iMac mail blues

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Deckerd, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Does anyone know why my iMac Mail won't send mail? It will receive mail and answer mail but I can't make new messages and have to use my webmail accounts. When I first got it I had a work email account which worked perfectly. Since I got rid of it and put on two new accounts, neither will send new emails.

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Wish I could help. Mine is working fine.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Bolt: Does it give any error messages when you try to send new mail? If so, what are they? And have you checked to see if your SMTP server settings are correct?

4. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I got my new iMac last Xmas, it had the same problem, but I had Applecare on it, so a quick phone call to Apple support got the mail app playing nicely again. I since learned that Mail has had some long-term problems going back at least until Lion (10.7).

Have you upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) yet? I've had a new Mail update drop to (I have my MAS system updates/Apple apps set to auto-update so it just applied the patch - dated November 8th). It was primarily set to fix problems with Gmail, but some other fixes are in there as well.

It may fix your problem.

5. Deckerd

Thanks for all that. MLB I do get the failed SMPT message but when I look at mail doctor all of the links are working. It's baffling.

Irishman do you think it's worth paying to upgrade to Mavericks? Any other Mac users have any input to this question?

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Upgrading to Mavericks is free

7. Deckerd

I just discovered that. With my superslow broadband it looks like it's going to take days to download.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ If you have a USB thumbdrive, you can take it to an Apple Store and they'll download Mavericks for you.