My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

There's definitely no need to watch all of S2 unless you really want to. Just be sure to check out "Dead Stop" (easily one of the show's top five) , "A Night in Sickbay", "Singularity" (optional), "The Catwalk", "Stigma", "Cogenitor" and "Regeneration". Though if you do watch S3, might as well add "The Expanse".

... I remember watching "Shockwave, pt. 2" and the Smallville second-season premiere rather close to each other. The quality gap was pretty embarassing for ol' Team Trek.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you really just put a Night in Sickbay on the best of season 2 list? :p

As critical as I am of many of the episodes, you really do get the most of the experience by watching them all. And season 3 has it's flaws too, so don't look to that as a game saver. If you made it through season 1, season 2... has a few more better episodes. Some of which Gaith listed. Really though, it may require sifting through a few more crappy epsidoes, but you don't miss out on the nuggets that are there. Even the bad episodes have their good moments.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

And a lot of those are in the area of character development.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ayup.

I appreciate honesty in art. TNG could pull off a "Chain of Command" because Stewart had that much gravitas, and the whole show was fairly high-minded enough.

ENT, OTOH, is a light and fluffy jaunt of a series. When it tries for grim profundity, it nearly always falls flat for me. It's much better at breezy amiability, of which ANIS is one of the best examples. ;)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But isn't it that way with all the series? IMO ENT has a completely unjustified reputation of being the dud Trek.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

@everyone Thanks for all of your insights on the episodes. I've decided I'll watch the whole series and just keep going along in this comfortable little thread. You all make it such a nice place. :) I may have to ask for one of the mods to edit "season one" out, though.

Aaand onward to SEASON TWO! :)

Shockwave part II
    [​IMG]

This episode had the potential to be a B; it just wasn’t.

Grade: C minus

Carbon Creek
    [​IMG]

I thought I wasn’t going to like this episode because I usually don’t like the Earth based episodes where they’re going back in time, but this was alright. It turned out to be a nice story. :) I know they hid their ears, but I wonder why no one ever asked them about those wicked eyebrows and such. ;)

Grade: B

7. teacake

Not to mention their sickly pallor!

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

I think that'd be the easiest thing to kind of shrug off. I've seen some people that had an interesting tint to their skin, especially if they're smokers. Or, perhaps they were aliens... ;)

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i actually really liked Carbon Creek... fleshed out a vulcans a bit more... and i loved how it turned out to be true in the end, with Trip and Archer believing T'pol was just 'spinning them a yarn' lol

M

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ That's what I liked about it too.

11. teacake

I think it's adorable.

"It might be tolerable if her son didn't insist on calling me... Moe. "

12. Methos

I actually think, oddly enough, one of my favorite episodes from season 1 was 'Dear Doctor'...

By the end of the episode, you can actually understand where the Vulcan's are coming from, and why they tried to hold earth back somewhat... even Archer comments that he knows why the Vulcan's did it now...

Was quite a turning point for Archer's character, and i liked how they brought the humans over to seeing the Vulcan's point of view

M

13. teacake

I also want to say, I'm glad you're going to watch the whole series S/UF! This has been a lovely thread. I don't always read review threads because the posts are often recaps, for some reason just not my thing. I've enjoyed your photos and brief commentary, it's more conversational (to me) than a big review.

14. Methos

yeah, i'm sad i missed some of these, as discussing episodes as you go through them has been quite fun :D

M

15. teacake

Plenty more to go!!

16. Spock/Uhura Fan

Oh, thank you both. That means a lot. :) I figured if people have already seen the episodes, then they already know what happened, and if people are watching them for the first time too, then it's bad to spoil them completely. It's a lot more fun to just talk about what we all got from them and how the experience of watching was.

17. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

W00t yes. Quelle concept - actually talking about the show, its philosophy, the acting and how we all felt about it as a series/art.

Shniff, I'm having a moment here.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad you're still going with this S/UF. Always fun to discuss a series blow by blow.

Shockwave 2, well... I made most of my objections clear. It really didn't make sense, but... it's timetravel so it doesn't have to I guess. The biggest irk with me was T'Pol's continual rejection of the concept. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in time travel either... but if I'm seeing irrefutable evidence of it around me, I'm not going to start clinging to the "Vulcan Science Institutes" conclusions like they're some sort of religion. Other than that... yeah some interesting plot and eye candy, but a basic reset button push. Cept they still have that Time Travel Kit for dummies along with the cloak detector things.

Carbon Creek... I enjoyed this one. Just the silliness of it. They won't eat a deer, but risk contaminating a culture by living there for years? I dunno... priorities guys? Wouldn't eating that deer be... logical... as opposed to starving? But anyways, the "I love Lucy is on." line was hilarious, along with the Moe one... oh and Velcro was invented BEFORE Sputnik was launched... so either that's not continuity or T'Pol's clone embezzled that guy. I think the later is more hilarious. :p

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Thanks. As for T'Pols illogical clinging to what the VSI decreed, well, I think they took a page from Scully on the X-Files with that one. And she could have sold the guy a little doll she made, named Barbie. :p Though, she might not have made any real money from that, so, the beginnings of Fortran perhaps?

Really, Sir, I just like computers... ;)

20. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I completely agree. I was still on the fence about T'Pol up until this episode. When she managed to convince the boys she was just "telling a story" when in reality she was showing them that their first contact...wasn't, I was pleased.

She had annoyed me up until this episode. In this one I enjoyed her character and was pleased to see her express a "playful" side.

I'll add my voice to the "I'm glad you're doing a full rewatch S/U Fan! I'm stalled at the last few episodes of season 2, and I hope this will give me the kickstart I need to continue on to season 3!