Did Voyager get better or worse when Kes was replaced with 7 of 9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Nov 21, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Hello Kitty, there are automatically 4 million of every item out there in the world. Kind of like every last bit of merch from The Phantom Menace.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I thought Ryan was a lot of fun on Leverage, too, again playing a con artist . . . .

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a pity she didn't show up for the final episode. :(

4. teacake

:: makes a little note ::

5. Guy Gardener

Oh you.

Beth Riesgraf is way hotter than Jeri, and she doesn't cheat by wearing nothing but a size zero body sock in public.

6. teacake

I'm not really into Ryan's hotness. I just think she is quite unusual looking, very distinctive. She draws the eye.

Anyway I'm currently on a major Julie Cooper kick.. Melinda Clarke needs to be used in something humourous again. Get her out of her cardboard Nikita role, because she's quite funny as well as gorgeous.

[​IMG]

7. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Yes, it did bet bettter once seven joined the ship.

8. Guy Gardener

Imagine if the coin flip had went the other way and DS9 got the Borg!

9. teacake

Sisko would absolutely loath her.

Quark would be slobbering over her and totally forget about Jadzia.

Bashir would make an idiot of himself for three episodes and then it would all be about her medical needs with random moments of wistful lust thrown in.

Kira and 7 would have a tedious B'Elanna bitching at 7 relationship.

Now the most important question, who to pair her with.. I'm going for MU Ezri.

10. Guy Gardener

Voyager would still have gotten Jeri, they found her first.

The coin toss in the real world was between the respective producers of DS9 and Voyager for the new Starfleet Uniforms vs. All the Borg props and costumes.

11. teacake

DS9 didn't need the Borg, they had the Cardassians.

12. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Business is about making profit to maintain it. It can't always be about being nice.

Another part of running a good business is knowing to can't please everybody. This is why producers listen to fan feed back but they can't allow all of it to affect how they run the show.
    There was no reason bring back fans that may or may not have still been watching the show to begin with to "deliberately" insult them. There is no point and nothing to gain from that. What would be the purpose?
    Sorry, I don't see the entire writing staff and producers all sitting around saying: "Well, we have 5 stories written. What should we go with?"
    " Pulp them all, I want you to write a story that will personally and deliberately piss off Kes fans." "
    "..but Kes isn't in the show anymore."
    "WRITE IT!!!"
    ......and then they ALL agreed on it.
    Highly unlikely that would waste a budget and resources on something that wasn't going to make them a profit due to further alienation of viewers. Especially since they were trying to gain more viewers by using that gimmick of bring her back, not push them away. What really happened was it was a script that sounded better on paper but ended up being poorly executed during filming. Nothing more, nothing less.

Seems like everyone that worked on the show from Paramount, their marketing researchers and production staff all had gotten enough statistics to say differently.

Never mind, I see talking business economics is pointless with you.
    I was under the impression we could actually have an mature adult conversation.

I don't even know how this relates to anything.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Lynx

^^
    If you didn't know it, I'm well-educated and have a very good knowledge of politics, history, geography, economics and events all over the world.

I know a lot about what's going on in the business world and the official and unofficial rules of that world. But that doesn't mean that I have to like what's going on. And when I don't like certain things, I question them and speak out against them. And do you know why? Because if no one speaks out against injustice, corruption and what's wrong in this world, nothing will change or get better. That's why I think it's everyone's duty to speak out against what him or her find wrong in this world.

16. teacake

BUT we all find different things wrong with the world. If you have enough contrasting wrongs speaking out you end up with war.

17. Lynx

^^
    That might happen in some unfortunate cases.
    But keeping the mouth shut and accepting injustice is no guarantee for peace. Look at WWII.

And what would the world have been without environment movements, civil right movements and people like Vaclav Havel, Aleksandr Solshenitsyn etc?

18. teacake

Yeah I'm just poking at you here lynx because of the comparisons between Lien getting fired and the holocaust :D

19. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

There are two problems with this, Lynx.

First, when I first met you on this board, you were using nasty hearsay to make your point: and you trashed the reputation of a perfectly lovely woman to do it. Not cool. I certainly hoped you learned your lesson when you discovered how incredibly wrong you were.

Second, can anything be done about this injustice?

I am deeply involved in some political issues, so yes, I do know what it means to fight for something. But these are issues where I can make a difference. I can educate people on the dangers of fracking or GMO crops. I can encourage people to buy their food from small farms in their area. I can make a difference--even a small one.

Your efforts yield nothing. Voyager is no longer being filmed. There are no new episodes coming down the pike, no Voyager movie will ever be made.

So comparing this "cause" to human rights or environmental movements is absurd. You cannot change the past & there is no future for Voyager. You're fighting a battle that can never be won. That's the essence of futility.

And, well, it's rather insulting to someone who lost family in the Holocaust to have an actress losing her job be compared to that.

20. teacake

To be fair it was me that leaped from lynx's mention of WWII to the holocaust. While it's a natural leap to make I was deliberately hyperbolizing his hyperbole. But I would not want Lien = Holcaust to enter into the board's memory and get regurgitated for the next five years as a lynx thing because that's not strictly accurate.