The Incredible Hulk heading back to television

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, no genuine spoilers for me, thanks. ;)

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

First Bourne, now... ;)

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh? There'd be no possible way of avoiding knowledge of Damon's absence in Legacy, if that's what you mean... to me, "spoilers" implies something you could reasonably hope to miss so long as you don't read many reviews or watch trailers. I didn't see any Iron Man 2 trailers, for instance, so the suitcase suit was a total (if rather silly) surprise.

4. JacksonArcher

I was referring to something else. Since you were right about what Universal is planning on doing with the Bourne franchise, and you say that the Hulk could die in The Avengers.... Do you see where I'm going with this? ;)

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

We all know Marvel will want to have a shocking and painful death that will cause ripples through the comic book world with such a beloved longtime character being killed off in The Avengers movie -- so Agent Coulson it is. :)

6. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joss is the King of the "surprise" death so the idea of one of the biggies dying in the film wouldn't be a total shock...

As for Hulk on TV, huh, where did that come from? I kinda wish they'd work on getting one really good Hulk movie before moving to the small screen (I don't dislike either previous, but neither came close to being classics) but I'll still be fascinated to check it out. More Hulk is good Hulk :techman:

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Ruffalo was talking recently about possibly starring in a Hulk solo film after The Avengers, so the Hulk clearly isn't set to die in the film - unless there are rewrites to change that.

Heat Vision reports that Cloak and Dagger is also in development as an ABC Family series. From Heat Vision:

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can see Luke Cage and Jessica Jones being good fits for television (as would the Punisher from a logistics and expense standpoint, though I'd never watch it), but the Hulk is an odd choice. Even the action in the Bixby/Ferrigno series, which was toned way, way down from the comics, was hugely expensive on a TV budget. And these days there'd be more of an expectation to see a CGI Hulk tossing tanks around, and it would either be damned expensive or damned cheesy-looking, or both.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Guillermo del Toro and David Eick will reportedly be pitching a take for the Hulk series.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Marvel in May pitched the original Heroes for Hire (with Luke Cage) and then the reboot Heroes for Hire(with Misty & Colleen) and called it Daughters of the Dragon?

I think it could have made more sense to combine the two. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty, and Colleen would have been the regulars.

Jessica Jones could have been a recurring character as well as a source of information(as a reporter).

11. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Maybe they'll do something like Bruce Jones run on the comic (Which was basically the TV show with some modern sensibilities) which inspired part of the second film.

12. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I would give it a shot. The original show was great, and I'm not opposed to a new version. I think Hulk is well suited to television.

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch that. Occasional guest spot by Matt Murdock, maybe? Hmm? Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  14. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Marvel currently doesn't have film/TV rights to Daredevil (those being held hostage, like those of the FF and the X-Men, by Fox), so I wouldn't count on seeing Matt Murdock turn up in any capacity. Which is a shame: Daredevil cries out for an adult, sophisticated TV adaptation.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Daredevil rights should revert back to Marvel pretty soon if Fox doesn't make use of them.

16. JacksonArcher

I'm glad Marvel is bringing The Punisher to cable TV. I think that's a good place for the character to flourish.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That list is very exciting (with the usual caveat of "if done well"). I wonder how many of them will ever make it out of the proposal stage, however. Heroes for Hire is the one that interests me the most, although I wonder what impact (if any) this has on the ventured Luke Cage film. I have a hard time seeing Hulk work as a weekly series (what I've seen of the old show has been pretty cheesy), and Ka-Zar would probably exhaust its premise in short order. I also find it strange that ABC Family would want Cloak and Dagger--I don't see their characters lending themselves to family-safe far (not to mention they would have to--tragically--tone down Dagger's costume).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's a misconception that's been going around the 'net since this story broke.

ABC Family is not a kids-safe channel. They routinely show programs and movies rated TV-PG to TV-14. They're called "ABC Family" because they have different shows for different family members. A Cloak & Dagger series could easily be a TV-14 series or at least TV-PG.

If they tone down Dagger's costume, it probably won't be because it may offend kids but because someone thought it was silly or impractical for a woman to be dressed like that in real life, IMO...

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree with this. Jones is also vital to the Hulk's character, as the Hulk was created by Banner saving the kid from his own stupidity. The essence of Hulk's origin is that no good deed goes unpunished.

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the heroic act of Banner and the survivor's guilt of Rick are some interesting character traits that have been very unexplored in other media until now. The only other adaptation I can recall Rick Jones being used in was the 1980s animated series.