Batman: Arkham Asylum (Video Game)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Feb 13, 2009.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I didn't see a thread on this (somewhat old news though) so I thought I'd post a link to the trailer for this upcoming game.

Trailer

Also seems to be a reunion of the Batman TAS Cast (but the Joker sounds more like the The Batman Joker to me than Mark Hamill).

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Will this be released on PS2?

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

That is unmistakably Mark Hamill.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Mark Hamill, but it's substantially different than "The Animated Series" Joker.

5. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

It doesn't seem that different to me. Perhaps it sounds a little off from the compressed youtube audio. (unless you mean the visual design)

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Something about it when I first heard it reminded me of the guy from The Batman. I can hear Hamill in it, but he reminded me more of that one by Keith Michael Richardson. I can't explain it.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it will be a cool game.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to say that Wikipedia only lists: Playstation 3, Windows, and X-Box 360.

9. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

During the making of Batman Beyond : ROTJ, they deliberately asked MH to tone down his wild Joker routine, to make him seem a bit creepier by this relative calmness, among other things that involve plot spoilers. Perhaps that new take has carried over to this. Is this MH's first Joker since his JL appearance?

As we all know, when MH played the Trickster on live-action Flash, it opened the door for him to voice Joker. I loved it in JLU's final season when he voiced Trickster, but did so in what was essentially his own voice, with almost no inflection. I think that was his last voicing in the Timmverse.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think the last time he player Joker was for the deleted story board sequence on Tim Burton's Batman DVD.

As for the game, I'll wait for the demo to pass judgement. After all, excellent voice actors and good graphics do not a good game make.

11. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Oooooh, that looks awful purty. The art style reminds me of the "Judge Dredd/Batman" crossover from the 90's (which I liked).

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That's a very good point.

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen bits about this game trickling out over the last couple months, and it sounds pretty cool. Arleen Sorkin is also back as Harley Quinn, but I think that's it for the TAS voice cast returning.

At this point, I don't think I'll pre-order it, but at the very least I'll give it a rental to see if it's worth a purchase. I'm itching for a good Batman game.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm...if this game takes place all inside Arkham, I can see two things:

1) The game is somewhat short.

2) Arkham is a HELL OF A LOT bigger than previously established in any incarnation of Batman and has a TON more prisoners (assuming that Bats will face off against many henchmen).

Not that #2 will make or break the game. It'll be just an interesting observation, if true.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last Batman game I bought was Batman: Vengeance from the previous generation of consoles. Looked exactly like The Animated Series, with the same voices and everything, which was cool. But the gameplay felt broken.

16. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I liked Vengeance, it was a decent brawler. Other than that though, nothing special.

Personally, I'm still holding out for my GTA-style Gotham City game...where you have to play as the Dark Knight and start from scratch, building up where you go and how you start your crusade on crime...

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

You can see Arkham in one of the other Teasers.

Teaser Trailer 1 - You can see the outside and it looks HUGE!
    Teaser Trailer 2

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

OT: In a recent episode of Smallville there was a poster in a background shot for Grand Theft Auto: Gotham City.

19. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me, the voice reminded me a bit of the voice for Scarface from TAS. Is it really Mark Hamill? And in the course of the game, does he fight through his classic Rogue's Galley that are usually imprisoned in Arkham?

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I got Vengeance and the gameplay was horrible. A sandbox type Batman game would be awesome. Y'know what would be a great premise? No Man's Land. The game starts when Bats returns to the city and he has take it back block by block, slowly transforming the city. At first the roads are all clogged with wreckage so you have to fly everywhere, but when you "win" a block the road gets cleared and then you can ride the Batmobile on it. That would be awesome.