Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it might have been one of the episodes he will be missing from. He is in the finale, but at least two fo the last few he won't be in.

2. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, according to Sepinwall, this was the last episode filmed because of the prep work involved and the producers made Chase agree to record the puppet scenes in the studio before they let him quit.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Weird, I just figured they took old lines and stuck them together. :lol:

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Square!

Mark

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss the old endings to the show, Troy and Abed in the Morning, etc.

Now we get lame commercials and behind the scenes footage that isn't funny at all.

6. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I could do with ot without Troy and Abed in the Morning. I like behind the scenes stuff much better.

7. M'rk son of Mogh

Behind the scenes footage is for DVD extras, I don't want them taking over what little time we have with our characters. Bad enough commercial breaks cut down the content to what it is these days.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I agree the History of Dance episode was on par with lesser episodes from other seasons, but the puppet episode was godawful.

It's especially painful for that episode to be bad, because after the Claymation episode, you have to think if they had a puppet episode in the first three seasons they would have nailed it.

I know I'm on a 'South Park reference' kick right now, but I'm going to make another one. In the mini-commentaries on the South Park DVD, the South Park creators often mention how they insist writers make jokes that are references to the story and the characters instead of the traditional sitcom-style jokes that are just one liners that have nothing to do with anything. Season four has been all bout those sitcom-style jokes, one liners that have nothing to do with anything. They toned down all the characters and made the humor more sitcom style, more based on one line quips.

And the musical parts of the puppet episode forgot to make fun of the style they were emulating.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brie Larson is adorable but... Isn't Agent Robin Vohlers still stalking Abeb, and this seems like a perfect reason to break cover.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah the puppet episode was bad. No doubt.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Basic Human Anatomy" was written by Jim Rash and it showed. This might have been the first great episode of the fourth season, even better than "Herstory of Dance." It felt like a previous season episode, moreso first and second, than third. Seeing the Dean act as Jeff was great, but seeing Annie become more and more attracted to him was great. I was a little worried about the credits scene, but I loved how they made it into a "Troy and Abed" pretending to do outtakes (with the Dean joining in), versus actual outttakes.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, this episode was easily the best of the season and restored some of my faith in the show after several weeks of awkward outings. It was weird and outlandish, but with solid character work and a good emotional ending. I wouldn't say that it was one of the best episodes ever, but it was solidly in the "good" category.

13. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Surprised they didn't do a callback to when Jeff played the Dean in the Greendale video. McHale did a great Rash impression in that one.

14. M'rk son of Mogh

Finally, a GREAT episode (probably giving it high praise since I really haven't found anything particularly good this season).

Oddly, Abed I found to be the weakest link of the bunch in this one, but I enjoyed it and laughed through most of the episode, which is what counts. I was totally impressed by Rash's acting as Jeff, very well done.

Probably too little, too late, but at least there's been 1 gem in the season.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not the continuity nazi, but where's Abed's coatcheck girlfriend??

16. JirinPanthosa

Definitely the most 'Old Community' episode of New Community.

I really hate the direction they took the Dean this season. Before he was this quirky incompetent administrator who happened to be homosexual. Now he's, well, Mr Garrison. And his obsessive lusting over Jeff is annoying. His stalker-homosexuality is the only thing about his character now.

17. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, that was it. And it sucked.

I can't recall a single other episode of Community that wasn't real, i.e. didn't happen in a dream sequence (and that includes the Claymation and Puppet episodes). I feel cheated that that's the direction they took for the finale.

18. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

That was pretty 'out there' but I still liked it...

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's definitely not how I would have handled a possible-finale. I don't think the evil timeline shouldn't be confirmed as being real or not, so when the evil characters showed up it was too out there for my tastes. Then it was revealed to be a dream, for which I was both thankful and disappointed by, because dream episodes are lame. If this was the end then it would have been a poor way to go.

But it looks like it's not going to be the end, insiders are saying that the show is about to be picked up for a a fifth season of 13 episodes.

20. JirinPanthosa

My series finale will always be the season 3 finale.

Season 4 of Community is like Season 9 of Stargate. How Moebius is the real ending, and then extra stuff happened after.

You know how in Goedel Escher Bach, they proposed that a novel have a real ending at a random point in the book, then the rest of the book be filled with a bunch of random events?

That's season 4 of Community.

And what the hell happened to John Oliver?