Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised they didn't do more to tweak the "Cause & Effect" explosion. It always stood out as a really cheap model effect.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TNG has finally beat the DS9 section in post counts, it'll take the next Bluray releases for us beat VOY section too. Hooray! :techman:

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, fine, forget what I said. If this forum doesn't have super interesting topics, why are we sticking the blu ray threads again. Personally, I've been favoriting them, and they've really helped bring this forum back to awesome status. I'm sure DS9 will be the same way if they ever see blu rays.

4. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

According to FrontierTrek season five is still in the works so they still might consider replacing or at least improving the shot. Wouldn't be the first time that material we saw in the trailer was changed.

5. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

Season Five is one of the weakest seasons of the show for me, really only a few a handful of episodes I really love. So, I'll be waiting for a discounted price instead of pre-ordering on this one.

That said...the video quality does look quite great in this trailer. There are some great shots, like that Unification one that someone posted in the thread. And, again, overall the quality looks so much greater in every shot. I watched a later-season DVD episode a few weeks ago, and I swear, it looked like the old VHS/DVD difference to me, especially the SFX shots.

6. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Season five's certainly not a favourite season, but it does have a few of my favourite episodes, notably Darmok and Ensign Ro. I'll be getting it on release day for sure. :)

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I actually thought about combining older threads but as another poster said below, it would become a confusing mess. A sub-forum kind of hides the topics from plain sight. My conclusion was that we all have scroll devices (wheel, slider, etc.) and can easily navigate the forum so let's just keep on stickin'. No harm done.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Not long now until we see a glimpse of DS9 in HD! :)

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Ooooooh, that'll be sweet!

10. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's definitely weaker than three, four and six. There are still some great episodes, but on the whole it felt like a step down. And Worf's hair was absolutely atrocious throughout.

I'll probably still pre-order it, because I'm a sucker.

11. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does that really bother you?

12. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Does his enthusiasm really bother you? Why not just remain silent?

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

14. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, as this trailer shows, from a visual standpoint, the seasons are getting less and less interesting. The sets are overlit, the photography is unadventurous and the vivid colours from seasons 3 and 4 are slowly disappearing. To me, as of this point, the remastering of TNG has lost some of its interest and the wait for DS9 has begun.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. The Taylorisation begins in earnest, and it feels a little too cosy and comfortable. DS9 really did shake up Star Trek, because it was such a change from those bright, clean sets, and characters who won every week.

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

And the music sucks !

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I love all of TNG, warts and all.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

When did this become a DS9 thread? Last I checked it suppose to be about TNG. :p

19. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I wonder if the lack of vivid colours in the trailer are because the color correction hasn't been fully finalised??

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The trailer for season three was way too bright compared to what we actually got. Just look at the S3 trailer and compare it to the trailer for BOBW.