to the originals. I realize that's not a very popular thing to say, but there we are.

At the same time, I also fully support the idea that both versions should be made available. As much as I enjoy the SW special editions - oh, by the way, as if I hadn't dug a deep enough hole for myself, I also prefer the PT to the OT - even I wouldn't want my preferred versions to be the ONLY versions available.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Let me clarify. My comment ("What Lucas did with the origianl Star Wars trilogy") isn't a suggestion that I hate the special editions for existing. As with the new versions of TOS, I'm fine with them (I mean, I don't like them personally, but I have no problem with revised versions of the work being made available). What I object to is the fact that the originals (in Lucas' case) have been made unavailable.

So, with that clarification, I restate my comment.

9. milojthatch

milojthatch Lieutenant Red Shirt

At the risk of fan scorn (which I'm smart of enough to know will come), I was actually ok with the SE of the original Star Wars films. In fact a few of the changes I felt were better than the original versions. That said, there were also some of the changes I wish had not been made, so for me the project is a mixed bag.

However, I find the whole thing absurd how many people argue over and over again how "only artists should be allowed to change their work" and then slam Lucas for doing just that. My gosh people, pre-Disney, Lucas owned Star Wars! I'd say that gave him the right to do whatever the heck he wanted to do with it. Just because the SE versions exist however, does not mean you have to buy them.

My feeling is that I have no problem with the copyright holder altering the original film or tv show, so long as they make the original version available for fans who prefer that version. That is exactly what CBS TV did with TOS-R Blu-rays, they put both the Remastered versions AND the original tv versions. In my opinion, that's the way to do it!

As for the altered Star Wars, each time they have been released, they sell, so clearly someone is buying them.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

One trouble with that idealistic notion is that in world driven by cost and profit it eventually means "why are we spending money to put out/store/stream two versions of the same thing?" or Lucas like "this is how it's meant to be" which frequently means the originals go bye bye. This has always been the case since the silent film days. Films get recut and repackaged and the originals become nearly impossible to find.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    A fair point. Although the original versions of TOS survive in the form of physical media, it's worth pointing out that the versions with the new effects have supplanted the originals on Netflix and most television broadcasts.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And as I mentioned earlier upthread the new visuals are also being used out of context even when referring to the original broadcasts of TOS.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Please see my Universal reference. During the early TV years, two clips were cut from the broadcast version of the 1931 Frankenstein (due to alleged offensive content), but have been restored to its theatrical format, so instead of cutting scenes, or adding new material / FX, Universal has treated some of its jewels as complete works of art...and there's no one asking for changes, either.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Animated Series is boring as all hell, but ... it's still got some charm and it's part of the STAR TREK legacy, which I want to see well-preserved. But the problem with remastering is that it's subjective. I don't always care for what's done in these types of projects. But with a cartoon, what can go wrong, I guess ...

15. Maurice

Couldn't take more than 60 seconds of that noise. :)

16. Maurice

I'm not getting your point. Are you saying that's the rule or the exception?

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

*Sigh* There's nothing wrong with remastering it because that simply means cleaning it up. Revisioning it is another matter.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I lasted about two minutes before, "No thanks."

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remastering is more than just that. What a "clean" copy of TAS would look like is subjective. Remastering also involves colour correcting, is also subjective and is often the worst of it. Sound is also a part of the remastering process and this is, without a doubt, the most subjective aspect ... and can really be annoying, depending on how they mix it.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

But it still comes done to preserving the original work.