How Thor breaks down racial barriers in Asgard

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Tell that to whoever thought the statue depicting the four 9/11 white firefighters should be made into a multicultural statue. Or when Detroit was named the most diverse city in America for being 80% black. :lol:

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yet, curiously, we have a number of channels on satellite over here that feature African-made movies exclusively.

For some bizarre reason, the cast of Nigeria's latest blockbuster isn't full of Asians and Latinos.

3. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Wha? Maybe it's because Nigeria can't find those.

Plus does Nigeria sell the movie worldwide?

4. Thespeckledkiwi

That's not true at all. Storm was included in the X-Men when relatively speaking she's a newer character in that universe. Or the fact that maybe they know they can't market those movies yet.

Look at Nick Fury. They went with the Ultimate Nick Fury. so they did know he existed.
    In your opinion.

So we should be seeing a lot of Latinos now as well? Would you have a problem with that? The term minority and majority is such a misdemeanor. How can a group that large be consider a minority?

And notice how you totally didn't even tackle the issue that these artists were writing comics back when racism was extremely prevalent and that they couldn't sell a minority character during that time?

We disrespect dead people's art all the time btw.

[/quote]

Depends on the situation but for the most part, white people haven't gone through what a minority has gone through or...wait, have they when they fought for equal rights? Fought immigration laws (then again we did have Gangs of New York). Fought being stereotyped against.

5. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

"Equal rights" work both ways. And I'm sure the minorities of today have it so tragically hard, what with their constant struggles against 'the Man.' Or are we talking historical precedence? Because, if so, I hate to break it to you but every single culture indulged in slavery and racism at one point or another.

But hey, it's apparently not racism if you're shitting on caucasians. Amirite?

:rolleyes:

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you couldn't be more wrongheaded about this issue if you made a conscious effort.

There's nothing more pitiful than the resentment of a privileged class at being made to share.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I can think of something a lot more pitiful - people who share in that so-called privilege pretending that they care to make themselves feel better. That's all anyone here arguing for miscasting roles has done.

You people don't know a damned thing about equality or what it really means. You just sit there and blather on about white people this, white people that because they're an easy target. You think that nobody will question you and if anyone does they must be selfishly protecting their "privilege".

So go ahead, pat a black person on the head, give him a job and tell yourself that makes him equal to you when in fact you're as racist as anyone.

I'm fighting being stereotyped right now in this very thread.

Clark Kent, for example, was raised by white parents on a farm in Kansas. That's part of his identity. His childhood is as big a part of what makes him the person he is as Luke Cage growing up in Harlem made him the man he is.

I await the Last Airbender review threads where all of the apologists here furiously decry the casting of Asian characters with white actors.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. Thespeckledkiwi

You do realize that one of the best Superman stories is when he was raised by...Russians! You know Slavics...as in a different culture all together.

But yes, let's use a white alien as an example.

Actually you could transplant Luke Cage to any of the rougher neighborhoods in the US and his story could largely remain intact.

They will pick the best actor/actress for the job as they see fit. They will pick the one that will bring in the most money as well (which is why they were flirting with the idea of casting Will Smith as Captain America).

This isn't an issue at all. It shouldn't be an issue. People are blowing it up, just like the Last Airbender, out of proportion without a) seeing the movie b) actually seeing how it fits.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That was a "What If" not the original character. There's also a version of Spider-Man from India.

That's not the argument others have made here. Being black is supposedly an intrinsic part of his character in a way that cannot be applied to any white character. It's that argument that I have a problem with.

By defining a black person solely by his struggle against inequality you take a very narrow view of who that person is. Cage is not just black because he struggled against inequality, he's an African-American New Yorker, a product of the very specific culture that surrounded him.

Not too far away from him, another man named Peter Parker grew up in a very different culture, raised by his elderly aunt and uncle. His character is a product of that culture too.

Money and artistic integrity do not go hand in hand.

It's blown up out of all proportion by apologists like Dennis who believe that giving someone a handout makes them equal.

10. Thespeckledkiwi

But that doesn't discount that it is still one of the best Superman books out there. There are a lot of What If? books out there and they are done very well, including that Spider-Man IIRC (it's been a while since I read that).

You also do realize that many, many white people have been filmed for roles that were a) black b) asian c) any other minority?

Also family life does not equal cultural to the degree you are placing yourself.

And yes it does. There is not much artistic integrity left in Hollywood. Passion of the Christ? Miscast Jesus, good job there! Your starting role! Lord of the Rings didn't follow the book, there goes the writer's intent. Watchman, with the big goofy octopus left out. Good job there. A lot of it is based on monetary value. The normal theater goer isn't going to know the different between a black Nick Fury and a white Nick Fury or a black Kingpin or a white Kingpin or really care for that matter.

THEY ARE NOT GETTING A HANDOUT. They auditioned. The group decided they liked person a better than person b. Who the hell cares if they are black or white?

And does it really matter since these guys are Gods? What does white have anything to do with Heimdall's character at all in the comic book? He's a freaking mystic pretty much. He could be green and I could care less because his color has nothing to do with his abilities.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"They're getting a handout" is one of the most popular racist accusations against attempts to redress racial inequality in the U.S. Other than simple resentment, it's based originally on the lame rationalization that people who have directly benefitted all of their lives from stolen wealth are not responsible for having stolen it themselves and therefore should be allowed to keep all of it without question.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I already argued against the miscasting of non-white characters with white actors approximately fifty times in this thread alone.

To be fair, Will Smith hasn't auditioned for a job in twenty years - roles are written for him.

I was making a general point about people like Dennis who attempt to apologise for "white privilege" by choosing black people or women or anyone ahead of a white male because somehow that makes the world more "equal" - a word they clearly do not understand.

Again, for the fiftieth time, I wasn't arguing about Heimdall. I was arguing about iconic characters. Heimdall is at best a supporting cast member.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yes yes, and the CIA invented cocaine to keep the black man down and 9/11 was an inside job.

Sure.

Oh and nice trolling from whoever added the "white power" tag. :rolleyes:

14. Thespeckledkiwi

So you must really hate any biblical movie in the past what? 100 years?

Um what? I am Legend?

15. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I approve of this casting. I could join in the arguments about racially motivated casting, but to be perfectly honest I just don't feel like it. My feelings on that issue vary from project to project, and in this case I don't see the casting as being racially motivated. To that end I'm pleased with the decision.

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

And thus ends another chapter in the digital version of "How to Win Friends and Influence People ... NOT".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.