Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree! Nolan should have Superman played by an AMERICAN!

Just like he had Batman played by an...erm...

Never mind...

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this kind of brings us back to the fact that Supes is no longer an American citizen.

You know, they should have had those wheat fields in Superman played by American wheat fields instead of Canadian. Yeah...

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Metropolis being Vancouver in "Smallville" :)

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Australia in Superman Returns. :p

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clearly they're racebending if Clark isn't played by a Kryptonian.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Fucking Hollywood.

7. Admiral_Young

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha ha, nope. :lol: Laura Prepon and Jewel Staite are fine but don't think either of them have any more popularity than the other.

9. StarTrek1701

Christopher Reeve was a complete unknown when he was cast as Superman. :) I am not sure why my points have to have merits at all? I am not against this movie perse, I just don't think they are making good decisions about this movie at all. Same feelings I had about X-3, S:R and Watchmen. :shrug:

10. Admiral_Young

You're not talking about Superman though, you specifically singled out Amy Adams who is playing Lois Lane. That's fine if you don't think the production isn't making good decisions but calling Amy Adams an Old Hag is off base.

11. StarTrek1701

I find her akin to an old hag, sorry. I made it quite clear upthread what I meant by my comment.

On topic: having such a diversified rogues gallery to choose from in Superman mythos, why are they again falling back to General Zod? Why not Metallo, Brainiac or Parasite?

12. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

This thread is seriously being derailed. Amy Adams is clearly a well established, good actress who could easily pull IFC Lois Lane. She has the look and the acting chops. Just because she is older means nothing, plenty of actors/ actresses have played younger characters. I point you to Ashton Kutcher and Topher Grace who played teenagers in their twenties. I know, bad example, but still. I think of Madona when I hear old hag. Keven Costner is an Oscar winner and a paerfect choice for a mid-west farmer in his mid to late fifties. Regardless of his shitty movies, I think he's an excellent choice. To say someone must be an American to play Supes is rediculous, as long as you are a great actor it shouldnt matter. Look at Cristian Bale who played Bruce Wayne, Patrick Bateman, and John Connor. Johnny Depp who played Jack Sparrow, Cristopher Plumver played a Russian, Damniel Day Lewis who played a New Yirk gangster amongst other American characters. This is just a few examples. There is no logic to any of these arguments. Let's argue about the costume when it is revealed, but the casting is solid. I say this as a hard core Superman fan who came into this movie as a sceptic.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny, how people complained that Bosworth was too young, and now Adams is somehow too old. I think she is the perfect age, because LL shouldn't be a reporter who is fresh out of college starting the job, but someone who knows the ropes and has connections.

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Agreed, she should at least be 27-30 and Clark 25 or so.

15. Admiral_Young

Amy Adams is perfect for the role and really it just seems to be one person here who doesn't like the choice which is fine...the entire cast so far is strong though. Anyways chatter on the casting news front has seem to flatlined again. Haven't read any real rumors for a while. The Faora thing came out of no where so here's hoping we have some more news. I'm still waiting on the composer as well. I have a feeling that it's going to be Tyler Bates again. Unless Bates has other projects lined up I'm sure that is who Zach will pick.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And you don't know that it's not going to be either. At the minute, we have no idea how it will turn out.

Could you elaborate on this? I personally think that the all-American squeaky-clean decency that Costner has given in the likes of Field of Dreams, The Untouchables etc makes him perfect for this role, even if he's not the most diverse actor in the world.

There's an Australian playing Wolverine and another playing Thor, an Englishman playing Batman and another playing Spider-man, The Joker has been played by an Australian, Ra's Al Ghul and the Scarecrow were played by Irishmen, Mr Fantastic by a Welshman, The Red Skull by an Australian ... but you object to the casting of Kryptonians by an Englishman and American, respectively? Riiiiiiiiiight .....

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  17. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

To be fair, it's entirely possible that he objects to all of those as well.

;)

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, NYC was used in Superman Returns link.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    This is what Aragorn was making his joke about. :sigh:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011