Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm going to give it a shot -

'I like, to a greater or lesser degree, at least some parts of the Star Trek franchise'.

Hows that - do we have a consensus or not ?

But he did like SOMETHING !

Diversity in action...:)

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Double post. Apologies.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

My favorite space battle (and I know we're getting WAY off topic here) is in Federation, Ent-D vs. a Romulan warbird. For anyone that hasn't read it, I won't say how it ends, but I thought it was entirely awesome.

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Poncho Anderson

Poncho Anderson Ensign Newbie

Just weighing in on the novel...I thought it was a fabulous read. I rate it in the top 5 of post Destiny novels (the David Mack trilogy and Kirsten Beyer's Full Circle book re-relaunching Voyager being the only novels I've enjoyed more).

Loving Captain Ro though I can't say I'd really gotten used to having Kira in command. I'm hopeful we'll see a future novel that fills in the missing gap that occurred when DS9 was warped into the current continuity. Perhaps Christopher, Kirsten or DRGIII could be persuaded to write this book? I'd be first in line to purchase it.

I'm particularly found of Ro's new crew. Can't wait to get more interaction amongst them in future stories. My only regret was the absence of old friends (Captain Dax, Sam Bowers and Shar), as I consider them part of the DS9 mythos through and through. I take solace in knowing both Dax and Bowers will be in the upcoming Typhon Pact novel coming in a few months.

In closing, I'd recommend this novel to anyone who's a Star Trek fan. It was totally awesome!

6. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished this book yesterday. I absolutely loved this duology. DRGIII at his finest. He did a marvelous job at weaving in various elements and stories and touching upon so many different things (DS9, the Robinson, the Enterprise, the Romulans, the Dominion, etc.). Naturally, I was most excited about establishing the new status quo for DS9. There's still that annoying jump in time after "The Soul Key" that needs to be properly addressed, but I really like the way DRGIII gave us some of the backstory to fill in some of the missing time, and really developed the current-day characters. Nearly every member of DS9's main cast was given a role (even if only a small one) in these books, with the exception of Ezri. I really like the way Sisko was handled (I was surprised by the dramatic changes to the character in DRG's earlier book, Rough Beasts of Empire but he was explored quite nicely this time around). However, I'm not sure how I feel about wrapping up Sisko's arc as the emissary to the prophets. I thought that it was an important part of the character and I'm curious to see what exactly they plan to do with Sisko in the future to make him stand out.

7. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

No, one and the same. I've only read some of his British comics, and they are good, but his prose has always been rather special, and gotten much better and more experimental. But even his early work is rather lovely.

8. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

It is such a dramatic change to the character, especially as he was conceived and discussed by writers and actors (for example in the DS9 companion). But it is interesting - though hopefully he will not become just a starship captain (and family man), but that dynamic (and occasionally unhinged) Brooksian manner will still be present (a la For the Uniform or other non-Emissary when Brooks played that unhinged interpretation).

One thing I found strange - especially based upon how prevalent she was in season 7 - was that the Sarah prophet was completely absent (indeed I can't remember her at all in the Relaunch), but then that can be sidestepped by saying that she was for most of his televised life anyway, and was simply extant that year because she was preparing him for the defeat of the Pah'wraiths and his time in the Temple.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was kind of slow going, but I enjoyed Raise the Dawn. But still not as much as I did Rough Beasts of Empire.

I'm really liking the way the story is moving forward (now a whopping 8 years beyond the DS9 TV series). No reset buttons. Stuff changing.

I wasn't a fan of the Benny Russel stuff, and I was disappointed that Spock was left out entirely from this book. I do hope his low-key return to the Federation is picked up on shortly.

10. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Can I quote you on that...:lol:

11. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

:bolian: go right ahead

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got my copy of Raise the dawn this past saturday and just finished reading the first chapter Wow!I really like how this bok continues where the cliff hanger ended in the previous book.I like the newe Romulan leader Kemmora and her reaction of what happened at Ds9 and being supicious of Sela's lies.She's a great character I hope she'll be featured in more Typhon pact books.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice to finally be rid of
    "Pookie Yar's Demon Seed."
    And to finally have a satisfying end to
    "the continuing death of Elias Vaughn."

And now, instead of Sisko,
    Kira is "vacationing with the Prophets." I wonder when she'll be returning.

The few issues I had with the book were matters of whether certain characters really had enough motivation to do what they did, or whether they could really be so totally consumed by, for example, racism, and my questioning of motivations was probably the result of being hypersensitized to such things (I just read Gillebaard's Moon Hoax, which was hip-deep in them, as well as with implausible technology).

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Kira should stay with the Prophets indefinitely, for that may be best for her.

15. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Such an impressive story, I really enjoyed this one! DRG III has truly created a masterpiece with his duology.

I really like all of the rebuilding after DS9's...you know.

Nice to see
    Odo, O'Brien, Jake and Nog

I was saddened to see him go, he was a great character

I liked the ending, it was amazing.

16. Reanok

:techman:I just finished reading this book one of the best Strtrek books I've read about Ds9 in a long time,I can't wait to see what happens with the ds9 crew in the next book.I certainly thought this book was an exciting read it reminded me of a tv show or watching a movie reading this book.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This was great - it made a superb job of pulling together the various disparate threads into a coherent whole. One of my favourite of the recent Trek books - I'm even sort of over the 'big loss' at the start of this book ! I think this actually works well as a trilogy with Rough Beasts of Empire, which was (imho) the best of the initial Typhon Pact releases.

Looking forward, most of the main players are back in the DS9 frame and I'm excited about the future - hopefully written by the same author !

18. Reanok

I'm glad so many of the charcters have returned.
    I wonder what will happen to Odo being stranded in the Alpha quadrant id he'll accept Sisko's offer of serving aboard the Robinson.and if odo will find out about Lass being kidnapped by th Romulans.I wonder if Lass is still being held hostage.
    I lke how Nog and O'Brien are working together again.I'd like to see more of Bashir&O'Brien's friendship shown in the next book.

19. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished this today. So good to have certain plots picked up that have been left hanging for years. I know this wasn't solely a DS9 story, but this duology has been for me the most satisfying DS9 related reading experience since Unity.

20. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Unity's that good, eh? I haven't read it yet, but after this duology, I'm looking forward to Avatar, Abyss, Mission Gamma and Unity.