J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay hired to write Trek 3 with Orci

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter reports that J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay have been hired to write the next Trek film along with Robert Orci. You can read the story here.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

So 2 dudes with no prior writing credits (imdb lists ST3 as their first) are co-writing the movie. And someone who has only directed one low budget movie may direct the movie. Not what I expected, lets hope they are all very talented.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

No Kurtzman, no Lindelof? Maybe this one is going to be okay then.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

These guys really have zero experience and they're co-writing a $170million blockbuster? This does not inspire confidence.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Orci is still there though : (

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They are buddies with Orci who has the experience. You don't need to have already written scripts (or better: sold scripts) to write a big budget film script. What counts is the ideas and drafts they discussed with Orci & Co. People talk to each other.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, because all the great writers we know these days were never unknown. They were born with the stats greatbigasswriter tattoed on their heads. :rolleyes:

FFS, not a word on paper yet, and some people are already asuming it's gonna suck because of two writers we've never heard about. Has it occured to anyone that perhaps this is the result of two months of heavy back and forth pitching of ideas, to which Abrams and co said 'holy shit, you guys have some amazing talent that we need to exploit?'.

Just because we haven't heard of them before, doesn't mean they're bad..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

People have to have something to bitch about for the next three years. They don't have experience people bitch, they have experience people bitch about what they've already been involved with.

I'm all for giving new people a chance. Just wish TPTB would've picked me. :sigh:

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess that's it exactly. Sometimes I feel that for people that loves a show that was all about open minded, fans seem to have a very narrow view.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

There always has to be a first time for everything. In entertainment, we have countless examples of first/early works becoming remembered as an artists best. Classic debut albums, early directorial efforts, early scripts etc.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

It's completely possible these unknown guys will do a great job, we just have to wait and see.
    I'd be more psyched and interested if the new announced writers had done something great that I really liked. With unknowns the best I can do is shrug, say ok, and wait patiently.

12. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Maybe they can get Stuart Baird back to direct.

13. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

For the record I wasn't bitching, just surprised.

This actually reminds me of the writing gang for TVH. Similarly a writing duo with no previous credits was hired to work on the script for that movie, and it turned out fine (one of my favorite trek movies). Though I suspect Nick Meyer did most of the writing, as will probably be the case here with Orci.

14. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

so. friends of Orci? propably die hard sci fi fans like himself? maybe with knowledge of star trek canon outside of WOK unlike Lindelof? sounds good to me.

15. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to Startrek.com, these two writers were involved in an adaptation of the grapic novel "Boilerplate."

http://www.startrek.com/article/next-star-trek-films-writers-revealed

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully they can meet the deadline to have this movie in theatres by 2016.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"having penned a big-screen adaptation of the graphic novel Boilerplate."

Every screenwriter has to start somewhere. Roddenberry should have refused "The Trouble With Tribbles" from that young whippersnapper, David Gerrold? Fontana should have refused "The Pirates of Orion" from that young whippersnapper, Howard Weinstein?

Wasn't it only yesterday people were chanting, "Give us someone new!" and "No more Lindeloff, no more Kurtzman!"?

18. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Sounds to me like this is really Orci's show; The two junior writers are just there to get experience and gain street cred by working on a major title. Whatever input they have's gonna be minimal, and Orci won't let them get too far into canon-breaking waters.

The director announcement is the one to watch. Barring another writer's strike, the script's just gonna be clay for the director (and cast) to mold and even reshape on set or in the editing room. If no other worthy name pops up, I wonder if Orci himself might try to take a stab at it.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Slingshot 'round the sun, did you? :devil:

And "canon" for this film is now two movies, and whatever they decide to cherrypick from the related game and comics. Not much likely to be broken in there.

20. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I want my prime universe back.

If enough of their audience say the same thing, do you think the producers, director and writers would listen to them? Or just go ahead with what they deign to give them? Sadly, I am sure of the latter. They know better what's good for the audience than the audience themselves.