Loved the movie, hated... (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by IvosevicJ, May 15, 2009.

1. IvosevicJ

IvosevicJ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...the destruction of Vulcan. How does everyone else feel about this?

It was a great story, maybe in part because of the profound sense of loss to the Federation, but I really wish they didn't kill the planet.

2. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Loved it. Nice way to shake things up.

3. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

I actually like the idea. Great dramatic impact. It's like the Xindi thing, but done right.

4. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Yeah I think it did a great job of shaking things up. Plus do we really need Vulcan around for this version of Trek? Nope...

5. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Entirely appropriate and necessary.

6. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Loved the movie, hated the nod to star wars. Trek doesn't need any influence from star wars to be great.

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the movie, but i absolutely detest that they destroyed Vulcan. Don't see either the need or benefit of it.

I can't understand why any star trek fans is good with it, maybe it's just excitement about the movie overall... To each his own i guess.

8. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Loved the movie, hated that it ended.

9. NumberOne

NumberOne Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did not expect them to destroy Vulcan. I assumed that it would be saved. This is why I don't mind because it was unnexpected and didn't pander to the don't-worry-nothing-bad-will-really-happen mentality.

Thumbs up from me. :techman:

10. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I would of preferred them not destroy it....but I ain't losin any sleep over it.....I mean we really don't need Vulcan, do we??? The survivors can just inhabit another planet and call it Vulcan....right?

11. Islander

They can actually go to a place already called Vulvan: http://www.vulcantourism.com/ :lol:

12. digger

digger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When I saw the movie for the first time, I hated that they destroyed Vulcan. That to me was a slap in the face and completely negated all Trek we have seen through the years. I actually think the destruction of Vulcan is what made me not really like the movie when I was coming out of the theater.

However, upon my second and third viewing, once I watched it without any expectations or emotions, I realized that destorying Vulcan was absolutely the right thing to do in this "reality." It is a reboot, not a remake.

It is a great movie, and I will be seeing it a couple more times in theaters.

13. Cakes488

Isn't Vulvan part of the female anatomy?? YOU MEN JUST HAVE A ONE TRACK MIND..!! LOL LOL j/k....

Frikkin Canadians...gotta love em...how cute Vulcan, Canada... It would be pretty cool to say yeah my hometown is Vulcan!

14. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

No, vulva is a part of the female anatomy. Have no idea what a vulvan is.

I loved the movie, but hated that Vulcan was destroyed.

15. Islander

That's nothing. I'm submitting a list of new races for ST 12:
    The Clitorisians
    The Felatians
    The Assholian
    :lol:

16. Cakes488

LOL I'm just playin.....but I can tell you what Vulvan is....it's a typo! :guffaw:

Oh poor pook...I know you're upset...but keep talking about it and eventually you'll feel better. If not...you can always turn to alcohol.

17. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I felt the destruction of Vulcan was appropriate, unavoidable and entirely necessary.

18. Cakes488

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Are you trying to get me fired? I just burst out laughing for no apparent reason...thank god my boss doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

19. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

See, now he's looking over your shoulder. :lol:

20. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I saw the movie, like so many other people I had a huge problem with the destruction of Vulcan. First of all, the very fact that Vulcan was actually destroyed at all was rather mindblowing, but I was also disturbed by the fact that the planet's destruction didn't seem to have all that much emotional impact and it felt too much like a writers' device to shake up the status quo.

While I understand that there's a lot going on plotwise and there's not much time for the characters to pause and take stock of the situation, I felt like we should feel something more for the loss of one of the founding worlds of the Federation.

At first my main issue was that Vulcan was destroyed, period, but now I've slowly but surely come to terms with that loss. I also respect the fact that J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman felt the need to shake the franchise up and work with a clean slate and not have to worry about doing something contradicting already-established canon or whether or not it fits within continuity.

My main problem is with how it was done. While the new movie is a fairly decent, entertaining sci-fi/action adventure film for the most part, I still feel that if you're going to wipe out an entire planet and billions of lives - particularly since it's been long established as a main character's homeworld since Trek's beginnings and has long been a fixture within this fictional universe, regardless of how little we've actually seen of it - then it should have an actual impact and make the audience feel something! As one other person pointed out on another thread, just learning about Betazed being invaded by the Dominion in the DS9 episode In The Pale Moonlight had far more impact - and never mind the fact that it occurred offscreen!

I mean, what's going on with some Hollywood filmmakers today? Has big-budget popcorn entertainment filmmaking become reduced to matters of pacing over things like characterization? A technical exercise more than one of storytelling? Or have I simply grown...old and inflexible? Would that not constitute...a joke??