Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

^^ That's what I was thinking.
    (Edit: asking spoilery questions in a no spoilers thread)

2. cubbie

some spoilers in this review from SFX ---Edit: Beware this had major spoilers!

Videos of the actors in Sydney being interviewed for Sydney Morning Herald

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. msbae

msbae Commodore

4. porthos4captain

porthos4captain Commodore Commodore

DO NOT READ THE SFX REVIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED! There are a couple of things mentioned which give away some things you might want to wait until you see it to find out.

5. porthos4captain

porthos4captain Commodore Commodore

As it's a non-spoiler thread I don't want to go into major detail. I will simply say that Nick Meyer's TWOK submarine approach has been applied rather liberally. Hopefully that gives a general direction of the design sensibilities without giving too much away.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

This is starting to filter through to mainstream media.

Here I am sat at work eating my lunch when the local radio station comments on the premiere and that the movie is getting good reviews, I then logged onto news.bbc.co.uk for my daily lunchtime news fix and found that the story about 'Spock gives fans a star trek treat' was on there and is the 7th most read story at the moment!

Good times!

7. cubbie

Thanks for the heads up! I will edit my post above, then

This revew by TotalFilm review seems safer (and yeah, i'm only skimming because I'm afraid of reading something I shouldn't)

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The SFX review: 5 out of 5 stars for the new movie. I did notice one mistake...they point out that many TOS episodes were "action oriented" over content, and Doomsday Machine was given an example...well Doomsday Machine was a parable about nuclear weapons and the insanity of using a weapon that will destroy everyone.

RAMA

9. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:eek:

Excellent.

The mainstream have it now, its out of our power. It was in the Metro newspaper this morning, its on Sky News etc etc.

Word has it it was wprth the wait. Lets hope so. I went onto AICN and they seem pretty impressed.

You bastards, you cold heartless bastards. You, in Texas, you heard. Seeing the advance screening thinking your going to se TWOK. what an evil trick to play on you all.

Im gonna hunt you all down one by one. Then im gonna... Aks how it was. ;)

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, it's tough isn't it? You don't wanna be spoiled, but the questions asked are getting jusssst a little more detailed, a little more specific as time goes on. Some of them are nearly on the side of spoilerish. It's a hard thing to control. Personally, I think some of the more specific questions, even from those claiming to not want "spoilers" ought to be curtailed here. I more than understand the urge to know a few, non-plot related things about the sets and so on, but if you can wait a month to discover the good stuff, why not just wait the month to get it all?

I'm more than satisfied to know the film apparently is amazing and the cast is great. That was my only worry. I'll be happy to discover the rest when I see the film.

Once again...STAR TREK LIVES!

11. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, obviously that was a reviewer who never really watched the series. The "content" in Trek was generally always there and the action was either part of the point (Doomsday Machine) or just part of the format of an action/adventure/ science fiction series. But rarely, if ever, did the action take the important slot over the "content."

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

hehehehe

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

great non-spoiler review
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25310150-16947,00.html
    ASKED by Paramount to revive the film franchise of Star Trek, which had been dormant, some might say moribund, since the feature Nemesis tanked artistically and critically in 2002, hotshot director JJ Abrams put his best minds to work.
    Some of his conspirators were Trekkies, some had never seen a single episode. The point was that they all had to be satisfied with the film, from their various perspectives.

The result is a triumph, certain to be regarded as not just one Trek's better moments, but one of the finest films made in the sci-fi genre.

Special effects in films grow daily more complex and believable. Abrams will make you believe in a crisp future full of green women, bug-eyed aliens serving on the bridge of the Enterprise, and space conflicts that make most previous Trek films look like Saturday morning cartoons.

Abrams neatly sidesteps the the groaning Trek universe, and its attendant obsessive hordes by taking us back to the beginning, to where no TV series or Trek film has gone before: to Kirk's birth, in fact. Who was he? Where did his drive to explore new worlds come from? Where did he get his sexy mojo? The film reveals all.

But as much as we are present from the beginning of Kirk's story, and it is satisfying indeed to see him get his arrogant early spots knocked off in a brutal bar fight, in some ways this is even more about Spock. We meet him bullied at school for being half-human, before he developed his emotionless Vulcan ways, which were always a bit of a patina in any case.

The film is heavy on action and conflict and it drives along like the best Bond films. Performances from the young cast who are depicted for the first time as a cohort are uniformly sensational, as are the characterisations. It can't have been easy re-inventing the wheel and some of the best known characters in popular culture.

Star Trek is young again. It is sexy, but it also has a rich emotional depth among the jaw dropping effects. The film is a cracking yarn about the beginning of something even non-Trekkies know a bit about. Perhaps best of all, it is genuinely funny without trashing its subject, as, 1999's Galaxy Quest did. Abrams's triumph is that he will expand the fan base without alientating the faithful.

14. goran'agar

goran'agar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One of the first official newspaper reviews - after the premiere in sydney. Not sure if these have been posted

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25310150-16947,00.html (hehe just above)

http://media.smh.com.au/entertainment/pick-of-the-flicks/first-star-trek-review-467193.html

Quotes from the two reviews, respectively

"not just one Trek's better moments, but one of the finest films made in the sci-fi genre."

"Phenomenal"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  15. cubbie

That review from the Australian is great!

16. Lior .B.

Lior .B. Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the first star trek movie that I don't want to be spoiled about!

17. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

^Me too.

18. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

yeah i really like how it acknowledges the feat that abrams pulled off. this movie could have gone wrong in so many ways. they're doing a prequel to an established franchise with tons of baggage. they had to cast characters to play iconic roles and update them without aping the originals. they had to connect this new story to everything that had come before. they had to tell an origin story that would make sense for someone who had never seen star trek.

they achieved all these goals and managed to tell a brialliant story. as much as TWOK was and is the best ST movie, this one is the most impressive cinematic achievement.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn. I thought that "these guys don't have a clue what they're doing?" :guffaw:

20. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

you must have a lot of posts archived somewhere of people saying apocalyptic things about the new trek movie.