Has there ever been a gaffe on the board?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I know we have some professional writers hanging around here, including show writers, and maybe a few other professional Trekveterans are lurking around as well.

In the history of TrekBBS, has any member made a major faux pas? Say for example, ridiculing a particular episode's script, or tearing down an actor's performance, or criticizing a particular special effect, or lambasting one of the many novels, and the individual being trashed then stands up to make a devastating yet elegantly phrased reply, after which the accuser is so thoroughly humiliated he never darkens the door again?

I'd guess sometimes pros might want to do something like that, but manage to restrain themselves more often than they'd like.

I am not asking anyone to reveal themselves.

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been coming around off and on for years and I've never seen a giraffe here. :wtf:

But seriously ...

Are you kidding? This is the internet. Humility does not compute.:guffaw:

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, there was a gaffe involving a Deep Space 9 actress who's a member of the BBS.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Yes but the accuser had a brassneck. And a green name.

5. Melakon

^ It probably doesn't happen enough, but I can understand celebs being concerned about their public image.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Surely being having your work critised is part and parcel of the job when you work in the Film/TV buisness. Of course a review itself can be critised and if you can make a valid reply as to why it is wrong. All well and good.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chase Masterson's forays on TBBS were somewhat embarrassing. I was only here for the second one, when her boyfriend showed up and took colourful exception to a couple of comments about her age and one partcularly inappropriate comment. Of course, none of it was said knowing she was going to drop in.

8. F. King Daniel

Oh, and far more recently author David Mack gave an FU to somebody well deserving, who posted a wall of incredibly pointless complaints about wording, with dozens of quotes from his novels.

9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Oh, yes, I remember that. Great entertainment.

10. Melakon

There always seems to be an idiot somewhere that deserves a retaliatory strike.

And I can't think of anything to criticize about Chase, certainly not her age. I'm 12 years older, so to me, she's just right.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

There are professional actors and directors who still respond to attacks on internet message boards?

I should say my opinion of Braga's post-TNG work more often. :evil:

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if some of the lesser Star Trek actors have joined TBBS just to have a little fun, without ever revealing who they actually are. I know that some production folks have joined forums about the series they're working on to get a sense of how episodes are being perceived. Certainly LOST made that very obvious.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    It wouldn't surprise me if some Trek people have interns or family scan boards for them.

And I know they're not as celeb as Chase (to some) but aren't Sternbach and Drexler board denizens?

14. Zardoza

Zardoza Ensign

Didn't Orci say that he had some negative experiences with Trek message boards?

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Are we speaking only of gaffes made by professionals, or gaffes against professionals as well?

A couple of years ago, I remarked on how the TOS Enterprise is a timeless design that follows classic proportions while the Enterprise-D is ugly and malproportioned. I suppose my tone was a bit condescending. Turned out I was replying to Andrew Probert, the guy who designed the Enterprise-D. (I wasn't paying particular attention to usernames.)

It was a bit like instructing Beethoven on how to write a symphony.

(BTW, I still think the Enterprise-D is ugly.)

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

When I first say the Galaxy Class design I wasn't keen on it, it grew on me over time but my initial opinion wasn't overly positive.

17. F. King Daniel

I once started a thread where I pointed out in a somewhat less than kind manner that the sizes of Trek's spaceships (as listed in the technical manuals) don't hold up to scrutiny. Rick Sternbach, who designed many of those ships and wrote many of those manuals, posted a story about his having designed Deep Space Nine to be a certain size, but then modelmakers were instructed by the producers to add lots more windows, which screwed up his sizing. A real pro, he did not cyber-kick my ass.:)

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Rick Sternbach, yes, and also Mike Okuda. Doug Drexler is not a member, to the best of my knowledge, but he does know we're here.

Did he?

19. Melakon

Several years ago I used to see Doug pop up on Dennis Bailey's board while ENT was in production. He gave me a nice note on a crappy fan film I did, so I was thrilled.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    My bad on Drexler here :alienblush:. But I do know he's been very generous with his time and advice to Trek fans on various boards.