Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Methos - appreciate the input. I'll try these today. On the hair I went with long parted in the middle and shine close to zero. Most of Jewel's photos seem to be that way. I don't know how to emulate her cheeks. Probably a trait from her Iroquios heritage.

Timelord - yeah, I've considered doing the Serenity crew, especially Jayne. I think he would be fun. I'd probably make him a human-looking alien since that would give more flexibility during creation. Like I said, I was just playing around.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is my take on Kaylee:

Unfortunately i lost the whole thing after I made the screenshot before I could save it.
    Since the toons are absolutely incapable of expression beyond a blank stare it looks as generic as most human based toons. Even though I used an alien.

[​IMG]

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you ever want to use a cruiser make sure you get the T3 Excelsior. The transwarp coil apparently reduces recharge times. I went from having to wait 14 or 15 mins between transwarping to only having to wait 5 mins. which is good for hoping around the galaxy really quickly.

4. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Yes; but if you skip out to the roster and list all who have one of the crit success things you need, the green will stand out to show you who has the success things also, or who has more than one.

5. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do'h...

just finished fitting the new graphics cards, wanted to log on and see how they coped... and the servers down...

M

6. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Have tried out the F2P model - I like it! :) Yay. Just played the "Everything old is new" mission - excellent stuff! Am slowly getting used to the controls. There's tons of studff to get the hang of, like training officers, duty officers and consoles. Still not overly keen on the plannet ground fightng stuff, but ship combat missions are good fun.

7. Timelord Victorious

Awesome daedalus5. Hope you want to show TrekBBS colors in the game as well and join our little fleet :D

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Today's maintenance brought some changes. You can now replicate some Holographic Duty Officers. There's also a pop up window that appears above the chat window when you acquire points, items, etc. (it goes away on its own and doesn't interfere with gameplay)

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

apparently the Jem Hadar got an update as well, not seen them yet to comment on that though

M

10. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've also added a tip jar for foundry authors. Players can donate dilithium in the amounts of 25, 50, or 100 for their favority foundry missions. Time for me to dust off that idea I've been sitting on and actually make a mission.

11. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I'm still waiting to get to buy foundry slots. Hopefully that will be soon.

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say the PvE queue system for STFs and FAs and the KDF and FED mirror events blows your assumption that Cryptic (aka 'they') 'frown on PUGs". The 'auto group' feature (which I disabled on my options settings is another indication that Cryptic supports and encourages PUGs - but from they early days of EQ in 1999 - my policy has been: "Just say no to PUGs..."; but Cryptic's in game system philosophy seems to ENCOURAGE PUGing.

(Just saying)

13. Kaziarl

But as you said, you can turn that off. You don't have to use public queues for the STFs and FAs, you can set private ones with people you know. Something that, in WoW for example, isn't as easy. Their dungeon finder isn't as good at giving you the option of teaming with friends unless you physically go to each one.

14. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

So... if I was to want to have someone else craft for me and I get them the resources, is that doable in STO?

15. Kaziarl

Yes it is, but I can't answer as to who you should talk too. Not sure who's got the higher crafting levels around here.

16. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Well, I suppose when I join the fleet SOMEONE will get a hold of me for it.

17. Bird of Prey

Played my first elite STF. I ran the KA space, and it took forever (about 45 mins). Donatra's ship alone took 30 mins, and about half way through, the entire zone unteamed. Weird. For rewards, I picked up a large engine consumable, 2 EDC's, and a purple Graviton Deflector Arrary MK XI [EM][CMS][Ins]. :techman:

I also ran a DOFF mission to turn over contraband, and I must have had a lot of contraband because that one DOFF mission gave me 2,000 dilithium. :eek:

18. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember playing on tribble I used to hold onto my contraband as it got used a lot to make weaponry through the DOFF system. Now I take the turn over contraband mission when ever I see as it allows rewards over 500 dl. First time I've seen a critical success though. Nice.

19. Bird of Prey

Sounds like fun. I've just started getting back into the STF's and would like to get the MACO gear. I'm running the elite KA space mission as it is one of the easier ones to run on elite, and the elite missions give higher gear. I've gone through the walkthrough on the STOwiki site and have a better understanding of the option objectives. I would recommend that people read those walkthroughs before entering an STF so that you know what the goals are. With a lot of new people entering the game, you get people running around shooting at everything they see. Looking forward to running some STF's with our fleet. :techman:

20. Timelord Victorious

If you are just after EDC, Infected Space Elite is the easiest. No fail option.
    Getting the Optional can even be done with an all cruiser team.

The way to go is:

Clear the trash mob.
    Prep all 4 nanite generators for destruction, get them to around 10-15%.
    Blow them all up at the same time.
    Don't bother with engaging the spheres that will spawn. Focus all fire on the transformer which will go down faster then any nanite sphere can reach it to heal it.
    Then it's a matter to focus on the newly arrived ships and clean up.
    Then repeat the same procedure on the other side.
    When the second transformer blows be carefull not to go anywhere near the tactical cube to avoid premature aggro.
    When second sphere waves are gone attack the gate from the backside.
    That just leaves the tac cube. If you had a smooth run so far you should at least have 5 minutes left.
    The tac cube has a habit of one-shotting even the toughest ships.
    Aggro managment is important here.
    Keep an eye in who gets targeted. A dedicated Tank can take it's fire with some well timed resists and good gear.
    Everyone else get out if range asap.
    If you keep hanging outside it's weapons range while targeted everyone else is save.
    As a tank I dive back in when my cooldowns are done to keep the aggro.
    You will never completely avoid dying and there is a death penalty in Elite STFs.
    You will accumulate injuries with each death that will reduce your effectivness severely. So bring a stock of repair components if each variity: minor, major and if you have some critical.
    Use it right after dying while the respawn timer is still counting down to save time.

Good luck. :techman:O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.