A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There is definitely something going on there - Pate the impersonator (one of the House of B&W assassins maybe?) looking for an Archmaester's key to the Citadel archives, dragonglass candles "working" again, and all around the time of Sam's opportune arrival.

I don't get the impression that it's a red herring at all. In fact, I think this will be a critical piece in the next book, if not the final one. There is a conversation about this going on over at AFoIaF, particularly with the key and where it may lead.

Be warned, there appears to be a lot of spoiler-filled discussion there - I'm assuming, based on some released transcripts from TWoW.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm still surprised that Alfie Allen didn't get a nomination in Season 2.

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering that Sam is at the Citadel, and has fallen in with a crowd that thinks most of the maesters would prefer magic be suppressed, I'm sure we'll hear more about that in The Winds of Winter. I'm pretty curious where Sam's story is going, especially with Jaqen in the mix. He, Sansa, and Aeron Greyjoy are the only characters we haven't had an update on since Feast, either in Dance or in the preview chapters from Winds.
    That's the same assassin Arya befriended under the name Jaqen H'ghar. The description of the alchemist before he steals Pate's form is the same as what Jaqen transforms into at the end of A Clash of Kings.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Dramas rarely manage two nominations in that category, and Allen was never going to displace Dinklage, particularly since Dinklage had tons of plot and screentime that year.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm STILL surprised Dinklage didn't win for "Blackwater". That was one of Tyrion's finest movies in the entire series, and Dinklage knocked it out of the park with his acting.

Dinklage will be getting a bunch of great material to work with next year with the Tyrion on Trial storyline. Really looking forward to that.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dinklage is good as Tyrion but he's far from the best of the cast. It doesn't help that he shares screentime with Charles Dance, Lena Headey and the underrated Jack Gleeson, who give more nuanced performances. I'm not big on Dinklage's Tyrion accent, I think Roy Dotrice's in the audio books is much more appropriate.

The only actor in the show I find genuinely terrible is whoever plays Shae, I sometimes feel the need to skip scenes she's in. The rest of the cast are all good, and for the most part well suited for their book counterparts. The Roose and Ramsay casting choices don't resemble their character in the books at all, yet were still very charismatic and interesting in their roles.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm a fan of what Gleeson does, but I wouldn't really call his performance "nuanced". There's absolutely no nuance to Joffrey. Gleeson does a great job of selling his one-dimensional villainy.

8. DalekJim

To each their own,, but I find his performance more interesting and eccentric than Dinklage's posh stiffness.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. While the character isn't deep, the performance has been at times. Gleeson plays him differently depending on which characters he is interacting with. Around his family he is much more childishly because they still mostly treat him like a child. His confidence turns into empty bravado and attempts at trying to make them respect him. How much of that is actually Gleeson and how much is direction and writing I don't know, but it is there.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong on your description of the post-Zimmerman protests. There has been no 'savage rioting and looting' following the acquittal. Right-wing media may have been salivating at the prospect of post-Rodney-King-style rioting but it is well-documented that the vast majority of protests in response to the acquittal have been peaceful

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-protesters-streets-anger-acquittal/story?id=19665990

There has been some violence but hardly 'savagery.' For that sort of adjective, you need to look to where I live in Belfast, where there has been sustained violence by White Anglo-Saxon (or Ulster-Scots) Protestants since last Friday. Much greater violence, committed in greater concentration in a smaller part of the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23334360

Your adherence to stereotypes, quite frankly, shows the same mindset as George Zimmerman - black person = likely criminal - which is quite saddening. Indeed, to use a case where an unarmed black child was shot dead by an armed half-white/half Hispanic man with a criminal record, as an example of black people being violent, is shockingly offensive.

I like Gatiss as a writer and enjoy his performances in League of Gentlemen but I can't take him seriously as a dramatic actor. Even in Sherlock, I'm expecting him to start going 'Fireman!' or some other LOG catchphrase.

I can see him as maybe a Wildling, perhaps the Magnarr of Thenn but I still think that the writers have sort of merged that character with Thormund Giantsbane to form the television version of Thormund. Not sure who else I can see him playing.

11. DalekJim

Yeah, me and him totally have loads in common.

I don't really get why the case was bought up in this thread in the first place. I've made my opinion of the reaction very clear, and don't wish to give those people any more attention, so it's best we just get back to discussing great fantasy literature and its TV adaptation.

He'd be a good Mace Tyrell, he's good at acting pompous.

12. 137th Gebirg

Oh...really?
    Rolling Crime Wave in Hollywood
    Protesters Detained in Victorville Rally
    More on Victorville Arrests
    Additional Hollywood Rioting
    Beating in Baltimore
    ...and the "well-documented" list goes on and grows every day...

Right-wing media may have been shamelessly "salivating" to see it, but left-wing media has been blatantly blind to its existence. Both sides in this argument are acting stupidly, engaging in bald-faced race-baiting to pander to their own twisted political agendas and I shit on them both.

Do we really need to bog down a fucking GoT thread with this nonsense?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  13. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. I thought it was bafflingly inappropriate when the Trayvon Martin case was brought up in conjunction with ASoIaF. Threads exist to discuss George Zimmerman and I don't want to see pages and pages of this thread get filled with Zimmerman conversation to the point where it's as bloated and massive as Tormund's member. Har!

14. DalekJim

I read A Song of Ice and Fire to get away from the real world of thugs and their well meaning, yet ultimately dangerous liberal apologists. As a hermit with social anxiety disorder, none of these issues are bound to affect me any time soon, so let's get back to discussing more immediately important matters to my life. Like.. the motivations of Varys, the identity of the Great Other, and Lena Headey's tragic lack of nudity.

:lol:

15. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

You got me. GRRM may still be able to come up with something that neatly fills all the gaps, but I do think he probably changed what he was intending there somewhere along the lines.

Personally, I don't think there's a R'hllor or a Great Other nor any other god. I think there's some kind of deep-seated magical force in the world that has both ice and fire forms, but there's no sentient deities and ice and fire aren't enemies so much as dual sides of the same coin (both can resurrect, both have means of seeing other times and places via the flames and weirwoods, etc.).

That said, if there IS a Great Other, it mostly certainly isn't Melisandre as some people on Westeros baffling think. Like... we've got a Melisandre POV and know she's genuine in her beliefs, even if a good deal of her arsenal IS just tricks. How they think she's an ice god in disguise, I have no idea...

I think it's probably for the best to keep her covered until the Walk of Shame scene in later seasons. That's such a powerful and raw moment that it'd work best if we were seeing her nude for the first time when all of King's Landing does as well. Headey's done nudity before so I'm hoping she will again because it'll easily be the least gratuitous nude scene GoT's ever done, one that serves as the peak of Cersei's entire character arc of vanity rather than just "Oh, here's a prostitute serving Pod! Titty time!"

16. Captaindemotion

The first article you quote is by
    . Forgive me for not taking him seriously.

The second one says that
    This is savagery? Unlawful assembly? 17 arrests?

Third article is the same story.

Fourth article:
    Final story:
    Reports on Facebook, really? How reliable. Note that the police report doesn't even mention the comments. Linking this to Trayvon protests is tenuous as best.

Fair enough, I don't want to dereail the ASOIAF of thread but I defy you to find any protest or series of protests, held by white, black or other people, right-wing, left-wing or whatever, where there won't be a few assholes to let everyone else down. I acknowledged in my previous post that there had been violence in these protests, I reiterate that this falls well short of savagery. In Belfast, we've had blast bombs, petrol bombs, nail bombs, police attacked with samurai swords, clubs etc. THAT is savagery.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/galleries/news/belfast-riots-july-2013-29431189.html

I just hope it doesn't scare HBO off coming back here for future GOT.

17. 137th Gebirg

You miss my point, and fuck your faux high-minded "defiance". I don't give a shit because both sides are WRONG in this.

And, too late, you've already derailed the thread with this puerile political bullshit.

All I care about (here) is GoT. Period.

18. Captaindemotion

^That's a constructive attitude. Go you.

Not quite sure how posting 5 links about 'news stories' is consistent with only caring about GOT, but whatever...

19. DalekJim

I think it's pretty unfair to expect his entire gameplan not to have changed since 1996, so I'm not gonna pissed at him for changing gears slightly. I do hope we get an adequate explanation though as it struck me as very strange seeing Varys act like that upon my re-read.

I think it'll be left somewhat ambiguous, but I see the conflict of Ice and Fire that Melisandre sees as so relevant to the grand scheme of the series that it can't all be bullshit.

20. Captaindemotion

There has to be some explanation for resurrecting Dondarrion and Cat, for one thing, which at present only R'hllor offers. And the conflict of fire and ice, well, it's kinda in the title!