Watchmen 2?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There have been rumblings of a super secret project going on at DC for a while now and Bleeding Cool thinks that it is Watchmen 2. If this turns out to be so...how does everyone feel about this? I for one am a little excited if this turns out to be the case.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/22/the-phone-call-that-confirmed-watchmen-2/

There are other articles from Rich on the subject that are linked at the bottom of this one.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm a little torn. The original stands alone perfectly with no need of addition, but there are obviously still many stories set in that world that would be worth telling. I don't envy the guy who gets the writing assignment. If he doesn't hit it out of the park there will be internet Hell to pay. ;)

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Darwyn Cooke seems to be a fine choice.

I still wish DC would do a mini dealing with the Bronze Age like Cooke's New Frontier and Robinson's Golden Age dealt with the Silver and Golden Ages.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, thanks. And take that awful film away too while you're at it.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't know if people care as much about the Bronze Age. It pretty much flows out of the Silver Age. There wasn't a break or a major relaunch like with the Silver Age. A few big characters and concepts came from it like Kirby's Fourth World, Firestorm and Black Lightning. But they found greater success later.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no objections to DC exploiting Watchmen. In fact, I wish that DC had put some of the characters into the DCnU; if there's not going to be a Ted Kord Blue Beetle, why not a Dan Dreiberg Nite Owl?

7. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

I'd be much more interested in seeing a prequel to Watchmen, then this.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you read the article, you'd know that is exactly what the project is.

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I never read the book, but I loved the movie. I thought it was Sam good in fact. I'd go for a sequel.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Agghhh, not liking that idea at all. If Moore and Gibbons did not propose the idea and are not working on it then DC should leave it alone.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Dave Gibbsons is involved in whatever the project is. I would highly suggest reading all the articles on the subject. Darwyn Cooke is one of my favourite artists and is a fine choice to head this project.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read the article twice and didn't really get much out of it. I know it was in English, but it still didn't register.
    I was hoping a project that would focus on the Minutemen would be more acceptable. I agree with the sentiment of others that the Watchmen were done justice in the film, but it was the Minutemen I was aching to see more of.

The last time I watched it though, I was trying to figure out how well Nite Owl II and Silk Spectre II actually knew each other. From the sounds of it, they only went out and fought crime together a few times. Plus, did the 6-member Watchmen ever actually go out and fight crime as a team? I don't think so. They just met, took the photo, The Comedian lit a map on fire and meeting over. I read the comic and have seen the film several times, but I think it's taking a while for it all to sink in.

Yes, I am seventy-five years old. On a fixed income and with reading glasses.
    "I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photo of oxygen to a drowning man." - Dr. Manhattan
    "Fuck did he just say? Where are my glasses?" - me

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The only acceptable choice would be Alan Moore. No Moore, don't even bother.

14. theenglish

I did read the article, but didn't really understand what this sentence means:

"Indeed, some relish the tas, especially with Dave Gibbons on board."????

If this means that he is on board with this particular project then I stand corrected, I guess.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had problems with most of the sentences. Something about a phone call and the internet breaking in half.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assume "tas" actually means "task" and there was just a typo.

17. theenglish

Ah, I thought it was some kind of abbreviation for something. But the whole thing was so poorly written that I didn't really get half of it to be honest.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

19. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm generally against this, but man I'd love to see something like this by Darwyn Cooke. For any doubters that anyone could do this, read DC: New Frontier

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral