The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

boo hoo hoo waaaa

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not even close.

3. Immolatus

4. Immolatus

I was just using Fido as an example of what can be done after an apocalypse. in that universe it worked, in TWD it may not and there is no hope. And lets not forget one of the greatest zombie movies of all time "Land of the dead":guffaw:

5. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Looks like I'll be breaking the Compendium open when I go home in March. Last time I read it was when the volume nine trade was about to be released.

6. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

The writing on this show is just getting dumber and dumber. I'm really starting to hate the characters and increasingly want the zombies to win. I actually feel bad for the actors having to act out this garbage.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That would be T-Dog that everyone keeps mentioning

8. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I agree with that: post-apocalypse zombie fiction is the newest wave. Not just Land of the Dead (which I liked, sadly) and Fido, but the "Forest of Hands and Teeth" trilogy for young readers, Walking Dead (of course), the "Monster Planet" trilogy, etc.

9. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

And in possession of uber magic technology that neuters the threat. And for when that fails (which it does) there's a highly organized, super-equipped task force at the ready to step in. Neither of which exist in The Walking Dead.

Is that clearer?

If the Walking Dead has magitech collars and a megacorporation with super soldiers available for immediate deployment at every population center, then sure, Fido would be a decent reference. But it doesn't. Nor will it ever. Especially the magic collar bullshit.

10. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

In your opinion. I had no problems with any of it. Thought it was a great episode.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're missing the point about references to Fido.

You have argued that TWD universe is never going to find a way to adapt. That there is no hope. You have implied, if not outright said, that a society would never be able to adept to a zombie virus.

Others have pointed out that certain measures could, over time, allow society to reestablish itself. Among the measures would be learning how to prevent reanimation by specific post-mortum actions (head trauma, etc.) and setting up organizations to contain any new outbreaks before they can spread.

In reference to this possibility, one of the examples cited by people, myself included, is the film Fido.

Fido takes place a few decades after a zombie apocalypse and, while parts of the world are still "hell on earth", in other ways society has found methods to adapt. One of the ways they've adapted is very specific funeral arrangements to avoid reanimation. Another is the development of trained experts/technicians who can be called in to neutralize the threat.

Yes, a third way in that film is the "magical collar" that turns zombies into pets. But even if you discount that part of the story, it is still about people adapting in ways that aren't outside the possibility of the TWD universe. It is those other adaptions in Fido that we are discussing.

12. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd add again that human societies adapting to a zombie apocalypse are actually very nearly the norm right now: there are fewer and fewer films/books about the actual apocalypse, and more and more about how we'd manage to survive. It's a really interesting phenomenon. I only listed a few in the post above, but there's far more than that. The tagline for Walking Dead is something about it taking the end of the world to learn how to live; that alone implies that the series is about survival and adaptation.

13. Santeria

Santeria Lieutenant Commander

No, you're completely and utterly missing my point. If Rick tells the others what the CDC guy told him, which is likely that everyone is infected, that group will lose all hope of a better tomorrow.

I'm not saying that it's completely impossible for humanity to recover. That has fuck-all to do with the series. The series is about this small group of people who's only hope is to survive and maybe one day see a better tomorrow.

Non-existent magical collars and non-existent super soldiers are going to save the day for these people. Nor is some comedy about a WWII atomic (I'm sorry, a "space radiation") fallout where they have these things and still have a shitty imprisoned existence. Fido has fuck-all to do with what I'm talking about. Ditto for their salvation through "shooting everyone who dies in the head." Those things aren't hopeful for Rick's group.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Ah the moving of the goal posts.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

We now have a piece of huge casting news for season three...

David Morrissey will be The Governor!

For those who aren't familiar with the original comics, expect some serious shit to go down in season three if the series continues to follow the roadmap. The link does give very minor spoilers as to how the character fits in, but I don't think it would be an issue for most people.

(For those who are familiar with the comics, if we're going to discuss this casting news in any detail in this particular thread, please remember to use spoiler code. We don't want to ruin the intensity for those people!)

16. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Im pretty sure society in TWD will survive.

After all, all they have to do is outlive the zombies, who, at some point, will rot and wither to the point they are no longer animate. Add to that death preperations, funeral procedures (burn all bodies) and other precautions, it simply becomes yet another disease we as humans live with daily.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

The world has been destroyed! How much more serious can you get????

(Speaking as a non-reader of the comics.)

18. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

There's some stuff that happens in the comic that I think they'll deviate from in the show. The Governor is one of my favourite characters though.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The stuff the Governor does in the comic is too hardcore even for this show. They'll tone down most of the things he does.

20. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Plus, one of the things that happens has already happened in the show.