Bob Orci: Spoke with CBS about returning Trek To TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SeerSGB, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Writers being hyper critical and dismissive of others writers talent and success? Say it ain't so! :lol:

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm inclined to agree.

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

No, what they have is righteous rage that canon wasn't being adhered to, and so that gives then the right to bitch like babies.:rolleyes:

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It really has gotten to the point where we have people who just don't like Star Trek anymore because to them, it's dead. Over. They would rather have NOTHING rather than the JJ Abrams films. It really is like praying for our own destruction because at least we would have our "purity." It's become a kind of religion where the followers know the true way and the rest of us are heretics.

Worst off is that we consider any difference as bad. We want more of the same but in a different package. It's safe, it's familiar, but it's no longer art. Orci and the rest of Bad Robot are artists. Creating a Trek that truly belongs in our hearts because they actually care about it. We have people who actually give a damn about Star Trek again, and we're fighting them? How horrible fans can we be?

Orci did the right thing, the thing that any self-respecting artist would do. He defended himself against the slander and now downright lies of the fundamentalists. I harbor no shame in saying that I support him completely. We have become uncaring of our franchise, and we should be ashamed.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is hilarious that you have to announce you are not ashamed.

Maybe we all need to change our avatars to lens flare triangles, for solidarity under persecution.

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

March on comrades. Keep the faith.

7. M'Sharak

Or maybe better not - the last time something like that happened as a joke, some people were real soreheads about it and complained that they were being trolled.

8. teacake

Oh well, I was totally joking here.

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

That only if you make the assumption that everyone who hated the movie cares about canon. How about the people who don't give a crap about canon who still didn't like the movie?

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But I've never seen you as part of the "Star Trek would never do that!!!1!1" crowd.

It's one thing for a movie or movies to not work for some people. World would be a pretty dull place if we all liked the same things. It's another thing to just bitch and moan over and over and over and over, over a movie.

11. Shaka Zulu

I calle these people that you mentioned above 'foundamentalists' after what Irshad Manji called Muslims who only believe in the founding moment of Islam, and can't get past it to make Islam part of the modern world in her book The Trouble with Islam Today. They don't want nothing, what the want is the original series back on TV, and Orci only gave them a modern version that they (many of whom I suspect are Tea Party members who used to be liberal who are now conservatives with some liberal leanings, so that they can still be Star Trek fans) can't stand, especially the expanded role given to Uhura and her love of Spock (which Roddenberry would have gotten a kick out of, I'll bet!) and the better characterization of all of the characters (making Kirk a flawed person who still has to grow was a great masterstroke.)

What they want is something like Star Trek: Phase II to be made into a full TV show that would air on CBS, The CW, or Showtime, but that won't ever happen, and they know that. That's why they hate the new movies so much, as well as the fact that Star Trek has been revived and is now doing better, and with a younger generation of people. So, lemming like, they fight the new movies and the fans of them, much like the fans of classic BSG hate the new BSG-a sad state of affairs.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    What the hell does anyone's RL politics have to do with whether or not they like nuTrek?

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

This is why we can't have nice things...
    :(
    :D

15. M'Sharak

Yeah. I think we may be wandering a bit far afield here.

16. teacake

:lol:

Repeated threads and polls and stuff like that have shown that you can't generalize about age as to who loved NuTrek and who didn't.

17. Shaka Zulu

Sorry about that, but that's how I think that these fans feel and act about the new movies.

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

It's definitely one... something you've got goin' there...

19. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What gives you the idea it is doing better? See any TV show? See your younger generation of people on the boards or conventions? the money they made, is this your reference of how Trek is doing?
    This younger generation will dump trek fast, very fast. They will forget about Spock et all as soon as they lift their behinds out of the theatre chairs.
    And NO, they not want ST Phase II, they want nerdy things, like discovering new planets, or difficult science made easy, or unthinkable things happen, like peace with Klingons, or white people kissing black people.
    What they not want is Marvell's Star Trek.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's the only reference, or rather indicator, that matters.

Citation required.

Wut?