The Night Crew

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JonathonWally, Sep 2, 2008.

1. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

KOTOR is still IMO one of the better Star Wars stories every told.

2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

REALLY, it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to take out the temple of doom conveyor belt boss who throws boulders at you

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I just started the other day, so I'm still in the beginning of "Raiders." I've only played the first 4 levels so far.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Isn't that what life's supposed to be? :p

I really don't doubt the integrity of the stories (well, some of the stories), the creativity, and so forth, and I suppose I can see the appeal for others. I don't dismiss them as stupid (well, I don't dismiss all of them as stupid), they're just not for me. I'm too bookish I suppose -- how about I pick up the novelization when it hits the shelves. ;)

Oh, and upon talking about it, I did decide to watch Doctor Who again, and found Appointment with Death, Sparkling Cyanide, Dead Man's Folly, Cat Among the Pigeons, and I'm only 3/4 of the way through. I'm having a ball. And it must've been so much fun to write: like the thing they used to do on Whose Line is it Anyway when they could speak only in song titles and stuff.

5. JonathonWally

I haven't played any video games in over a month, beside web sudoku, I look forward to going back to some Rock Band.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Not just your opinion, it's superb. The storyline twist is right up there with "I am your father" as Star Wars twists go.

You've been the main villain, Darth Revan, all along!

7. JonathonWally

I love the montage that she narrates and shows you in the flashbacks, I should go find that on youtube, I feel like watching it again. And of course, her amazing voice. The whole cinematic quality of it. Brilliantly directed

8. Sephiroth

i never got into KOTOR, i tend to stay away from the EU

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The thing is, you'd struggle to put Half-Life 2 in to words. One of the reasons people rate it so highly is that it rarely tells you what's going on. There are no cutscenes, no hours of exposition, no opening Star Wars-style crawls. You have to figure it all out for yourself.

Plus, it features Alyx Vance. I can't think of a movie character that I've cared about more than her.

10. JonathonWally

I normally feel the same way. But since it takes place 4000 years before Star Wars, it doesn't have some writer trying to shoehorn in movie stuff and they pretty much had complete freedom to do what they wanted in the same universe.

11. Sephiroth

i tried HL2 when i rented the orange box, and truth be told, i couldn't get into it, it was vague, ubiquitous, and honestly boring

12. thestrangequark

That alone make it sound a right bit less boring! I went ahead and read the wiki article on the game. There are a lot of very cool ideas in there, I'm just not into the structure. If I were a gamer, though, this sounds like the kind of thing I'd like.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I brought this up in another forum... but was anyone here around way back when on this site when someone said chess was as violent as football?

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's 9:15AM here in cloudy England...

can i join the Night Crew?

15. Sephiroth

if i was i don't remember it, but i have seen one nerd shove a rook up another nerd's ass after he got beat

16. JonathonWally

Welcome aboard.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

For me, it's very difficult to find good science fiction stories on TV or in movies anymore - especially with two of the main ones getting cancelled recently.

Video games like the aforementioned Half-Life 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic have pushed beyond the "rescue the Princess" stories that used to dominate and are making games the number one place for telling real Science Fiction stories.

Sure, they have to make some concessions to the fact that games are supposed to be fun. It is, for instance, very difficult for Alyx to be killed in the game. Usually, video game team mates/sidekicks such as her would be very dumb, get in the player's way and get themselves killed a lot, frustrating the player until they give up on the game. Alyx is not like that, you and her are a team.

Plus there's a very funny moment when you are walking through an underground parking garage which is infested with Headcrab Zombies in almost complete darkness. She sneaks up behind you and starts making Zombie noises. :lol:

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the first Halo game is another example of a brilliantly realised SF story in a video-game, IMO...

and, to the dude on about watching Doctor Who season 1-3...

SEASON 4 IS AWESOME!

19. thestrangequark

[Edit, responding to Hermy]^Oh, no need to justify it. I understand the search for quality science fiction entertainment completely, but I personally wouldn't go to games to get it. I like being a passive observer. :)
    These two posts in succession made me giggle. :) Perhaps I'm just tired. It is 4am, after all.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Way back when? Yes.

However, I do not recall this particular reference.

I do have a coworker who is convinced that Nascar is equivilant to chess in terms of strategy.