If you liked "Jericho", read "DMZ"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Jan 5, 2009.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(comics)

I went on a bit of a Brian Wood kick over the holidays and pretty much read everything he's done and discovered the brilliant DMZ. The premise is that America is going through a civil war (think Jericho after the series finale) and Manhattan is this "no man's land" between the two invading armies.

The people who are stuck in Manhattan after it was locked down are basically forced to survive as if they were citizens in any other contemporary occupied country. So there are suicide bombers and civillians being killed, all around familiar Manhattan landmarks.

It's definitely the familiarity of the setting that sells the story... in the same way that a civil war/post apocalypse in the middle of middle America made Jericho so compelling to me.

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess a Jericho season 3 on Comcast or a movie is too much to hope for :(

Thanks for the link. It sounds interesting despite the comic book label.

3. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

DMZ is definitely a great comic, I'm always greatly looking forward to the next Volume. I like it despite disliking "Jericho" (the few first-season episodes that I saw, anyway), though. ;)

4. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Jericho is an amazing phenomenon. One of the worst, dumbest shows on television for the first half of the first season, and a fine show from there on.

Start from the episode they aired 2-21-07. They pretty much started over, realizing what a turdburger they'd created.