Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angry Angel

Angry Angel Vice Admiral Admiral

So you got caught on a crude remark, and now everyone needs to know that it was not sexism you were trying to convey you just didn't know any other way to get your point across?

Locutus already conveyed this part for you quite eloquently, you should have left it with that, cause you're really not that funny, you should have gone for a different choice of words in this forum.

No, we don't need more examples nor do we need to over-analyze the whole thing. We get these kind of requests every year. Everybody just take the hint: less crude, more common sense, try to act your age instead of acting like your still in kindergarten.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Too late! Besides this is the TrekBBS, what else would we do?

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

If everyone was acting like they were in kindergarten, our problems would be simple. Acting like young adults inexpert in how words can hurt or be wrongly perceived is more difficult to resolve.

Maybe it we got rid of all of the infractions and just had a generic one: "typing without due care and attention" :)

4. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I think we, as posters (never mind that I'm green for the moment) need to remember that we are reading words. Communication over the internet on a message board. Words without inflection or body language. We are all writers of our posts, and should be held responsible for them. Remember that not everyone has seen the latest movie to have vulgar humour. Remember that you represent yourself with the written word. Remember to use a little more common sense when posting.

It all boils down to this. Post according to the situation and forum you are posting in. What flies (and is funny, shocking and wild and crazy) in TNZ does not fly in Misc. What flies in Misc. (topics of fun, questions, and some serious topics) doesn't always fly in the Lounges (for birthday threads and general chit chat).

It really is not that difficult. Use common sense. Represent your points with some basic writing skill. Post for the forum and occasion.

T'Bonz et al (us mods) just want a positive posting environment for all. That is all. :techman:

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Dark times. Dark times. :(

All I'm going to say about all this hoopla is:

[​IMG]

;)

6. sidious618

That sums it up pretty well, RJ.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a couple of thoughts on this-

1) The comments didn't particularly bother me, or I would have notified a mod. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't any mod intervention earlier in the thread, which makes me wonder whether the mods were being notified, and if so, what was being done? Clearly whatever it was wasn't effective in this case. My view is if you don't notify the mods, you shouldn't complain about the content. Regardless of whether you notify the mods of course, fighting fire with fire is completely unhelpful.

2) If there's going to be a zero-tolerance policy on sexism, particularly one where the goal is to alleviate discomfort, than I would humbly submit that there should also be a zero-tolerance policy on homophobic remarks and remarks which imply that some people are better than others simply because of their belief structure, and I invite others who have been made similarly uncomfortable to bring up their own ideas for zero-tolerance policies. In short - slippery slope.

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I don't think that comments about Jessica Biel being hot are sexist, that was your example, not mine. I don't even care about the Palin thread. I am thinking of the threads that are more focused towards actual posters such as picture threads. My whole point was that it isn't specific instances that make it bad, it is a general atmosphere that just doesn't feel all that welcoming after a while.

9. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm. QFT.

10. sidious618

On that I agree with you entirely. Trampledamage is right that we need to start a new picture thread with a few rules but it is sad that we have to do that. I think we should maybe focusing on that instead of the Palin thread which, while it had a few crass posts, isn't really the problem here.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. There's some cracking down here and in TNZ.
    I don't know whether this will be good or bad. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

J.

12. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

RJ, im saving that strip. Bloody brilliant

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. Bloom County has a habit of being brilliant. :D

And that strip was published well over twenty years ago. The problem of hypersensitive Political Correctness has gotten far, far worse since then.

14. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I thought he was just reposting all the known posted TNZ rules for easy reference.

Because, you know, nothing says 'Wild West' like a list of rules.

:D

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point. I don't think those were all the original rules, though, were they? I know some of them were completely new to me and I have always paid attention to the rules postings.

J.

16. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

And to use common sense when reading too. Those were only words on the web.

The thing I find "interesting" about all that is that someone actually complained to the mods :lol: I'm back in kindergarten ! This is ridiculous.

17. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Yep, they are. FrontLine, masochist that he is, went back through years of posts, and condensed them all into one. I think he did it during an unplanned bout of sobriety.

18. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That'll do it every time. :lol:

19. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they all seemed pretty familiar to me.

Plus, to be fair, that's a pretty loose set of rules. Some of them actually say what people can do, rather than what they can't.

If TNZ really was a Wild West saloon, the equivalent rules would be:

1. No pissing on the floor.

2. Do not shoot the piano player.

3. You may grab the barmaid's ass, but expect to get slapped for it.

Etc.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

To be honest this all seems like a giant load of bollocks to me. There are far worse examples of sexism on this board in general threads about the place than most of these out of context quotes. Sure they might not be as eye catchingly creepy, but there are some whiney, bitchy bastards out there who make threads feel far more uncomfortable continually posting their opinions of stars they don't like.

I've been pulled up by poster a few times for sarcasm that they mistook for seriousness, so I can easily see how out of context comments can be twisted to look bad, hell even in context, but surely in a discussion you can ask what is meant by it before thinking you're dealing with a wanker.

Personally I think the main rule we need instating is "Don't be an arsehole" and if there's any problems deal with them as they arise, not pre-emptively try and squash problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.