F1 2012 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it's actually 2014 when the rules change, but a works team might be better then.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that at first, but the likelihood is that the team will begin the design process for the 2014 car sometime during the second half of the 2013 season. It would make sense for Hamilton to be able to influence its creation from the start, rather than have to make changes once the 2013 season ended and Hamilton moved from McLaren to Mercedes in the alternative hypothetical scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Hamilton's made a silly move here, but if he and Mercedes really genuinely do think that the rule changes for 2014 will create a title-winning opportunity, then having Hamilton in place during the 2013 season would offer a better chance of optimising the design process for that 2014 car.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I too think it was a mistake to leave McLaren, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Though I don't think McLaren helped themselves, with all the points they have cost Lewis over the past seasons. Pit stop errors, bad pit stop calls etc..

4. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As both a McLaren and Hamilton fan, I'm disappointed, but as a Perez fan, I'm very excited; hopefully they don't ruin his season next year like they have done to Hamilton this year.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Only time will tell.

6. Geckothan

If the new engines really are to be scrapped as has been reported, then Hamilton has definitely screwed up.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I doubt the new engines will be scrapped, money will already have been spent on development of them. And besides don't the new engines better suit the engine manufactures like Mercedes, for purposes of Road cars?

And besides McLaren have to start buying their engines either next year or the year after. And over recent years the Mercedes engine has been the best engine. So it is possible that McLaren might not be able to afford them.

Also the Vodafone deal is coming to an end I believe, unless it's renewed. And with the loss of LH it might have an impact on sponsership deals.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i've noticed the local santander only has jenson button adverts in the window today

9. Geckothan

Perez is pretty well connected with Telmex (and Carlos Slim himself), is he not? I'm sure they'll bring in more than enough money to keep things running neat and tidy. Mercedes will still want to sell their engines to other teams, and given how reliable and quick their current engines have been over the years, I'm sure McLaren will still be first in line to buy them. Telmex McLaren Mercedes, anyone?

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sure McLaren will no doubt want to buy them, but for each £1 they spend on engines they have £1 less to spend elsewhere on the car.

11. Geckothan

You can't build a good car and then skimp on the engine.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Schumi has announced his retirement, I see. Damn shame it had to that way cos of Lewis and not his own choice

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think he should have come out of retirement. Don't get me wrong he is one of the best drivers.

14. Geckothan

Anyone else staying up to watch FP1/2?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Erm, no.

16. Geckothan

And you call yourself a fan? Maybe it's a bit easier for me, being able to stay up for three days at a time whenever I feel like it.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's a bit easier for people who have the Sky F1 channel - which a lot of us don't!

I see the BBC's highlights slot is 2 hours tomorrow instead of 90 minutes... I suppose it's too much to hope that means 90 minutes of racing rather than 50 or so... But I bet it's just to squeeze in a 30-minute Schumi tribute or something...

18. Geckothan

Find somebody with Sky who will let you use their account for Sky Go, or get a Freesat receiver and some dish, and point it at 19.2e.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched the extended highlights; really delighted that Kobayashi got a podium in his home race. :cool:

Also glad that the Championship has tightened up nicely. I'm not much of an Alonso fan, so would be happy with A.N.Other challenging him, and Vettel looks to be the man to do it this year. His car was just perfectly hooked up today; you could hear how delighted he was with its performance. That bodes well for the next races.

Roll on Korea!

20. Geckothan

As long as Vettel shouts 'OMG ASDFSDAFAF THANK YOU BOYS' and sticks his finger up every time he wins a race or goes on pole, and sticks his bottom lip out and whines like a child every time he doesn't get his own way, I'll never take him seriously.

Alonso is just as annoying, but I'd rather him win the championship than grant Vettel the hat trick. Surely nobody believes that Vettel is worthy of three titles?

He never lead the table at any point in 2010 (despite being in a top car) until he was gifted a win at the very end through no merit of his own, and his 2011 dominance was almost 100% due to having a ridiculous rule-bending (not to mention wing-bending) car.

If the title were decided purely on driving merit alone, Hamilton or Alonso would be running away with it, leaving LOLVETTEL behind to scrap with Karthikeyan for last place.