Carlton Cuse doing Civil War drama for ABC

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite the dilema for me. I'm a Civil War fanatic, but after LOST I swore I'd never watch another Cuse project.

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

by event would that mean this is an alternate history take on the civil war and something which didn't happen in the real civil war will occur in this series? I know Harry Turtledove has done alt-hist stuff with the Civil War and a number of other alternate history authors have used it as a bridging off path for story-lines.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

If Carlton writes it then I'm watching.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm interested. I wonder what "event" means in this context. If it's a mini-series, it'll be great. If it's a series, I give it 12 weeks before it's canceled.

6. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Cuse and Wallace? Just that duo gets me intested. The Civil War setting is just the cherry on top.

It'll be too expensive and niche to be any kind of hit on network TV, but I'll likely enjoy however few episodes see the light of day.

If they do a limited series, something like Boardwalk Empire, it would probably work better.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing but it sounds like something that might work better on cable than on one of the networks.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I hate the civil war (and I'm a history buff!) but I might just have to try the pilot.

9. Temis the Vorta

That would be interesting too, but I think "event" TV is just puffery meaning "everyone will want to watch it!!!"

The Event
    was supposed to be "event" TV too, so it don't mean much. ;)

Yeah I dunno how they're going to make the financials work. For the time period to be treated authentically, it will have to be off-putting to a lot of the audience. I'd feel better if it were on HBO or AMC.
    That would be even less financially viable, since they wouldn't be able to amortize the start-up costs (and those are going to be substantial for a historical drama!) over a long run. And is Boardwalk Empire really a limited series? If the ratings hold up reasonably well, why wouldn't HBO extend it? HBO's episode guide lists the episodes as "Season One" as though they expect more.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too bad this isn't on The CW. We could've seen what angsty teenage romance set during the war of Vancouver B.C. was like. This was also back when e-mail wasn't instant and people were still using CD players instead of iPods. :)

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Boardwalk Empire is an ongoing show. It's already been renewed for a second season.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Indeed.

At the end they will all wake up from their "flash sideways"(whatever the FUCK that means!)dream and they'll be in a church in purgatory.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

LOL!!!111

So original. You said this about the alien prequel.

14. Temis the Vorta

And it will still be better than 99% of the garbage on TV which is too dreadfully vanilla and terrified of risks to even be creatively bad.

15. gh4chiefs

I thank God I'm too stupid to realize just how bad TV is.

16. Starbreaker

It's just that a lot of sci-fi fans are too picky.

17. gh4chiefs

I think "too picky" is an understatement, I really had no idea until I started posting here. Some of the "pickiness" here absolutely blows me away. (See the thread for Season 2 of Human Target for an example something that makes me go :wtf: :eek: :confused:)

I sometimes fear for the medium of TV as it seems we've become such a hypercritical society that it doesn't seem like anybody can just sit back and relax and enjoy a TV show for what it is, just simple entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

I just don't get it. :confused:

18. Starbreaker

I watch several shows now, but several here watch 2-3 tops.

19. gh4chiefs

Yeah I guess this is just a tough crowd here.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

But a lot of those types of posters would never spend time posting about a show they actually like. In order to watch every episode from start to finish, they have to hate every minute of it, tell everyone how right they are and call everyone who likes the show stupid. :lol: