U.S.S. Vengeance from Into Darkness - POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by reanimatedfish, Apr 24, 2013.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: U.S.S. Vengeance from Into Darkness

You may be thinking of this, which was indeed an April Fool's gag by Vektor, but perhaps not so similar in appearance as all that.

2. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm. Not the one I was thinking of afterall. I remember one that was done of the refit and made it substantially more "battleship-like" similar to this... evidently not Vektor's work though.

3. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect this ship will look better in the actual movie. At least I hope it will.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sounds like Gabe Kroener's version.

5. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

I think he's talking about this one:
    [​IMG]

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

hmmm, the only part I like about that is the stepped neck.

7. Icarus68954

Icarus68954 Ensign Red Shirt

Heaven forbid I be the first person to disagree, but from the most recent extended trailer, I'm actually pretty sure it's Enterprise crashing, not Vengeance. The ship is seen burning through the atmosphere and Scotty has a couple of lines that imply this. Mind you, the deepest part of San Francisco Bay is barely over half the depth of the massive alternate Enterprise's alleged height of 625 feet - to say nothing of the even larger Vengeance - so the scene is already ludicrous no matter which ship it is.

As for the Vengeance herself, I can but paraphrase Bernd Schneider when he saw it: If someone had submitted it to the Journal of Applied Treknology over at Ex-astris-scientia, he would have rejected it as the unnecessarily über-fanboyish nightmare it is.

8. STRenegade

How about this....they are both crashing?

9. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

The angular "stealth fighter" elements everywhere but the "ring" hull, the spherical assault drones looking like nose turrets from an Apache attack chopper and bussard collectors recessed in armour make the Vengeance look like a reverse engineered 21st century version of a fed ship to me, much less anything too advanced for the 23rd century.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It is not the Enterprise crashing in the trailers we see. The shape of the nacelles and nacelle pylons are different...

[​IMG]

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And if you compare that picture to the Vengeance they match.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Re: U.S.S. Vengeance from Into Darkness

The lifeboats have to be that large for the crew of that monster.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lifeboats? Surely you mean deathboats?

Surely everything about this vessel is lethal...

Timo Saloniemi

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spoilers my a**! I've been waiting for this for nearly 4 months ever since the trailer premiered!! And I'm still going to have to wait longer for more angles!

Okay, so after reading through four pages of posts, I know I have to comment!

And here are my first thoughts: she is a monstrosity, in more than one sense of the word. Now, that is not to say that I'm trying to have a open mind. After all, I've only seen one angle.

And I think it remains to be seen what influence the Vengeance will ultimately have. After all, I doubt I would have as high a regard for Church's design if not for the designs that were influenced such as Sameulson's Perception class.

But where as the Churchprise at least has some elegance to her (albeit in a distorted, twisted kind of way), the Vengeance is most angles with the saucer section being the biggest exception being the saucer section. And then there are all these various details. Now, I love details, when they are put before the overall shape or look: not so much.

Okay, so the Steamrunner and Norway classes uses angles well enough, but the Vengeance uses a few too many angles for her own good. Maybe not to the degree of the Zephyr class, but yeah...

However, I will say this much: the lack of aesthetics was probably done on purpose. If the Vengeance was designed and built in secret, then those who contracted for her probably had only concerns for her getting completed, and being able to do the job she was constructed for. The designer they commissioned probably wasn't supposed to have been know for making stylish designs, but merely known for getting the job done, and keeping client confidentiality...

A ship this size must be comparable in size to an Imperial Star Destroyer, which isn't much more stylish (though the basic shape of the latter is somewhat pleasantly simpler. They were probably thinking "to hell with refinement and aesthetics, lets just get the d@*m thing built, and operational"!

As for the name: I think that might have something to do with the loss of Vulcan, and having a hole nearly drilled to the Earth's center. The Vengeance was probably constructed with the purpose in mind of defending against any monstrous vessels like the Narada, should any more of them rear it's ugly head. Maybe the Vengeance was also partly built in the memory of Vulcan's destruction.

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's see... if I can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all... hmm.. uh.... mm...

I think the proportions on the Vengeance are a lot more ascetically pleasing than the nuEnterprise. I'll have to see more angles to be sure of this, however. Note. I'm not talking about overall size, I'm referring to the proportion of saucer to engineering hull and to the nacelle size and length as well as overall shape of engineering hull.

16. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

When you consider that Harrison has already referred to the Vengeance as having minimal crew in clips, high capacity boats wouldn't seem likely to be hiding behind those big doors. If you're bailing out into a tactical environment that this dreadnought hasn't survived, you probably want to come out swinging in something gunned-up, armoured and running a worked propulsion system. Deathboat sounds about right to me.

I also don't think there's any doubt that it is in fact the Vengeance we see plowing into San Francisco Bay. I wonder if it will be depicted as fully submerging in what I think is only 300 or so feet of water at the deepest. That would be right in there with the 78 deck 1701A we got foisted on us in ST:V to amp up Spock's rocket boot ride.

17. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those wondering about which ship is crashing

should check out Alcatraz getting 'teabagged' :hugegrin: in this trailer at 1:59

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I went frame by frame and it's definitely the Vengeance.

19. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ugly ship. Who designs such crap.

20. STRenegade

Both ships are crashing...
    We only see the Vengeance crashing into San Fransisco...(http://glennshatowski.deviantart.com/art/2nd-ship-361044593?q=gallery:glennshatowski/24406247&qo=8)
    [^before images of the Vengeance came out]
    Unknown what happened to the Enterprise...
    The scene with the Enterprise rising out of the water is unrelated to the crashing sequence...
    I smell Section 31 or other secret Starfleet agency...
    John Harrison might not be necessarily evil judging by one of the latest clips...