Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, May 25, 2013.

1. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some haters just love to hate, yes there are some absolutely terrible fan films but this isnt one of them and despite anything I may not have thought were perfect I remember that they are people doing it for the love of it and not the paycheck - most of all it was alot of fun!

This is one thing I dont hope comes back, but thats me as I found most Holodeck episodes boring.

I like the fact they have shown a counselor, its not like they Picards would have been the first ship to have one, even though from TNG on the next time we met one was Ezri on DS9.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There may have not been much growth for Kirk (although there was some; Spock had much more development over time) but he was at least an actual character with wants, desires, and a smidgen of a personal life. The characters on Mission: Impossible were ciphers; after two seasons, Nimoy notes in I Am Spock that the only time anything was learned about Paris was a single scene in which he entered a room wearing a tuxedo.

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock grew due to Nimoy perfecting the role, then reified about the end of season one. Kik actually grew less nuanced and complex.

4. BorgusFrat

BorgusFrat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Awesome, awesome production. The camera blocking was amazing. So much care into the composition of the shots- see in Sickbay when the new Dr. tries to talk to Kirk and then moves right between Kirk and McCoy in the shot, and later, toward the end of the episode when almost all of them are in Sickbay, you can see at around 44 minutes that they're ALL framed about perfectly. Awesome. With no marks on the floor itself. And a lot of attention to detail. One that jumped out at me as a tech nerd though is the medical monitors in Sickbay were always "On' when in the show they were dark when no one was on the bed. But still, unbelievable :drool:

5. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why can't Kirk have a counselor on board of TOS-era Enterprise? because it is the single WORST idea brought on by TNG-era Roddenberry and crew...ESPECIALLY that they gave the counselor a seat on the bridge right next to the Captain's. With all due respect to Marina Sirtis, every single time her character in her official position came on, it immediately applied the brakes to every story...To make sure the counselor had some part to play in the episode, the Captain has to be less of the character he needs to play, that of a decisive leader...

Please STContinues and Phase 2 filmmakers, jettison this concept and any characters associated with out into deep space , like YESTERDAY!!

As for the episode, Pilgrim of Eternity. I found it pleasant enough, but at the end of the day, the big problem is in the script! The episode itself is just not about ANYTHING in particular... You have TOS episodes such as CHARLIE X which is about the conflicts of a youth trying to be a man, THE ENEMY WITHIN (the duality of man), ARENA (wanton and unchecked warfare), the DEVIL IN THE DARK (prejudice against "strange"-looking foreigners)... and so on...

PILGRIM of ETERNITY...I can't figure out just what it is about...

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no wesley was the single worst idea in tng.

having a counsellor was an ok idea, poorly executed.

7. plynch

Well, first it is a what-do-we-do episode. Second, as a viewer, I really ddn't know what would come next, so that was nice. Would he relapse into a villain (albeit a somewhat sympathetic one)?

It might be said to be "about" the susceptibility to return to old ways/habits; and the power that is found in the purpose of service to others. Seeing Apollo grow even at his advanced age, and seeng Scotty grow out of his hatred were both very nice things. Very Star Trekky imho.

8. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

:beer::techman:

I think you have hit the nail on the head.... very well said.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's a very strange conclusion. Shows are cancelled for not attracting a large enough audience, but that audience is surely multiple times what any fan film gets, ever, and yet it's not enough because on commercial TV it's about eyeballs on ads. Just because a show is yanked for low numbers doesn't make it "not really that professional."

10. starburst

The reason it was so bad in TNG was exactly the reason you said, because she was a telepath she was on the bridge giving the captain advice something we didnt see any of Betazoids doing!

She always felt out of place and should have been doing Counselor type duties in Sickbay which is exactly how they have written this character.

Theres advising the Captain when hes having a crisis of conscience which is the job of a Councilor, a job we saw McCoy and odd other characters do in TOS - and then there was Troi's job which seemed to be the Captains go to girl when he wanted to know what someone was really thinking, which was most episodes!

This type of character is exactly what some people seem have been wanting from a Star Trek series for a while, a ships chaplan type character just without the religious angle which could and would alienate crew members. Someone people can go to and talk to when they have gone through the things the average red shirt goes through on a day to day basis and something both TNG and DS9 tried but didnt succeed with.

11. Bixby

Scotty grew out of his hatred, really? Any conflicts towards Apollo, IMHO, were almost ignored completely, sadly. In fact, I would have enjoyed this episode a LOT more if Scotty had been placed squarely in the center of the action, with Scotty still intensely bitter over Apollo stealing Carolyn's affections, adding his (I presume) failed relationship with Mira Romaine into the mix. Apollo the supremely arrogant Alpha Male bringing out all of these churning emotions to the point of violent conflict...

Now THAT I would have loved to see...AND it would have been a lot more relatable to more people, I would hazzard a guess...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. Bixby

Advising the Captain when he has a crisis of conscience, sure, but that sounds like a guest star role, NOT a recurring or regular role. Like Dr Sydney Freedman in M.A.S.H., who they used infrequently but with great effect and only when the story needed him...

Sorry, but there is NO need for a ship's counselor on a regular basis and especially with such easy access to the bridge and the ship's captain. This is what always bugged me about Picard and in my mind made him a lesser captain than Kirk. Kirk on his own, or with limited assistance from Spock and other personnel was able to make up his own mind AND outwit his adversary often without the help of telepathic touchy-feely juju. Yes, even Spock's telepathy was a very rare thing in those days...

13. starburst

Same here, thats why I would always say TOS over TNG and Kirk over Picard (sorry Sheldon and Leonard) ... TNG at times was too touchy feely and Troi should never have been on the Bridge as often as she was - ship with about 1000 crew and their families she should have been spending most of her time doing her job not sitting off on the Bridge waiting to be asked the intentions of the alien of the week.

Thankfully this one cant be like that, I would bet as she seems to have been well received by many plus she is soon to marry this series Kirk, she will make an appearance and hopefully with good reason instead of hanging round in the background in Sickbay or the Bridge. If I were writing I would have her chatting with background cast in the rec room, or an injured crewman in sickbay... you know doing her characters job.

14. plynch

Well, it's been two years. I've only watched this once, so I can't remember - did he and Carolyn ever connect, or was it just a crush? In Adonais, McCoy expresses his doubts that she felt Scotty was the right man for her. Where he apparently grows is in the final briefing room scene where he goes along with the other senior staffers in the plan to relocate Apollo.

Be well.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

^I said the same thing...this does look like it was filmed in the 60s and then remastered. "Who Mourns for Apollo" was one of my favourites, and this story followed it up very nicely. Eagerly looking forward to what comes next. I know I'll be watching this one again.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Bring down bits of the One True Cross while you're at it. Sheesh. Such hyperbole.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're just unable to process the skill and talent required to create such an amazing work as the one Hober Mallow posted. That's okay. In time, it will come to you, as it came to me.

20. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Turist Ömer Uzay Yolunda (translated: Ömer the Tourist in Star Trek) is one of a series of Turkish comedy (and I use the term "comedy" loosely) films starring the madcap character Ömer the Tourist--sort of like the series of Ernest Goes To... movies starring the late Jim Varney. You can find a bit more about this 1973 cinematic masterpiece at:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek_parodies_(film)

Our production got tired of waiting for further productions from them, and so we're working on Ömer the Tourist in Star Trek: Phase II. It will incorporate elements of the aborted Ömer the Tourist in Star Trek: Phase II" Turkish TV series that never got off the ground years ago--but with the addition of our 21st century sensibilities. But this is the really exciting part: we actually got Cemil Sahbaz to come back to play the role of the father of our Kaptan Kirk character. Who would have thought we'd get the Big Cheese himself in a fan production! We had to shall out a lot of dollars to secure his services. (Well, Turkish Lira.)