Do these parts in "Best of Both Worlds" make you laugh?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, May 20, 2013.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome two-parter, don't get me wrong! But these parts make me laugh my ass off every time (unintentionally):

1) When the Borg cube shoots down those three tiny little ships as it's flying by Jupiter. I don't know why, but that is just so hilarious to me. They were like red-shirt ships. I mean, Jupiter might as well not have had a defense force if that was all they could conjure up.

2) When the Borg transport onto the Enterprise bridge to kidnap Picard, and Worf jumps over the end of the wooden railing with that weird-looking jump.

:guffaw:

How about you?

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest laughs in the screening I went to were...

- The admiral calling what's-her-face "an old man's fantasy" at the beginning
    - Troi, after Riker describes his conundrum: "what do you think?"
    - The mere mention of Reg.
    - Guinan barging into the Ready Room got a chuckle, as did Riker's melodramatic "what would you do?" to the empty chair.
    - When Data says Picard may be trying to communicate a strategy, and Picard says "sleeeep", Bev exclaims "he's exhuasted!" Good thing Data's too impassive to roll his eyes at her!

unimatrix7 likes this.
  3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

- After Shelby's phaser suggestion works and the Enterprise breaks free of the Borg's tractor beam, the way Picard moves her aside got a laugh.
    - "The Borg have neither honor nor courage. That is our greatest advantage." I laughed so hard at that line.

4. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

"If we sting them in a tender spot, they might stop for a minute to scratch." Beverly Crusher

That line cracks me up every time.

5. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

"Data was available, I took him, we came."

penguin44, ThankQ, Leviathan and 3 others like this.
  6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worf's line about the Borg lacking honor and courage, and that being the Enterprise's advantage is always a laugh. That, and "old man's fantasy," Troi's useless "what do YOU think?" and "he's exhausted" got the biggest laughs at the screening.

Um....Worf. You don't seriously believe that crap, do you? Did honor and courage matter at Wolf 359?

Ultimately, subterfuge (which the Borg do not employ) was their advantage. Hardly honor and courage. :lol:

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Data: "If he were fatigued, would he not have said... Sleeeepeeeey?" :guffaw:

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Were those really ships, though? I always assumed they were some kind of weapon, a sub-light photon torpedo, if you will. Is it stated in the dialog what exactly they are? Because their design didn't really say "tiny ships" to me.

10. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Reading through these comments, it seems like you guys will find just about anything funny!

11. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The looks on everyone's faces when Shelby doesn't get that the crew is exhausted. Right after Wesley says his brain is mush.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Beverly's hair at the start of part 2 is obviously different from what it looked like at the end of part 1. Would it have killed them to keep that small thing consistent? Don't show her again on the bridge in part 2 if you can't even be bothered to get it right!:lol:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  13. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm, they could be weapons. I never thought of that. I always thought they were tiny little ships lol.

14. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How do the Borg not have courage?

What they don't have is a concept of fear... isn't that pretty much the opposite of not having courage?

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Qonundrum likes this.
  16. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Courage is to HAVE fear and OVERCOME it. If you have no concept of fear, you can't have (one for) courage.

ThankQ likes this.
  17. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

I was looking forward to seeing the "Mars Defense Perimeter".

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    What makes me laugh is the ridiculous Deus Ex Machina at the end. Oh, now the cube is going to self-destruct.

Sorry, no, that makes me cry.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would you rather them have sabotaged their quantium spacial supertechnobabble field to the point where it overloaded causing a chain reaction in space time? That's how Voyager would've done it.

20. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just regard it as a failsafe don't-let-our-enemies-get-hold-of-our-tech protocol.