Cover and blurb for TOS: The Weight of Worlds

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not exactly right. What those of us who wrote Marvel novels for Pocket were told (at least by Marco, for the books he edited in that line) was to approach them with the sensibilities of a movie, i.e. making them standalone stories accessible to a general audience and not worrying too much about comics continuity (though some of us did tie closely into the comics anyway). It wasn't about referencing the specific continuity of the movies at the time.

The approach of Pocket's TOS novels these days seems to be just telling classic TOS-style one-and-done adventures.

2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cover reminds me of the reissue covers of the old Bantam books.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For the record, I wasn't given any specific directions along those lines. I mean, I'm sure it's not a coincidence that Pocket is publishing a TOS novel just a few weeks before the movie comes out, but you'll note that that is clearly Shatner, Nimoy, and Takei on the cover, not Pine or Quinto, etc. Personally, I just set out to write a standalone TOS book, like I did with Rings of Time last year. Heck, this book is roughly based on some vague ideas I've had for a couple of years now. I just happen to be getting around to using them now.

4. Christopher

Yeah, that's pretty much was I was thinking.

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It would!

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool cover it looks like the classic Tos covers from the 1980's books..This sounds like a classic Tos story from Kirk's 5 year mission and I'm glad Greg has another novel coming out this year.I liked his Tos novel Rings of Time that came out last year.:techman:I like seeing Sulu on the cover with Kirk&Spock on the cover.It's been a long time since the Tos characters were on the front cover instead of the novel with just the Enterprise being the cover art for the tos books.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

What a lovely cover! Not a floaty head in sight! :)

8. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

When I clicked on this thread, my first thought was "why is there a bantam cover in the op?"

Very nice to see that these kinds of covers are still being put together

9. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Very nice cover. Though I've a feeling I'm going to have a hard time not thinking of the Ori from Stargate SG-1...

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

What a sharp cover.

11. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I like the new "The Original Series" logo on the new TOS books. A way to differentiate them better, for once.

12. Greg Cox

I'm confess I've only seen a couple of episodes of SG-1 (mostly because Claudia Black was in them).

13. Christopher

That's a very good reason. ;) Still, the series (and the broader franchise) is worth checking out, though the first season or two of SG-1 are relatively weak.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That show and the fact it was able to run for 10 seasons is why I think a more TOSy Star Trek could work on TV these days. I mean for the most part it reminds me of TOS sans ship and with a smaller cast, and maybe a little less serious.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Do we know who did the artwork for the cover?

16. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

SG-1 sometimes reminded me of TNG as well when it did high-concept procedural scifi, and in the later seasons occassionally of DS9 when it managed to get into meatier and more resonating character drama thanks to the accumulated history of the characters. I agree there's a lot to like in that series for fans of the Trek franchise, even sans some of the more philosophical core aspirations of Trek. I think despite the more overtly militaristic elements of the setting it also basically has much of the basic optimism and brightness that I like about Trek.

17. Greg Cox

Good question. I don't know.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really think it was the most Trek like of the non-Trek Sci-Fi series to have aired in the last couple decades.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Cool cover, but all these 5YM TOS books in the first half of the year are going to make it a lot easier for me to catch up on my Trek lit backlog. :techman:

20. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Well I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't like the cover at all. I am sure the novel will be great though - sounds like a good concept, weaponized gravity.