DEFIANCE Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by teacake, Jun 13, 2015.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have not looked forward to any new shows as much as this one. I've put off watching Orange to finish up my season 2 rewatch of Defiance in prep for tonight's Season 3 premiere. I am super happy it's back!

Glad I did a rewatch as I'd forgotten the key points of how Season 2 ended. Nolan and Irisa are in a Kaziri pod miles underground along with lots of other minor cast members. Christie and Alak have been kidnapped by Christie's newly returned and rather racist mother and Quentin and are driving who knows where, pursued by the Tarr's and Rafe.

Amanda and Pottinger have done the deed, Amanda is totally in the dark as to Pottinger's twisted little boy ways. His most nasty act, the commissioning of a fake Kenya, was covered up by Doc Yewll who needs him in her pocket.

This season will have a (no doubt dramatic) birth ep.

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Defiance is one of my guilty pleasures and we just watched the repeat of last season's finale before the new show started. It'll be nice have someone else watching.

:techman:

3. teacake

I went from laughing at it in season 1 to being a huge fan in season 2! Tony Curran is great! But so is practically everyone else.. Doc Yewll is very amusing. The one character that I ended up finding very tedious is dead. Yes. I've even come round to Nolan who I was very meh about. How long before it's on? I have to go out so won't read this thread once it airs until I watch it myself.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, the human characters are now the minority on the show.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite the blood bath there.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My nephew was in the room when it started.

"What is this shit? It's shit! You can't make me watch this!!!"

Then the cast started dropping like flies and he shut the #### up.

No one's made a joke about what a fine piece of ass Yewl is?

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

might have to watch it with the spoilers - Canada for example doesn't get the start of the new season until Sunday night local time.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, that was eventful!

But one burning questions remains unknown: who wrote Goddess of the Badlands, that trashy dime novel about Irisa?

I really hope Irisa runs into the author at some point. I'm imagining some ink-stained hack who spends all his royalties at the Need/Want . ...

9. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How the heck these people still have a currency-based economy!?! They are a step away from a Mad Max-style anarchy! :confused:

10. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

I would guess it was the male Irathi (?) character played by the Sanctuary actor, but I'm not sure whether he survived the s2 finale or not. I didn't watch the show closely last year, so don't recall his name. He did appear in the ''previously on...'' recap at the beginning.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a hard time keeping my interest in season two and for some reason, thought the show was cancelled. I debated, briefly, not watching it this season, but decided to give it a shot. I think it could be an interesting season, if they keep this up.

I was never much a fan of the Tarrs, but I do like what I've seen of General Rahm Tak. He's charismatic and I'm a sucker for aliens loving our culture while hating us. Maybe I just hope that what ever happens to us, Johnny Cash lives on.

12. Greg Cox

Ooh, good call. I like that theory.

As I recall, he scurried to safety before the mine came down on top of Nolan and Irisa.

13. teacake

Yes it was written by Mordecai somethingorother and that's the name of Robin Dunne's character. Presumably the same Mordecai.

Just finished watching it.

ALL THAT DEATH IN THE SNOW it was Fargo with aliens.

Very upsetting. Felt sick. Felt sad. Rafe was such an awesome character and his alliance with the Tarrs was so amusing and now, gone. And that's not even the most upsetting death. Awful.

Alak Tarr needs to, I don't know I was going to say grow a pair but really it's mail order a pair because he is working with NOTHING. WHY did he not kill Pilar and take his kid? When he knows she is 100% nuts, evil, nasty and not to be trusted?! Does he have Stockholm syndrome after being chained up for 7 months? WTF is wrong with him?

This is all very dramatic but I was enjoying SO MUCH the Tarr crime empire and Christie coming into her own in that household and was anticipating alliances and machinations against E-Rep this season and whoa. Not the plot at all. Might never see any of that again.

As to the NEW, made for action figure PURPLE PEOPLE! Okay they look very stupid. I enjoy that there are still ships up there with people in stasis, it makes sense. But would have been a lot more fun if it was a bunch of rogue terrorist Castis rather than new Wraith race. Oh well, there are space ships poised to destroy earth, that's science fiction.

14. teacake

And where is my little sicko Pottinger.

"gone"

15. Guy Gardener

Bludgeoning nice blokes in the back of the head with a golf club?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was a disappointed that Potinger was given such a quick off hand dismissal. He was such a big part of last season that he really deserved a better farewell.
    I loved the premier. Defiance has been one of my favorite shows since it started, and I think this was one of the best episodes.
    The Omec are pretty cool, they seem like they should be good villains.
    General Rahm Tak seems like he should be a really good villain too.
    I do have to wonder if we will see Defiance team up with the VC to fight the Omec, or the other way around. One of those, or possibly even possibly even both of those over the course of the season, seems pretty inevitable at this point.
    The stuff with the book about Irisa was funny.
    I was really shocked and sad to see Rafe and Christie go, I really liked both of them.
    It was kind of surprised when Irisa was so pissed that Nolan shot the guy who's son was killed Kindzi killed. Usually she'd be the first one to let the knives fly. I wonder if the whole Kaziri thing is going to end up taming her a bit.

17. teacake

Did anyone else hear Jeffry Combs when Tak said "pinkskins"?

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either way it goes, Defiance will end up having to fight both, at some point. I see it as Nolan and Amanda teaming up with the Omec (they already have an agreement for the gulanite), enraging the non-humans, who will likely side with the VC. Then, once the Omec's ship is repaired, the Omecs will make their move.

19. Greg Cox

Or Defiance and the V.C. will put aside their differences to unite against the common threat: the Omecs.

I like that the humans are (perhaps foolishly) regarding the Omecs as just another new alien race, while the other Votans have a whole different perspective (and history) where the Omecs are concerned .. . .

20. Guy Gardener

During the first chat, Darla and Wolf were deeply suspicious, one of them was "You have a ship, a working ship?"

OH!

Is this a new expansion for the game?

Are we three months behind or three months ahead of the game?