Krenim vs. Dept. of Temporal Investigations

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by YARN, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Say his name 5 times into a mirror, and he will appear...

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that would mean the least advanced ship would be the one that always dealt with the situation since they would believe they were the only ship there (but we know ships from further into the future have dealt with things so that can't be right) So if ships from various time zones aren't all turning up at the same time that means they must communicate and agree who deals with what or they arghhh!.....no forget it, my brain hurts

Which supports the idea that they must communicate with one another in some fashion and have some kind of procedure

I struggled with "Homecoming" and decided the novels weren't for me.....it seemed like the right place to start but maybe that was an error

3. Guy Gardener

If the least advanced ship can't handle it, a more advanced ship steps in. If that ship is above it's head, an even more advanced ship from further ahead in the timeline then steps in. Of course if no one from the future does manifest to save the day invisibly or otherwise, it's a small hint that there is no one upstream that cares about you. Either because your side lost and has no more bases in the more distant future or your destruction is necessary to the preservation of established history.

Look at how many times the USS Relativity secretly tried to help Voyager, no matter how many times Voyager blew up in the episode Relativity, by winding back time and making subtle changes, until every one lived.

For all we know there was a permanent team of Time Agents garrisoned on Voyager making sure that nothing deviated from what had to happen, just like Daniels served as Archer's Yeoman for months cataloguing the final days of Enterprise before it was destroyed in episode 11 of season one.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think the Dept of Temporal Investigations have just decided "However history was when we were first founded, that's the canonical timeline".

5. Guy Gardener

The Department of Temporal Investigations (indigenous to the 2370s.) short of using natural phenomenon like the Guardian of Forever does not know how to do that. They have no reliable method of time travel that they trust, so they don't even try to time travel. Their job as near as I can tell is to make an accurate record of history and highlight time travellers "appearing" so that future more advanced generations in the Federation can act upon their intelligence. I think Christopher might have said in his novel that like Warehouse 13, another part of their job is to lock shit down. Hold atemporal stuff from the future out of harms way until the present catches up, and help integrate travellers from the past into the present.

%50 social workers, %50 bank clerks.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Homecoming novels aren't very well regarded. In this instance, it would be like quitting on Next Gen because you saw a weak Enterprise episode. The novelverse is insanely vast, with as many styles and authors as the entirety of Trek in TV/film.