Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

We really need some news in this thread again.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, I can't believe they are adding Zod...AGAIN! This is just going to be a Superman 2 redux!!! I bet we'll learn that Supes loses his powers again and that Lex is going to want to take over Australia again! Can't Hollywood do anything original!!!!!!111!!!one!!!

What?

3. Admiral_Young

^ That basically sums up the last two pages of this thread.

WHAT??!

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Tomorrow's Sunday. Odds are we'll get casting news for Jor-El or Lex, given the pattern to date! ;)

6. Admiral_Young

^ Possibly. It's also a Sunday before a major holiday so we could get something in the afternoon. For some reason I doubt it. I've read or heard no chatter.

7. Captaindemotion

^ I wasn't entirely serious, but as I observed earlier, the announcements for Superman, Lois and Zod all came out of the blue on a Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised to hear another one tomorrow or on Easter Sunday.

8. Admiral_Young

^ I know. Just saying that usually before Sunday I've read or heard chatter about casting before it's announced. I can say that hasn't been the case this week. Zero in fact regarding "Man of Steel". So that could mean there will be another announcement tomorrow or not lol. Kind of babbling now, sorry.

9. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Admiral_Young

That's not really anything new. It was first reported that the plot might include Clark traveling in West Africa. So I don't take anything away from that "report".

11. Captaindemotion

^ To be fair, the poster explicitly stated that it wasn't a new rumour when he posted the link.

12. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

If you're talking about the scenes on Krypton, I'd say yes. If you're talking about Metropolis, I'd say no. It's best to set Superman NOW, instead of yesterday.

No, sorry, but what was seen in the Donner movie was complete bullshit, IMHO. There's NO WAY that humanoid beings would be able to live in such a world as seen in the Donner movies, period. How do they eat? What do they drink? How do they live? And how do they breathe air? Do they eat crystal food? And unless I was dreaming, the world of Krypton was depicted as a 'strict, scifi world of spaceships and alien planets' in the comic books, albeit with the same natural flora and fauna as seen here on Earth.

Sorry again, but I want to see a Krypton similar to the Krypton shown on Superman: The Animated Series (and don't tell me that it can't be done; similar worlds were shown on Star Trek [TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise] for less money than what was supposedly spent by John Barry [not the same guy who was a composer] to design Krypton for the 1978 movie.) Snyder will want to put his own stamp on what Krypton looks like, and he'll have the money to do so, with today's CGI tech making it possible just as it was made possible on Enterprise and in Star Trek Nemesis for less money that will be budgeted for this upcoming movie.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I was talking about Krypton.

14. Admiral_Young

Apologies regarding it not being an old rumor. I didn't catch the last part of his post. If they're using Birthright as source material this negates what Zack said last October about the movie not being based on any comic...Zod of course is not included in Birthright so who knows. This just is another reinforcement of my point that no one knows anything about the plot so fans shouldn't be freaking out that this is a rehash of Superman II. Wait until we know something about the movie before blasting it.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yet, there was this faked Kryptonian invasion with a pretty prominent leader, so they could name that one Zod.

Of course, that's in the comics, I wouldn't expect Snyder to actually adapt that part. Although it would be pretty cool.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman is fantasy and Krypton doubly so - I'd rather it be stylish than look "futuristic" in some plausible sense. Crystal planet or Sky Captain-ish deco "world of tomorrow" both work for me.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Bullshit or not, it was still great. I loved it. There is a reason why the look has been adapted to the comics and Smallville tv series. It works.

It is better than Superman having to pick up a giant key to open the Fortress of Solitude.

The Kryptonians from the movie knew how to building FTL starships. I'm sure they knew of ways of getting food and air. Just because we didn't see it happen onscreen doesn't mean it didn't exist.

18. Admiral_Young

Geoff Johns worked pretty hard to adapt all previous known depictions of Krypton into the current Superman comics. From the Silver Age uniforms to the Bryne era Green puffy robes, to the Donner Verse stoic scientists all of these variants of their culture made their way into the books. The DonnerVerse Fortress of Solitude was brought back and introduced for the first time in the comics was the Jor-El simulcrum. The crystals were given a name "Sun stone" crystals. They used them to build their world.

Say what you will about the Donner and Lester films but those films depiction of Krypton is one of my favorite things about the movie. I don't know why, but I get a true sense of awe and mystery regarding the ice world. Not to mention that John William's breathtaking Krypon theme is one of my all time favorite pieces of music.

19. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

No, it doesn't and it didn't work for me as a boy of 8 seeing the first movie in 1978. That was lazy budgeting on the part of the Salkinds and lazy design on the part of John Barry. And amazingly enough, it wasn't 'timeless' for the producers of Lois & Clark, as they didn't use any of it for the ship that brought Superman to Earth or for the episodes about the surviving Kryptonians.

No one says that he has to, and he hasn't done so for the past two decades in the comic books; they can have him use Kryptonian tech to enter and exit the Fortress. Actually, even if he did/does use the giant key, so what? It's more of an icon than that stupid version of the Fortress that was so simple Lex Luthor could get into it. (BTW, in All Star Superman,he does use a key to get in-but it's a small key made of super dense white dwarf materiel so heavy that only he can lift it.)

I don't care what was not shown onscreen, that fact is that it should be impossible (and most likely is impossible) for flesh and blood beings to live that way. It's also extreme laziness on the part of the set designer, producers and director to do that design for Krypton with the millions of dollars it cost to make Superman The Movie.

20. Admiral_Young

^It's an escapist film about an alien who flies and has super-strength and you're concerned with the way it depicted an alien culture? LOL.