Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've warmed up to Emil since they first introduced the second Dr. Hamilton (heh). He really is a true "Smallville" version of the comic book version of the character. Actually I thought Clark would have given the signal watch to Chloe...but Emil just makes sense given how important he has become to the Watchtower's operation. Also...I think this is the first time I noticed the blood on Tess's jacket. Brilliant continuity nod. Oh and showing Lex's deformed hand...HOW I LOVE THIS COMIC!!!

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yeah, but I was able to brush off the first Dr. Hamilton since he was Dr. Steven Hamilton. I was happy they cast Juliani as Emil because I had just finished watching nuBSG and quite liked him as Gaeta.

It's not unlikely that the whole team has watches.

I never noticed the blood. Will have to keep an eye out for it on my next read. Thanks for the tip. :)

Fully agreed! :D :D :D

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Gentlemen;

Well, the first order of business was catching up on the ongoing posts by the two of you regarding the latest issue I haven't read yet. You two own this thread! The mods should just change to the thread title to 'Young & Kirk's Smallville Comic Thread'!

:lol:

Again, thanks for whetting my appetite for the stuff I haven't read yet. Between overtime and helping the Missus, I just haven't had time until tonight to catch up on all things Smallville. I'm going to download the last three issues now and start reading.

Great commentary, guys! Keep up the good work.

:techman:

4. Admiral James Kirk

I'm all for it. :)

Thanks. Be interested in reading your thoughts as well. :)

5. Admiral_Young

To clarify Proc...as you have been privy to my past criticisms regarding "Smallville" before and I've shared some of them in this thread again...there has not been an opportunity for me to rant on anything yet in season 11. Miller has pretty much corrected all the previous problems that the series went through, comic form or not, if this was live action and on CW, I wouldn't have very much to complain about. In fact I've had zero criticism with this book so far. It's astonishing really lol.

6. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Truth be told, AY, I have no complaints at this point either... Though I'd love to see more of the cute little blonde, but I realize SV isn't just about her.

One minor problem/complaint that I do have, much as you do with Krypto-Lana, is the fact that the Lex that returned in S10 was a clone and not the REAL Lex. Which I'm not sure why, when they finally convinced Rosey to return for a guest shot, that they didn't go with the idea that it was the Lex who was with Clark in the FoS at the end of S7. I had always assumed up to that point that it was a clone that Ollie had killed.

Either I'm missing something or forgetting something. You tell me which it is.

OK, I'm off to read Issue 7.

:bolian:

7. Admiral_Young

The Lex in season 11 is the returned Clone introduced in the series finale...he lost his memories when Tess injected him with the memory serum. He had all the same memories as the original Lex did, who I believe died when he was blown up in the truck by Ollie.

8. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been reading the comic. What about him?

9. Admiral_Young

Emil is the one who uses the signal watch to alert Clark :)

10. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

OK, that much I remember, but this is my point: I could understand that if they hadn't been able to get Rosey to come back for the finale, that the story would've required using a clone who most likely looked like Observer Lex from the S10 premier, in order to explain why he was physically older than Lex Prime.

But since they DID talk MR into coming back... Then why not have him be the real thing? And say that it was a clone that got blown up in that truck while the real Lex laid low until he felt the time was right to return. This is the part I don't get, because there was no real reason to go with a clone-Lex at that point in time, as Rosey's appearance was a one-shot deal at that point.

:confused:

I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to reading the comic.

11. Admiral James Kirk

For some reason I always assumed that when Darkseid put Lionel's heart into the Lex clone that he put Lex's soul back in as well. I suppose that was just my own poetic musing on the whole matter though.

There seems to be more to this Lex than he just being a biological Smallville: The Best of Lex Blu-ray set. ;) He seems like the real deal. Memories don't make the man after all. Take Connor for example. All of Lex's memories but who did he turn out like? Clark!

Of course that's just my opinion so take it with a big ass grain of salt! ;)

12. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I agree. Lex, as we're seeing him now in Season 11, certainly does seem to be like the real deal, as you say, just with some amnesiac issues. Kinda makes you wonder. Again, if what Kelly and Brian ultimately wanted to end up with was a Lex-clone, then why have him survive the fall of the Fortress? Why tease us with him being alive during Season 8 to end up with a Lex who's been cobbled together like some modern Frankenstein's monster.

Then again, maybe the whole reason is that we begin to view him as a bit of a monster and less of the decent human being he once was.

13. Admiral_Young

I assume it was a nod to the Lex clone story in the Superman comics. It all has to do with Rosey not wanting to return originally. This is all Brian and Kelly's fault really, since they went ahead and still did the Luthor survived story line, hoping to eventually convince Rosey to come back, they introduced that story line in season eight and had us all teased only to reveal that it was some generic stunt guy (no offense to him) as Lex with some voice box. Remember how pissed off most of us were during that story arc that they went ahead with that story line without Rosey?

Again...the Clone Lex IS Lex Luthor. He possesses all the memories of the original (except for the ones that Tess wiped out of his time in Smallville and knowing Clark's secret) and it's important to note that the clone himself acknowledges himself as Lex Luthor and doesn't have a problem being a clone. Just as the comic book clone did, until that was retconned out I believe. LOL. Make no mistake...the clone is Lex.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, in the comics it was Lex's original brain in a new non-cancer ridden cloned body.

15. Admiral James Kirk

Are you referencing the Lex Luthor Jr. clone? Because if you are that was the real Lex Luthor. His original body had Kryptonite cancer so he had his actual brain transplanted into a youthful clone body. Hence Lex Junior. :lol:

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got caught up. Damn fine work.

This book just illustrates that Miller should have been tapped for one of the New 52. Hell, Smallville's big brother book Superman desperately needs someone at the helm with Miller's skills.

17. Admiral_Young

Miller writing "Superman" would have been awesome indeed.

18. Admiral James Kirk

I think Miller's having a lot of fun writing Smallville and it shows on the page. That's why Smallville is DCs best selling digital comic!

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah, it's just been weird though how they have treated him and other writers after the New 52 happened. He should have been given a book after they cancelled "Batgirl" on him.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah. Well he's showing them all up! :D