Season 1 is underrated, and better than season 7

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by desfem79, Dec 30, 2013.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I repeat, Y I K E S !!!!!!

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think you misunderstood. I was seconding this post (reference to heresy bolded by me):

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The spirit of Roddenberry resides in him. :devil:

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I totally agree with all that, and yet... even the worst episodes of the first couple seasons possess a youthful exuberance. That energy is all but gone by season seven.

5. jimbotron

Much of that I would point towards the music. Seasons 1-2 contained melodies, punchy synthesizer music, and more dramatic scoring. McCarthy and Jones seemed to have no limits until Berman had his say. By season 5 and beyond, the music became filler, as did some episodes themselves, especially in the final season. From seasons 5-7, there was only one episode with notable music. Seasons 1-4? Plenty.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    seasons 1 and 7 are the worst of TNG

I'm not sure I'd want to have to choose between the two as far as which is worse

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'd take season 7 over season 2.

All Good Things, Lower Decks, Pegasus, Gambit, Parellels. Season 2 has Measure of a Man, Elementary Dear Data and Q Who. Both have an equal number of skip episodes.

8. Maj. Kira Nerys

Maj. Kira Nerys Ensign Red Shirt

Me too. Season 1 and 7 both, actually, but that's mostly due to the fact that I really can't stand Pulaski.
    The only episode of season 2 I really liked very much was The Measure Of A Man.
    Season 1 had a few very bad episodes (remember Angel One?), but also some very good ones (e.g. The Arsenal Of Freedom, The Big Goodbye, Where No One Has Gone Before) and I liked Tasha, so I don't think season 1 is that bad. Season 7 had some good episodes, too (e.g. All Good Things, Preemptive Strike, Attached), but most were rather weak, though no complete failures like a few season 1 episodes. I think that these three season are considerably weaker than the other four. They probably just didn't know how to properly bring the show to a conclusion.

9. Hober Mallow

I always thought "Gambit" was the most boring TNG two-parter produced. The producers realized by this time that mid-season two-parters were good ways to save money, and so episodes like "Gambit" and "Birthright" were written as two-parters, when they probably would have been better and tighter as single episodes.

I can't say I understand the love for "Pegasus" either.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll take Season 7 over Season 1 any day, and I even like Tasha. None are as good as Lower Decks, Preemptive Strike, or All Good Things. That list of Season 6 episodes are all better too.

12. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

Season 1 was not that good but there were some good episodes like Conspiracy.Also season 7 was very weak.

13. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I like "Gambit."

"unification," "birthright," and "time's arrow" are all more boring to me.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right out of the box, one thing was clear to me: STAR TREK: The Next Generation was superior to The Original Series, in almost every way. And I'm so glad that Gene Roddenberry decided to forego the "camp," this time, around! William Shatner even wore his rug to bed, from what I've been able to gather and here's Sir Patrick Stewart, who's proud bald and keeps himself in terrific shape! The Shat, of course, wore a girdle, for every STAR TREK movie, except TMP. He seemed to lose interest in his Leading Man Image, for whatever reason.

And in that First Season, not only was Jean Luc Picard played by a superior performer, but he was allowed to express himself in a way that, perhaps, made him seem more Human, than in later seasons. It seemed like Picard started taking on Vulcan traits of aloofness and standoffishness and Riker was made to be the more excitable commanding officer. But when the show first started out, to see Picard's fascination with the Holodeck, for example, it was great! He was passionate about being an explorer, that much has always been certain, but it really shone through, in Season One - which I proudly own, by the way! It laid a solid foundation for the Jean Luc Picard character and that is not something that is often mentioned.

15. jimbotron

I didn't like early Picard at all. Though I would have loved to see Season 1 Picard stuck in the turbolift with three kids in Disaster. :lol:

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I love Gambit, but I'm partial to stories where there are a lot of different parties with their own agendas lying and betraying each other.

17. Hober Mallow

So you're a fan of JJ Abrams' LOST? :)

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 1 is quite possibly the worst season of a TV series that I have ever watched. There isn't a single episode from that season that I consider watchable. Even Torchwood Series 1 had "Out of Time".

With Season 7 the show was running out of gas, but it still had a few good episodes here and there. And, even with the absolute worst episode of the season (we all know which one I mean), the actors had a very good grasp of their characters.

19. jimbotron

Not even TOS Season 3? I'd watch Angel One and Code of Honor 10 times before I'd watch half of those episodes again.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS Season 3 was very poor, but there's a few good episodes and even some of the bad episodes have a campy quality to them that I find entertaining. TNG Season 1 doesn't have a single episode out of the 26 episodes that I enjoyed or would want to rewatch. "The Big Goodbye" and "Heart of Glory" are my favourite episodes in the season, but that's not saying much. It's amazing how much the show improved during its run.