YOU! The Contrarian

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by He'sDeadJim, Dec 14, 2009.

1. He'sDeadJim

He'sDeadJim Ensign Red Shirt

What episodes do you not like that, generally speaking, others like?

What episodes do you like that others, generally, don't like

I have a hard time watching:

Whispers
    Hard Time
    Little Green Men
    Far Beyond The Stars

I have enjoyed watching:

Family Business
    Man Alone
    Civil Defense

2. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Fascination. It's just like all those ridiculous, embarrassing episodes like Let He Who is Without Sin..., except that somehow it's really entertaining!

There are a few classic episodes that I think are a bit overrated, most notably The Maquis and Homefront/Paradise Lost, although I don't dislike them.

3. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do not like the Visitor. Do not.

I didn't mind Facination either- I like humour. I got a kick out of that one where Quark dresses up like a woman too. I liked Little Green Men, it's hilarious!

I'd have to check the popular list, where ever it's gone...

4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

5. OldManDax

OldManDax Captain Captain

I don't like The Visitor as much as most people here, even though I like the Sisko/Jake relationship a lot. I find it a bit overwrought.

And I had quite a few problems with The Final Chapter.

6. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I did not care for "Far Beyond the Stars" (too heavy-handed) and "Children of Time" ("No I won't sacrifice my life for yours, but I will help you with your farming chores." Hummmm.... where is this going to end up I wonder?)

I liked "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" (I don't see what's so wrong with it) and "The Magnificent Ferengi" (one of my top ten actually).

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't realise those were generally unpopular episodes.

8. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I sometimes feel alienated in here for seemingly being the only one person who doesn't find "Duet" enthralling. People rank it as one of the best episodes and I wouldn't even put it in a top 50. The guest star is great, but I hate the rest of the episode. I perk up during his scenes, but the rest of the episode bores the hell out of me.

I don't understand why a lot of people seem to be sour on "The Emperor's New Cloak". I think it's no worse than any of the mirror episodes and maybe even a little better than some of them.

I didn't think "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" was unpopular, but if it is, I'm part of a minority of its fans, because it's one of my top 5 favourite episodes. It may be a light, inconsequential episode, but I find it way more engaging than the "In the Pale Moonlight", which I think is good, but way overrated.

9. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I like 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' too! I also like 'Chrysalis' which sometimes doesn't seem to have a lot of love.

10. Marie1

I like it in part because of the mystery- because of the touching guilt of the Cardassian, because it shows that Kira can go beyond racism, even though the race brutalized her people, and see the good in people, acknowledge their ability to change. With a "terrorist" like Kira- that's important.

I did not like Badda-bing Badda-bang. Mostly, I thought it was a terrible waste of time.

11. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

i watched 'the abandoned' today. had seen it before, but thankfully forgotten what it was about, and hope i'll manage again. is it a highly regarded episode around here? i also hope to learn one day that the borg assimilated the whole jem'hadar bunch.

12. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked The Muse. I found Ambassador Troi to be a sympathetic character in that episode. (I usually find her annoying.) Fascination is one of my guilty pleasures. It's so stupid that it's funny.

I didn't like Far Beyond the Stars. I found the whole Benny Russell thing to be overdone, even though I usually like storylines with the Prophets. I also didn't much care for Hard Time.

13. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

Hey, I can be contrary, too. "I loved Far Beyond the Stars". :techman:

14. carlmarx

carlmarx Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't think "If Wishes Were Horses" was as bad as its made out to be. How anyone can think it's worse than "The Passenger" is beyond me.

"Little Green Men" I could take or leave. Goofy Ferengi episodes could be funny, but for me not one has entertainment value evn remotely close to the really powerful, dramatic shows like "In The Pale Moonlight" or "Duet" or "In Purgatory's Shadow".

"Fascination" I kinda liked just because it gets to a point where it's sooo over-the-top, ridiculously bad, that you just kinda have to sit back and laugh. The episode's a big joke, not to be taken seriously by any means, and in that context, I can laugh at it. Unlike season 3's other agreed-upon failure, "Meridian", which made me wanna puke. I wanted to cry at the end of "Chimera", the polar opposite to "Meridian" IMO when it comes to relationship episodes.

15. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Based on this thread, it seems that Fascination is actually a rather liked episode, so I guess I might be a contrarian for absolutely despising it? :)

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um, Keiko O'Brien? I liked her a lot. Especially in "In the Hands of the Prophets".

And never fear, DevilEyes, I too am not a "Fascination" fan.

Those are fun episodes, but then Duet/In the Pale Moonlight are my favourite episodes of the run. ;)

17. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

I never got what people see in "The Visitor." It's not like I don't like the Benjamin/Jake thing either. I loved "Explorers" and I was tearful at the end of "Nor the Battle to the Strong." Maybe I just couldn't accept Tony Todd as an older Jake. The actor has a VERY distinctive voice and I have a hard time accepting him as anyone but Kurn. I really like him as Kurn but he is NOT Jake.

I don't even know what to make of "Far Beyond the Stars." It's a great character piece for Sisko/Brooks and a showcase for the other actors to demonstrate their acting prowess but it was just weird.

On the other hand, I really like "Let He Who is Without Sin." I understand that Worf was somewhat out of character here and that there should have been serious consequences and follow-ups to his actions but I found the whole thing fun and enjoyable.

I absolutely loved "Chrysalis." I thought the Do Re Mi scene was the most touching thing in all of Star Trek. I do think Julian's failure to see the moral implications of his infatuation for Serena to be out of character but he was in the middle of the Dominion War! I think he should be allowed some leeway here. Plus, Julian is often shown to be full of himself. It's a constant theme. He IS brilliant bur he constantly overestimates himself relative to the abilities of his peers.

I'm mostly with the crowd otherwise. On otherwise controversial issues/episodes:

I mostly like the DS9 take on the Ferengi except for Zek. I mean, c'mon! This is the head of state of one of the most powerful interstellar powers of the Alpha Quadrant! He should have commanded a lot more respect than he did.

I loved Vic Fontaine.

I loved The Siege of AR 558. I thought it was a very powerful episode. I also loved its followup, "It's Only a Paper Moon," as a very realistic portrayal of the consequences of war.

I thought "Badda Bing, Badda Bang" was fun.

Jadzia>Ezri by a wide margin.

Mary Ann>Ginger by a wide margin. Oops! Wrong show!

I hated the Pah Wraith crap.

I hated the destruction of the Dukat character after "Sacrifice of Angles."

I loved where they went with Damar.

I loved Section 31 but I hated "Extreme Measures." Sloan gets fooled that easily? I don't think so!

18. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

I quite like The Passenger, which was an interesting concept, with a comedic ending due to Siddig's acting.

I also like Babel, If Wishes were Horses, Dramatis Personae, Fascination, all the mirror episodes, Distant Voices, The Reckoning, Valiant, Chrysalis, Badda-Bing Badda-Bang, and Extreme Measures quite a lot more than other people. Yes, I do have a hard time disliking episodes.

As for episodes I don't like, I absolutely HATE HATE HATE :klingon: Progress. It was just a boring story with a grumpy old boring guest character, and pretty much a very inferior Duet.

Take Me Out to the Holosuite was another one I didn't really like, mainly because it's the only place I've ever seen a baseball game, and the only place I want to see one.

Soldiers of the Empire was my least favourite Klingon episode, which puts it pretty much at the bottom of my pile, with only Meridian and Progress struggling beneath it.

Other than that, I'm with the crowd on the rest of the episodes.

19. Marie1

We eat the Borg for breakfast. And we have adorable children... whom petty humans cannot control, even when they're a few days old. :evil:

20. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

I see that liking Ezri makes me a contrarian, too. I know there is a short story detailing how she got the Symbiont, but there is very little in the series that makes it clear she has a doctorate in psychiatry, which even in the 20th century required one to get their MD first. I don't think they ever give her a chance. She shows up in New Orleans looking for the one person who was a friend of the symbiont through the two previous hosts. They make a story about how she can help Garak with his claustrophobia. She goes back to New Sydney to develop some backstory. Then she goes off to bring back Worf and they decide not to get back together. Then she kisses Bashir. Where is the person who can get an MD, then specialize in psychiatry, then pass officer training for Starfleet? She's lost inside there with all those past lives trying to assert themselves.

If I were to write an Ezri story, I would have her talking with a holographic replica of Carl Jung and they would be analyzing her dreams. She needs to find what is uniquely Ezri, something worth holding onto for her self-respect. Otherwise she will just continue to be at the mercy of Dax's past hosts.

I am hoping to get the Destiny novels for Christmas.