The Blacklist

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by stj, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, they're certainly not making any attempt at making Reddington more of a good guy or showing any hesitation to reveal his dark side. Killing the paramedic (especially), the doctor(?) from the torture session, and banker Skinny Pete (complete with Breaking Bad promo music), wrong though they were to be involved, was pretty hardcore.

The latter two were pretty well-involved (although Skinny Pete's family was threatened), but the paramedic was shocking, since she just pulled the tracking chip from Red's neck (although she had to know that was a kidnapping and they were up to no good). He's killed criminals before, but they've always been mass murderers and terrorists of some sort (not that that makes it okay to kill someone you have in custody, but still, they were much worse than these people). This was a major escalation, though.

Granted, it's to show the understandable depth of anger and remorse he felt over the loss of his friend/colleague and the threat posed to his daughter and his plans, but it was still kind of a risky move on the part of the showrunners that could alienate the character from many in the audience. So even though I find the murders themselves appalling, I have to give the writers, director, and producers credit for having the guts to not shy away from showing Red get really dark.

Also, typically I'd say that Johnny Cash needs a moratorium for at least a decade after how many shows and movies have used him in this one (The Blacklist, the Dawn of the Dead remake and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles using "When the Man Comes Around", Defiance using "Jackson" ((that one was at least upbeat, though)), and most recently "Hurt" was used on Person of Interest just a month ago to great effect *), but dammit if they don't just keep finding awesome sequences for him to provide the gravelly, macabre theme to, with the songs themselves accentuating and adding to the awesome.

* I'm sure I left out numerous other examples.

Anyway, it was a great comeback episode, and I look forward to the remainder of the season.

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't get why he let the banker live.
    The Banker's it seems will always get away with everything.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He gets killed years from now, when he stops being useful.

Besides, finding a competent banker is much harder than finding a trustworthy Banker.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

He wasn't directly involved. He just lent money to Skinny Pete, who financed the actual raid and kidnapping. It's a minor distinction given the things he was willing to kill others for (like the paramedic), but I guess it was enough.

Plus, as mentioned above, Red might still have use for the guy since he runs his money through that bank too, and now has something new to hold over his head.

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Not too many actors other than Spader could get away with "tying up loose ends" like that and still not be hated...

I almost felt more empathy for the Good Samaritan than Red.

Kudos to the show for not going down the cutsie-wootsy road though.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Loved "the suspense is killing me", BANG! bit.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this episode, Red tying up loose ends was great. But the case with The good Samaritan really felt like "Black List does Criminal Minds." It seemed like a case that could very easily pop up on that show, which I suppose makes sense because it was a case Lizzie caught when she was just working as a pro-filer. I did like her threatening the abusive husband at the end of the episode though.

So I'm assuming the end of the episode implied that Red would now be feeding Lizzie information but on his own terms, and not being the FBI's "pet," so to speak?

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Did anyone watch this weeks episode? I finally got around to watching it and expected someone to at least have commented on it.

I thought it was a nice solid episode. Ever since this thread keeps pointing out how stupid the FBI is I can't help but notice it when something like that happens, but I think they're getting better about it.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I watched this week's episode--a bit creepy, the way that guy killed a young woman and child, just to cover his own trail. I also noticed, again, that apparently the FBI has the WORST security in the world.

And Lizzie SOOOOO doesn't want to be a mother, at least not now. Who is she kidding? Why doesn't the husband stay home with the kid? How could they have possibly gone this long without discussing that?

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure they never told us why Lizzie wants to adopt. I'm assuming that it's because she can't have kids, but leaving out that little bit of information is a bit disappointing.

I agree with you on the fact that Lizzie might not want kids though. Maybe when they first decided upon it she was up for it, but ever since she's been caught up with Red and her new position as a field agent she's less interested in it.

11. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was also a bit baffled at how the baby will be born in 6 weeks and yet they have not sat down to discuss it at all. And after they were attacked and tortured in their own home, and Lizzie discovered they were being spied upon, you'd think they'd both realize right away that it's not exactly a safe environment for a child...

What I'm guessing (hoping) happens is that, unless they come to their senses sooner, the birth mom decides to keep the baby and Lizzie realizes how relieved she is.

I saw the ending with Meera coming, but it was still entertaining. It remains to be seen what her motives are. Next week's episode should be good.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Either they've left out some side meetings with the birth mom, or Tom has been blindsiding Lizzie with this. Because I don't recall them talking about adopting all that much since the first episode. And that was before Lizzie knew what she was getting herself into. As I implied in one of my other posts, as a profiler she probably felt confident that she could balance work with raising a child, but she never stopped to think how her priorities would change once becoming a field agent.

13. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Yup, the baby thing is bit strange after all the problems they have been having, they really want to bring a baby into the mix?

And what is the deal with Tom? Is he some kind of plant? If so, why does he steer her away from DC and to the inactive mid-west? And why does he want a baby? Is he planning on spending his entire life with her? Or has he just been framed? He's the biggest puzzle in the show.

14. Guy Gardener

Maybe Reddington chose this moment to enter Lizzie's life to stop her from procreating?

Either because he sees adoption as half assed (not my personal opinion) or he believes that his family line should end with Lizzie... If she's fine and the husband has broken sperm, maybe that's why they tried to discredit him in the beginning so that Red can have a "real" grandchild?

Not that it's been absolutely confirmed that they are father and daughter yet?

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When they were running all those DNA tests looking for database matches, wouldn't they have noticed the kids were all related to each other?

16. Guy Gardener

It was a fiction.

The technology to match traits & skills to dna is fictional.

Which means that the entire DNA map provided with each sale was fictional.

All their babies come form the same 15 kidnapped women, of course the Doctor's will lie about how difficult it was to find the magic babies with the specific DNA that is tailored to the customers needs.

The many women they had on the production line guaranteed eye colour and hair colour, and body type, but after that, it's impossible to double check with just your eye balls.

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

"You talk too much".... :lol:

Still liking the show a lot, but beyond the stale police procedural, only because of Spader's delivery...

18. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

So, no baby after all, and it looks like the marriage has been severely damaged. I'm starting to wonder if this is all Red's doing. He and his female agent are working to split them up. Then Red has Lizzie all to himself.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Red keeps telling Lizzie her husband isn't who he says he is, but won't tell her what he knows and Lizzy never bothers to ask.

The actor who plays the husband says he doesn't even know what he's supposed to be hiding, whether it's even innocent or nefarious.

20. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Odds are because the writers have no clue what he's supposed to be hiding. I'm getting flashbacks to Alias. Spader is so friggin cool, though, I don't really care. Wish they'd just drop the whole husband character (and the whole FBI task force, actually) and make it the Keen & Red say funny shit and murder bad people hour.

The adoption agency villain was fucking sick. Like one of the worst on the list yet. You know that whole "they took out the eggs, fertilized them and then put them back" throw away line at the end was bullshit, right? That sociopath was raping dozens of unconscious women for years. They should have thrown him off the roof, but life in prison holding onto some hardass lifer's turned-out pocket ought to be fun for him, too.